• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ham Radio

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
There was a good thread going on Ham Radio a few weeks ago. Let's start it again... Who's interested in getting their license? I still want to do the international cigar smokers net on the air. :) Gotta get some more cigars smokers into ham radio first!

Field day is coming up in June. If anyone is interested in learning about ham radio, this is the perfect time. Clubs all over the world participate in field day - its a 24 hour event on a weekend. One of the purposes of this event is to get people involved and educated in the hobby of ham radio. If anyone is interested in checking out this event in your area, let me know and I'll provide some info.

Rod
KE6MGB

I've always been interested, but don't have a clue on where to start with it.

Siber - you bought the General book? If you're new, you need to start with the Technician book, thats the first license. You can't get the General license until you first have the Tech license.

I'm guessing your general book is written by Gordon West, correct?

He makes good study material.

www.arrl.org is a good place to start out and learn about ham radio.

Rod, I'll have you know that I recently got back into the radio and just bought a Yaesu FT 1500M. That's in the car and I just won an auction for a Kenwood TR 751A 2 meter all mode radio the other day.

I'm converting a Radio Shack FM antenna into a beam right now and basically, I'm removing one of the driven elements and changing the spacing and element lengths. I plan to run this one for side band so I can do some DX. It will be a 5 element beam with about 9 db gain.

I have been practicing my code and I'm up to 70% on the QRZ General test questions. When I get the General, I'm buying an HF rig.

I figure I'll be on hf by the end of the summer.

I'm having a ball because I do only simplex locally with a group and my antenna is higher than all of the guys. I am putting my Ringo Ranger up in the top of a 150 foot tree soon, using Belden 9913 and then I should be able to get into Maryland and North Carolina.

If you like to talk, this is a great hobby. Also, I've learned allot about electronics, computers, etc.

I hope to be talking to you in the future Rod!!

Lee :D

Leebo8-9-8 said:
Rod, I'll have you know that I recently got back into the radio and just bought a Yaesu FT 1500M. That's in the car and I just won an auction for a Kenwood TR 751A 2 meter all mode radio the other day.

I'm converting a Radio Shack FM antenna into a beam right now and basically, I'm removing one of the driven elements and changing the spacing and element lengths. I plan to run this one for side band so I can do some DX. It will be a 5 element beam with about 9 db gain.

I have been practicing my code and I'm up to 70% on the QRZ General test questions. When I get the General, I'm buying an HF rig.

I figure I'll be on hf by the end of the summer.

I'm having a ball because I do only simplex locally with a group and my antenna is higher than all of the guys. I am putting my Ringo Ranger up in the top of a 150 foot tree soon, using Belden 9913 and then I should be able to get into Maryland and North Carolina.

If you like to talk, this is a great hobby. Also, I've learned allot about electronics, computers, etc.

I hope to be talking to you in the future Rod!!

Lee :D
??? HUH?
what did he say??
electronically challenged here!!

Looking forward to talking with you Leebo! We can hook up on 20M when you're ready... :thumbs:

:0 :p
DUDE!!!! lol in his book he says you can take both at one time. But I think you are right. Im not sure if sending an 125khz with a whip of 100000 ft. under a /slash number can be a injure a biker at 200 ft,,,,,,but I'm starting to think that they may ask something like that :0 :p

sibernation said:
:0 :p
DUDE!!!! lol in his book he says you can take both at one time. But I think you are right. Im not sure if sending an 125khz with a whip of 100000 ft. under a /slash number can be a injure a biker at 200 ft,,,,,,but I'm starting to think that they may ask something like that :0 :p
In the Coast Guard we call that PEL. Personal Exposure Limits. There is a formula for frequency, power, and distance. I have only met a couple Hams that are also technicians. Most of the time I find Hams just happy to gab on the net. But I do like getting into the techie side. I have seen a couple antenna farms that rival some millitary installations.
Emo

Just getting to it. Bought the study book from Radio Shack. Our hanggliding club is trying to get us all certified and familliar with the USHGA frequencies so we can use those repeaters when going cross country this summer.

Robb