• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guys that ride......Be Careful

TBaGZ

I'm around...
So it's been a bit since I have been on here and that's because I was in an accident and got pretty banged up and couldn't really do much but lay around and watch tv/sleep. Lately I have been able to get up and get out a little and my hand is feling better so i thought I would come outside and enjoy my first smoke since the accident and get online. Feels damn good!!!

Anyway, about the accident. I Was on my bike (primary transportaion with gas prices) heading to go watch a buddy play hockey at the arena when the next thing I know I am waking up in a helicopter and they are telling me I was in an accident. I don't remember anything except for leaving my neighborhood and heading down the road. I started freaking out at first but then calmed down for a minute and told the lady to take my phone and call my wife. Then went back to freaking out and trying to get up and get the mask off my face. Next thing I know is I woke up in the hospital and my wife tells me that a guy in a pickup truck came into my lanebefore he made a left turn hitting me head on and all he could say was "I didn'Thankfully I always ride with my helmet on and it pretty much saved my life because the cop said on my way over the truck I must have bounced my head off the hood because there was paint from my helmet and dents on it.The helmet was scratched to shit and the shell was cracked in in the front. A week later I had surgery to pin my shoulder back together (which is now almost back to normal). So here I am now still in a hand brace and a big boot on my foot holding it in place but I can walk on it. Thankfully the bones in my neck turned out to be a false alarm after suffering for weeks in a neck brace (how bad I think the hospital treated me and screwed up on my neck is another story). But anyways I am getting tired of typing and just want to tell everyone that rides to watch out for assholes and WEAR A HELMET!!

Glad to have you back, sorry to hear about the accident. Also glad to hear you recovering well. Enjoy the waited stick.

Paul

Glad it wasn't worse Brother. I have been there myself, and want to wish you luck to a great recovery!

Thanks guys.

O and I have never had more bruises on my body before.. The inside of my thighs were completely black and blue and I have always wanted to be hung like a black guy but I meant in size not just color! :0

Here is wishing you a speedy recovery. Helmets do save lives! Had my 101 critical days of summer safety briefing this weekend.

Glad you are doing better. I ride to work every ridable day. I always wear my Kevlar Motoport jacket, and of course a helmet is manditory in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. I always wear a helmet. I bounced my helmet on the ground a couple of times in my life. I just hate PRK telling me I must. Riders don't forget to wear good boots also.

Take care and mend well.

Willie
BMW R1200/RT

Glad to have you back, and hope your full recovery takes place as quickly as it can.

Edited to add -

Also having extensively ridden bikes myself, I can attest to the fact that helmets (even 1/2 helmets like I used to wear) will save your noggin. Not required here in FL, but anytime I do get back on a bike, it's not without one on.

Yeah if I had my boots on my foot might not be as messed up as it is. I only had on sneakers and the laces got caught on something and they were ripped off of my feet.

Glad you are okay, or at least, getting better.

I had a motorcycle and sold it. Too dangerous. Nothing like being caught in Santa Ana winds on a motorcycle. Once the wind pushed me into the next lane. :0 That was the beginning of the end of my motorcycle riding.

Unless you ride your motorcycle everyday and you bought the thing used, I don't see much savings to justify a motorcycle. As you can see from your accident, you didn't save a dime.

I'm glad to hear your ok. As bad as it was it sounds like your very fortunate it wasn't worse. Helmets do save lives, the only thing that bothers me (about riders) more than seeing one riding without a helmet is seeing one riding with his helmet strapped to the back like a fashion accessory.

I don't ride myself, but hopefully will be sometime in the not too distant future (I'm a college student and I live with my parents, mentioned a bike once to my mom and she went ape shit, so out of respect for them while I live in their house and they support me I won't get a bike). I will say after I started getting interested in bikes I really started to notice how many bikes are out there on the street, I was oblivious before.

TBagz, a question for you; What kind of helmet were you wearing, I'm just curious whatever it was definitely did it's job well.

It's good that your back and I hope the rest of your recovery goes well.

~Darrell

Welcome back and glad to hear you're up and about and finally had a smoke! Take it easy and get that full recovery. I too ride a bike and know how dangerous the roads can be. Ya just never know...

I'm glad you are going to be OK.

I never owned a car until after I was married the first time, That meant that I rode a motorcycle in all kinds of weather while I lived 45 miles west of Chicago. 14 miles one way to work all through the winter of 1970 was an experience I won't soon forget!

During the years that I rode, I flipped it end over end once. It was my helmet, with a flat spot on the front top where it slid on the pavement, that kept that crushing, scraping blow from maiming or killing me.

Yea the wind feels great through your hair, but when s**t happens you will sure be happy to have that protection on your head!

Glad to hear you came out on the upside of that.....and totally agree with you. Helmets are an essential part of the kit you need for riding....just like gloves, long pants, boots and a jacket (preferably with reflective material).......toooooooo many idiots out there.

Thanks...

TBagz, a question for you; What kind of helmet were you wearing, I'm just curious whatever it was definitely did it's job well.

~Darrell

It was an HJC helmet...Might not be the most exspensive but it was the most comfortable to me and well it did it's job thank god.

Got some bad news today. My foot isn't healing correctly, the bones are mending but the doctor thinks I might need to have it pinned together to keep the joint from dislocating again. Also he thinks I might have a torn miniscus so that will also be surgery. I have to go for an MRI on my knee and CT scan on my foot to find out what the deal is.

~Darrell

It was an HJC helmet...Might not be the most exspensive but it was the most comfortable to me and well it did it's job thank god.

Got some bad news today. My foot isn't healing correctly, the bones are mending but the doctor thinks I might need to have it pinned together to keep the joint from dislocating again. Also he thinks I might have a torn miniscus so that will also be surgery. I have to go for an MRI on my knee and CT scan on my foot to find out what the deal is.

I've heard great things about HJC, a lot of people think of them as being inferior because of there low price, but from what I've heard they make some of the best street helmets available.

Sorry to hear about the possible additional surgeries. It's good that they are being caught now and being taken care of rather than finding out later down the line once they get worse.

Good luck.

Gook luck.

Is that better then italian luck? lol

I'm not letting anything get caught later...I wanna be fixed now damn it lol And the faster they fix me the faster I can go after some money :)

Glad you are ok, it is a scary thing.
I went down on my Road King 2 years ago. Guy in front of me stopped short for no reason, I hit the breaks and the bike just went out. I slid down the road a ways, but lucklily didn't hit anything or get hit by anything. I broke my ankle and got a ton of road rash (no jacket on of course :0 ). Road rash was so bad I had to have one of my tattoos redone as it was scraped off. Funny thing is, I was only wearing a half helmet and I did not think my head hit anything, but afterwards, I looked and my helmet was completely gauged on the right side and scratched up pretty bad in the front. So I would have been in big trouble without a helmet. I always thought it would be cool to ride without a helmet, but after that I would never do it. It is taking your life in your hands.

Dave