• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Habanos shops around the world

Christoph

Well, I went to Europe last year for the first time in my young life, and I haven't had the chance to share some of the stories or pics from that trip here, I'd also like to apologize for my rude behaviour when first becoming a member here and coming right out asking for sources and verification on suspect Cubans etc..

it was hard before with no point of reference of what the genuine artical was and having ones only experience from trusting someone on the internet,

ok, pics and stories time,

my first destination was Rome, Italy, I had planned to grab a coiuple of smokes in the Duty free shops of Heathrow on the stop before Rome, but I was with the girlfriend and completely exhausted after the 15 hour flight so I didn't get a chance,

on my first day in Rome I had a tour for most of the day, but at night I went back to Piazza Navona (one of the destinations of the day tour) and happened across a Habanos dealer where I picked up a Monte No.1 and a PSD No. 4

Little Shop in Piazza Navona
romehabanos1.jpg

After spending a ton of cash on a decent meal (Tourist Traps were unavoidable) I smoked the Monte No.1 at the Pantheon, what an awesome experience

Smoking he Monte No.1 at the Pantheon
romehabanos2.jpg

The heat must have been getting to me becuase the next day I went to Pompei and put the PSD No.4 in a plastic bag and then in my pocket, (even though I had brought a good sized travel humidor) I never got a chance to smoke the Cigar in Pompei, but this is what it looked like at the end of the loooong day:

The next morning, I decided to smoke some of it despite the missing wrapper, hey it was expensive
romehabanos3.jpg

those are the Cigar stories for Rome, I didn't have a lot of leisure time there and the rest of the stories are not Cigar related, so, on to the next city...Amsterdam,

I passed back through England again before Amsterdam this time to gatwick airport where I picked up a three pack of Punch Petit Coronas Tubos, one Monte Petit Tubo and One Bolivar No.1 Tubo from the duty free shop,

Amsterdam, was beautiful, great weather, really advanced, like an English girl I met on a train later on in the trip said when we were discussing Amsterdam, " Those Scandinavian countries really have it down" anyway, the topic, Cigars,

I had read about the P.G.C. Hajenius shop beforehand and was really looking forward to hunting it down, it was my last day and I only hada few hours left before heading to England for the last leg of the trip, now, Amsterdam was a very advanced modern city, but the people were terrible at giving directions, very wishy washy, "go right, and then left, yaaa" so my girlfriend and I ended going in a lot of circles, but finally found it!!

Entrance to P.G.C. Hajenius
habanosamsterdam1.jpg

A peak in the front window
habanosamsterdam3.jpg

Interior P.G.C. Hajenius
habanosamsterdam2.jpg

The shop was huge and amazing, there were lots of Habanos as well as P.G.C's own brand of Dutch cigars, I picked up some cigarillo size boxes of these, their pretty good, the only thing that was a little annoying were the sales people, they would accompany you through all of the rooms and try and push different cigars, "this one is great, and this one, oh and you should try this one" they obviously make a lot of money in commisions, my sale rep ended up being really cool, she put all of the ?Habanos that I purchased into a "Dutch" cigar box and sealed the box, and then put that box into a large ziplock and sealed that ziplock as well,

she then showed me to the smoke lounge, it was cool, there was a Cigar Museum on the upper level of the smoke lounge with tons of ancient cigars and books, as well as posters, check it out:

Cigar Museum
habanosamsterdam6.jpg

Proudly displaying my purchase:
habanosamsterdam5.jpg

I apologize for the quality of the pics, the lighting was very dim, I realize that this thread is getting a lot longer thatn I thought it would so I'm going to leave out some stories and move on to the next Cigar shop,

ok, I dodn't really like London very much so there aren't any cigar stories from that city, dirty and crowded city, luckily, I had planned ahead and really wanted to see the north of England and not really knowing too much was deciding between Manchester and Liverpool and just picked Liverpool, this flight attendant on British airways had this to say to me when I told him I would be going to Liverpool during my holiday, "you telling me your going on holliday in Liverpool is like me telling you that I'm going on holiday in Detroit"

well, I'm calling bullshit, Liverpool was beuatiful, the people were the most friendly and honest than anywhere I've ever been, and I swear every one of them were hilarious with quick wits, now I see why the Beatles were the way they were,

ok, let's wrap things up, there was a little shop up off water street in Downtown, Turm

Standing out front
habanosliverpool1.jpg

With the Owner
habanosliverpool2.jpg

The owner said tha http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/ was their supplier, the Cigars were damn expensive in England, more so than anywhere else,

well, this ended up being really long, hope some of you enjoyed reading it, and I'm looking forward to going back at least to England again this summer as I just didn't have enough time on that fine Island this time around,

Great,thanks for sharing.
Looks very nice,how are the prices there?

habanosamsterdam3.jpg

Crappy Macanudo next to primo CCs?!? :D

I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit some historic locales.

Steve

Great,thanks for sharing.
Looks very nice,how are the prices there?

Thanks for the thanks everyone,

Jepe, I think the most expenisve cigar I purchased was i nAmsterdam, a Monte 2008 LE Churchill, it was 17.50 Euro, at that time the Euro was near the top of a long trend up versus the US Dollar so I paid a lot for everything, I'm sure that same cigar in England would have been over 20 Pounds but from what I understand, and it was funny this old American guy that I met in the smoke lounge said that the English speaking countries (Canada and UK) have the highest Tobacco tax and therefore the highest priced Cigars

Sounds like a fun trip. Would love to hit Europe & UK someday. Need to wait for my kids to grow up a little first.

so, I left a little detail out of the main post because it's kind of a downer and didn't really have anything to do with the trip proper,

I got caught coming back through customs with the merchandise, I would really like to know why I specifically was targeted, was it random? was it because I had traveled to Amsterdam?

well, I got a big tough female cop customs agent who literally picked through every square inch of my huge luggage, turned every piece of clothing inside out, meanwhile asking me nosey questions about my trip, I'm not gonnna lie, I was nervous because I didn't want to lose the expensive stogies,

she finally finds the travel humidor and the sealed box in the ziplock from P.G.C. Hajenius, the travel Humidor was a xikar with three layers, I had CC's on the bottom and middle layer and (I actually thought this was clever) I had all domestics on the top row, so she opens it up, looks at the Cigars on top, then pops the top layer off, I had the 3 box of Punch Petit Corona's on the second layer, she says, "are you familiar with our embargo" I say yes, she says, "Is this why you've been nervous the entire time" , I say yep, she looks at the P.G.C. Hajenius box and tries to yank it open but the seal holds tight, I say "look, they're Dutch Cigars" and she just left it at that, didn't even try to break the seal, I couldn't believe it, after turning every piece of luggage inside out,

anyway, she asks me, without looking back in the travel humidor, "How many do you have, one? so i say yeah just one, there were obviously more than that, and the real stash in the Hajenius box, and she just tells me, "It's ok if you only have a couple for personal use, BUT, I'm going to take your name down in our system" I can only imagine that I will be searched for CC's every time I come back to the States from now on, but they didn't seem to care, and they shouldn't, Tons upon Tons of Cocaine, weapons and dangerous people are smuggled into this country on a constant basis,

So it sucked getting everything searched and nervous at the prospect of getting the stogies taken, but kind of cool that nothing happened,

WOW
That is some crazy s#@$,glad everything went well after all and that you got to keep your cigar.
I wouldn't risk it the next time,I hear the fines can go to thousands of $.

The funny thing she said that if its for personal use then its OK LOL.
Its like drugs.

You can definitely count on having your luggage checked anytime you return to the USA from abroad now. Thanks for sharing your experience, even the not so good part.

Score, Just remember to arrive early from now on ;)

Glad to hear there are some reasonable customs agents out there.

You can definitely count on having your luggage checked anytime you return to the USA from abroad now. Thanks for sharing your experience, even the not so good part.

I've got to say, this has not been my experience. I have yet to be searched (well, except that time 25 years ago when my buddy and I tried crossing into the U.S. from Canada after a climbing trip. We were told we fit "the profile"). You may have fit a profile or just got unlucky. After all, I bet while they searched your luggage plenty of people were going through without a problem.

Next time bring back your smokes unbanded and they probably won't even know the difference. Also, relax it sounds like your nevous behavior tipped them off search your bags.

At least they didn't take your dignity like they did to that poor, poor James Suckling. In all seriousness, it's kind of odd she told you that one or two for personal use was ok. I guess she had bigger fish to fry or just didn't want to do any paperwork.

I recently returned from the Bahamas with Cuban cigars in my checked in baggage and carry on. Not boxes, just about 15 singles carried in travel humidors back to the U.S. No problems whatsoever.

Next time bring back your smokes unbanded and they probably won't even know the difference. Also, relax it sounds like your nevous behavior tipped them off search your bags.

I wasn't nervous until they pulled me aside and started searching the luggage,

When my work took me to Asia I always came back with CC's never got checked. That is just plain bad luck.