• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gurkha Platinum Tubos Chruchill

proraptor

Banned
Description: Crafted with the fine Dominican long-fillers and a hand-selected, aged Dominican Maduro wrapper leaf and triple-infusion of Louis XIII Cognac.

Size: 7.5 X 52

Prices CI: $13.33 Cigar Bid: $8.00-$10.00

Last night I decided to BBQ a nice flank steak, steam some vegetables, and bake some biscuits for my Fiancé. Along with the nice meal I decided I wanted to smoke a nice cigar afterwards. I opened my small collection and the glass tube and silver sealer wax of this cigar caught my eye so I decided to give it a try.

First of all the cigar comes in a glass tube that is sealed on the open end with silver wax making this cigar very appealing to the eyes. The wax is a pain in the rear end to remove to get the cigar out. I ended up using a knife and chipped away at it for a good 1-2 minutes before the aroma of the cognac finally hit my nose. The cognac smell was really strong and worried me a bit as I’m not really into cognac.

The cigar was compacted nicely but did have a few soft spots towards the ends which kind of disappointed me for the price range but overall the cigar looked well constructed so I got over it pretty quick. I proceeded to toast and then light the cigar with my butane lighter.

First impressions were that the cognac smell I encountered earlier really had an impact on the taste of the cigar. The flavor of the cognac was really overwhelming the natural flavors of the cigar itself. I guess when they mention it’s been triple infused with cognac that was my warning but I decided to try it anyways. The cigar reminded me of some of the highly flavor able acid cigars but with a less favorable taste. (I’m a huge fan of the Acid Kuba Kuba)

Half way through it seemed the cognac flavor mellowed out a bit. I’m not sure if that’s how the cigar was built or that the cigar had more contact with open air and just had to open up a bit and release the overpowering cognac smell/taste. The cigar was actually starting to get pretty good as I started tasting the natural flavors of the tobacco and not all cognac flavors.

The last 1/3 of the cigar lost a lot of the cognac flavor and the natural flavors of the cigar decided to finally show up which got me really excited. This cigar is one long puppy at 7.5 inches and I just wished the cigar opened up the natural flavors sooner to make it a much better smoke. I would consider this cigar a finger burner if you can get though the first parts of it with the overpowered smell and taste of the cognac.

Final thoughts: At $8.00-$10.00 a pop on Cigar Bid I thought I was going to get a quality smoke out of all 7.5 inches but the overpowering cognac flavor/taste made me a little nauseous at first but mellowed out as I smoked it. I just wish that Gurkha would cut out the physical presentation with the glass tube and wax sealed end and work on the cognac to natural tobacco flavor ratio a bit. Would I go out of my way to buy this cigar? No but I can say smoking this cigar wasn’t a complete waste of my time

I just wish that Gurkha would ... work on the cognac to natural tobacco flavor ratio a bit.

Yeah, by reducing it to zero! :sign:

But seriously, thanks for the detailed review.

You know what though I think I might try another one but take it out of that tube 1-2 days before I smoke it....Maybe that cognac smell/taste will mellow out a little

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed review. I haven't smoked a Ghurka in years, and thanks to your post, I don't intend to for the forseable future. By and large I was dissapointed by the poor quality tobacco. I was attracted to the marketing (the boxes and presentation looked beautiful. Also they seemed liked such a steal on C-Bid, until I realized that I didn't like any of their offerings).

This is one of my top favs, As you described you get 3 flavor sections in the cigar and I did burn the fingertips from this stogie.....the only problem is none of my local stores carry it...will have to check out cigarbid.

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed review. I haven't smoked a Ghurka in years, and thanks to your post, I don't intend to for the forseable future. By and large I was dissapointed by the poor quality tobacco. I was attracted to the marketing (the boxes and presentation looked beautiful. Also they seemed liked such a steal on C-Bid, until I realized that I didn't like any of their offerings).

Yeah I know a couple guys that swear by gurkhas....Ive only smoked a couple and I just ordered a 5er of gurkha doble maduros....If those arent that good then Im going to look elswhere....Maybe obsidians or 3000's

Yeah I know a couple guys that swear by gurkhas....Ive only smoked a couple and I just ordered a 5er of gurkha doble maduros....If those arent that good then Im going to look elswhere....Maybe obsidians or 3000's

Definate on the 3000s Maddies. The Gurkha doble maduro I had was average, neither bad nor exceptional. Come to think of it that describes every Gurka I have ever had.

Definate on the 3000s Maddies. The Gurkha doble maduro I had was average, neither bad nor exceptional. Come to think of it that describes every Gurka I have ever had.

I have to agree with you on the gurkhas....I have a couple friends that swear they are some of the finest cigars....I havent been impressed.....If these doble mduros arent any good Im going to look at padilla or padron for maddies

I really REALLY like the Legends and the Grand Age! The Fuerte and Ancient Warrior are also pretty good. All the rest... well bleh is my only opinion on them.

If you haven't had a Legend yet I'd suggest you try one before writing Gurkha off for good.

I feel like Gurkha is advertised as a super premium stick by both CI/Cbid and Cigar.com, when it really isn't. Look up the prices for the singles, then look at the "deals" they have. Often, they are giving away cigars they list as 23$ smokes in sampler packs for about 5$ a stick instead... I think that's pretty weird. I haven't had any exceptional ones, but I do have a Gurkha Beast, Titan, Presidente, and a few Regents sitting in my vinotemp ATM. Your friends may have it in their minds that Gurkha is the best, well, because Cigar.com and CI says they are. I have trouble finding Gurkhas in even the most well-rounded B&Ms. It's an odd brand.

On an equally relevant note, thank you for the review! I'm surprised you like Acid cigars, but not a flavored Gurkha.

I really REALLY like the Legends and the Grand Age! The Fuerte and Ancient Warrior are also pretty good. All the rest... well bleh is my only opinion on them.

If you haven't had a Legend yet I'd suggest you try one before writing Gurkha off for good.

I haven't tried either the Legends or the Grand Age. I highly respect your tastes in cigars, so it looks like I'm going to have to hunt some of these down. Goes to show that one should base individual lines of cigars on their own merit, rather than on the brand alone.

I haven't tried either the Legends or the Grand Age. I highly respect your tastes in cigars, so it looks like I'm going to have to hunt some of these down. Goes to show that one should base individual lines of cigars on their own merit, rather than on the brand alone.

Thanks for the compliment :blush:

Like I said in this thread... http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=37553

Try to get the Torpedos, they are a lot better than the perfecto! And let them rest for a good while.

These are good smokes; the only flavored cigar I like. I need to get some of these for the Acid lovers here...

Most of the Gurkha line I've tried has been crap, like others said. Legend and Regent are the only two that are decent, imo. If you can let a Royal Brigade sit around for a while, it's not a bad mild cigar, just too light for my tastes, though. :)

Thanks for the review.

---John Holmes...

Nice review!

To add to the Gurkha discussion, the only one I've had was a Legend Silver Edition Robusto, and I liked it a lot. Very smooth and even burn, nicely made, and a good mellow to spicy transition from start to finish.

Edited for clarity...

So the question is should I spend my money and try some more gurkhas or would my money be spent elsewhere?

Thanks Wurm....But it looks like that deal is only for today.....Ive gone way over budget already this month so I have to keep it cool....Ill give those a try though

Thanks again

Thanks Wurm....But it looks like that deal is only for today.....Ive gone way over budget already this month so I have to keep it cool....Ill give those a try though

Thanks again

Over budget... I commit it almost every month... But, I will say I have never had a problem with Gurkha and really enjoy this brand. I don't claim it to be the best or the highest, I can tell it isn't based on the great prices that can be had for these. But I do enjoy them thoroughly. I love the taste, the construction, the artwork, the philosophy, and the quality of the tobacco. I'm a big fan of Gurkha! In fact, I'm probably going to buy a sampler in the next few days on CBid or CI.