• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Habanos for the Spainish market

MOTO69JOE

I am heading to Spain for holiday next week. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I should pick up that I can only get there?

You should be able to find the Vegas Robaina Maestros (Regional Edition for Spain). I think they retailed there for 95-100 Euro per box of ten. Spain might have some discontinued cigars still around, like the Partagas Lonsdale or Ramon Allones 898. Let us know what you find :thumbs:

I can't say what would be available, but if you are passing through Barcelona, you should stop by the Gimeno smoke shop. They are right on the main drag, Las Ramblas, which is a very nice place to spend an evening. I have not been there in a few years, but they had a great inventory and very good customer service.

link removed

I can't say what would be available, but if you are passing through Barcelona, you should stop by the Gimeno smoke shop. They are right on the main drag, Las Ramblas, which is a very nice place to spend an evening. I have not been there in a few years, but they had a great inventory and very good customer service.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:rolleyes:

Would that be a 'source'?

Not for those from the US since it would be illegal to buy from them. I was under the impression that all the cigar stores in Spain were state run. Perhaps that is not the case.

It doesn't strike me as a "source" as you can't seem to buy anything from their website. Although I suppose in the strictest interpretation of the edict, it could be construed as such.

I'd more reasonably consider it a travel sightseeing recommendation.

Wilkey

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:rolleyes:

Would that be a 'source'?

No.

It is the same as when I say... "Hey if you happen to be in Nürnberg, stop by at the Casa del Puro, they will treat you right!"

Here I am also very much in disagreement with Wilkey in regards to his "Although I suppose in the strictest interpretation of the edict, it could be construed as such." statement.

There is a big difference between mentioning a shop (B&M) that someone actually has to leave the United States to visit (regardless if they have a internet site or not) and posting the web address of an online shop that might or might not ship illegal merchandise to the USA.

FOMOCO didn't not say "And remember you can order online from them too! *hint hint nudge nudge wink wink*" He made a recommendation to MOTO69JOE of a good place to visit and enjoy himself at while he is in Spain. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was a bit concerned about the whole source thing, but It was only a sightseeing recommendation. Barcelona is a beautiful city, and if I ever return, I will certainly stop by Gimeno and legally enjoy a few cigars on Las Ramblas.

Last I heard, Habanos distribution and pricing is controlled by the government in Spain.

Here I am also very much in disagreement with Wilkey in regards to his "Although I suppose in the strictest interpretation of the edict, it could be construed as such." statement.

There is a big difference between mentioning a shop (B&M) that someone actually has to leave the United States to visit (regardless if they have a internet site or not) and posting the web address of an online shop that might or might not ship illegal merchandise to the USA.
That's fine. But the very succinct language of the warning at the top of the Cuban Cigar Discussion forum, "PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS SOURCES (THAT MEANS, DON'T TALK ABOUT CUBAN CIGAR RETAILERS)" does not rule out such an interpretation. I consider it a strict interpretation in the sense of a simplistic, word for word, fundamentalist interpretation. On that basis, such an intent cannot be discounted. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

I do agree that it would not be one of the more reasonable readings of the language and indicated such in my post.

Rod either intentionally or unintentionally wrote it as basically as he did and that leaves the working out the nuances of the interpretation in real-world cases up to the community in dialogs just like this one.

Wilkey

I will certainly stop by Gimeno and legally enjoy a few cigars on Las Ramblas.

It's somewhat academic, as you're not likely going to run across any US law enforcement personnel while doing so, but it is unlawful for US citizens to purchase Habanos anywhere in the world.

I don't see any particular harm in posting that web address, but it might be best to edit it out anyway.

It's somewhat academic, as you're not likely going to run across any US law enforcement personnel while doing so, but it is unlawful for US citizens to purchase Habanos anywhere in the world.
Right, that's the law. As bizarre as it may sound.

Wilkey

Wilkey

Thanks, I was unaware of that part of the law. Was this updated in the 2004 version or has it always been that way?

BTW, I did not say I would enjoy a Cuban cigar. Cigars from other countries are sold in Spain.

Wilkey
Thanks, I was unaware of that part of the law. Was this updated in the 2004 version or has it always been that way?

BTW, I did not say I would enjoy a Cuban cigar. Cigars from other countries are sold in Spain.
That I don't know. I seem to recall it was part of the original embargo language but I'm not sure. Helms-Burton primarily clamped down on travel, remittances, and non-licensed importation IIRC.

I hear Canary Island cigars are quite enjoyable. :)

Wilkey

Thanks for the clarification, Mike!

The Embargo's going on 50 years soon. Maybe we ought to have a party? :sign:

Wilkey

I don't see any particular harm in posting that web address, but it might be best to edit it out anyway.

I'm starting to think that many of you have the idea that the B&Ms over here only sell Cuban cigars... I've spent a entire wonderful day in the Casa del Puro, smoked 6 cigars, and didn't break the law once.

And Wilkey thats why I think you can forget a "BY THE BOOK AND LETTER" interpretation of the red text up at the top of this forum. especially if you read the thread that caused it to be there...

I have noticed a trend here that probably needs discussing. We all need to remember that Cuban cigars are illegal in this country. We can all talk about having this or that cuban cigar on the board and that's fine. I for one think that all talk about sources, shipping methods, or what ever else is involved in the obtaining of cubans should be done by PM or email. Customs is aware that cuban cigars are coming into this country. They confiscate many boxes everyday. They aren't aware of all the different methods that are used, but will be if it's discussed openly. Many a good source has been lost because of this. If Don Smith is getting cubans into the country in pokadot boxes labeled peppermint sticks that's great, but if too many people learn of it or post about the pokadot box they got in the mail that source will dry up. Let's all use our heads, use private means to talk about sources.

Disclaimer: This post isn't aimed at any one person but to all of us as a reminder. I'm as guilty as anyone else talking about this box or that shipping bag or the color of the bands. I know that I'll be more careful in the future, hope everyone else is also.

...found in the Sources 101 thread http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=3244

Not talking about where to order online or how a certain source ships is pure common sense, and the reasoning behind the red text warning.

But saying that someone recommending a place to go, shouldn't be allowed when another brother is on vacation and posts that he is looking for a good cigar shop to visit, is pushing the boundaries of logic.

I'm not arguing with you bro, I think we are both on the same sheet of music, I'm just making sure you see my full point of view. Gary likes playing the forum policeman sometimes and this time I think he blew his whistle too soon and I wanted to show why.

The government regulates the prices, but the shops are individually owned. It is the same in France. You pay the same price everywhere.

All of Europe is that way. Spain has the best prices for cigars in Europe BTW.

*edit to fix my quotes

I'm starting to think that many of you have the idea that the B&Ms over here only sell Cuban cigars... I've spent a entire wonderful day in the Casa del Puro, smoked 6 cigars, and didn't break the law once.

Thread title is "Habanos for the Spainish market," so it's pretty reasonable to assume that we're discussing Cubans here.

That said, when I started reading ECCJ a couple/few years ago, I was surprised at how many Noncuban brands were discussed and advertised that I'd never heard of.

Yes, the law was amended in 2004.

Linky please.

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Linky

Thanks for the link:

This remove the $100 purchase for folks who were 'registered' to do so.
I believe it has always been that you could not buy (if you weren't registered) cuban products anywhere.
edit to add - this is interesting, I'll take it off this thread and look for more details (thanks!)

------------------------------------------

Wurm - you're too funny.

I asked a question. You fella's answered it - thank you!