• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hard facts on humidity

ninjasaurus

Posted this somewhere else and would like to get some feedback here too.

I keep everything at 70% RH, and in my experience, I'm happy. However, I'd be happy to change if there is evidence to do so. I recognize I've never read true evidence for 70% either, but blindly take that as the standard. I found an article that offers SOME science behind humidity:

http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-cigars/articles/long-term-aging.html

It's the best evidence I've come across regarding humidity. I have searched the forum and read on my own about what humidity is best - 62-70% seems to be the consensus. Does anyone have a good source for what the best humidity is besides, "IMO X% is the best"?

How about an intro?

(and btw this has been more than discussed here, a little search will do wonders I am sure)

Different strokes for different folks or if you're happy then that's all that matters! Live long and prosper, cello off.

ninjasaurus said:
Posted this somewhere else and would like to get some feedback here too.

I keep everything at 70% RH, and in my experience, I'm happy. However, I'd be happy to change if there is evidence to do so. I recognize I've never read true evidence for 70% either, but blindly take that as the standard. I found an article that offers SOME science behind humidity:

http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-cigars/articles/long-term-aging.html

It's the best evidence I've come across regarding humidity. I have searched the forum and read on my own about what humidity is best - 62-70% seems to be the consensus. Does anyone have a good source for what the best humidity is besides, "IMO X% is the best"?

Trust the Force!

tone-ny said:
Different strokes for different folks or if you're happy then that's all that matters! Live long and prosper, cello ON.

....fixed..... :p

I just know from good ole experience that around 65% is best for me.

Personal preference.  Cello tied in a knot to keep the moisture in.

Damn never really pondeered cello tied off! Like in all things YMMV

Back to the subject at hand, it's common knowledge that the risk of mold increases exponentially for any RH above 70%.  I run my cabinet at 65-68%, smokes are fine, no blue hairs (or is that plume...??..;-), no concerns.

BlindedByScience said:
Back to the subject at hand, it's common knowledge that the risk of mold increases exponentially for any RH above 70%.  I run my cabinet at 65-68%, smokes are fine, no blue hairs (or is that plume...??..;-), no concerns.

This won't work for Tone...  :whistling:

I've never cared for X%. I prefer Y%.

Doc

MilesMingusMonk said:

Different strokes for different folks or if you're happy then that's all that matters! Live long and prosper, cello inside out, unless going into an unfamiliar box. 
Fixed.

Fixed.

Rod said:

Different strokes for different folks or if you're happy then that's all that matters! Live long and prosper, cello inside out, unless going into an unfamiliar box then you double cello. 
Fixed.

Fixed.

Fixed.

You all are a bunch of childish, immature buttholes. Please quit derailing this thread and let's get back on track to answering the OP's question. This has never been answered before.... I'm interested in finding the answers.

:laugh: I had to scroll back up to even remember what the question was! 

oh yeah, since the OP seems like he enjoys science and facts, do your own experiment with your cigars. Duplicate another humidor at 65% and tell us what you prefer. 

jfields said:
You all are a bunch of childish, immature buttholes. Please quit derailing this thread and let's get back on track to answering the OP's question. This has never been answered before.... I'm interested in finding the answers.
Fields, Thanks for the attempt to direct back to the question. It's a valid topic that is usually discussed in terms of opinions, or I do this or that. Then someone throws out a RH chart and calls it good. The article touched on a scientific reason to store at a particular RH. I'm interested in more information along those lines.

---Lou, hello. My name is ninjasaurus (BTW, that's not my real name). I'm a Gemini. 6'1", 205lbs. I'm an avid cyclist (you know, the spandex kind). I prefer bourbon over scotch and American craft beer over European beer. Try a Schlafley A-IPA next spring; it's delicious. Also, I'm not looking for opinions on humidity, which is discussed to death EVERYWHERE. I'm looking for facts on humidity (RH) and its effects on cigars, specifically the oils as mentioned in the article. Did you read the article? (that's not a sarcastic question.) RH charts don't count either. I don't care about opinions. I already have one.
---Blinded by science, I am happy, but that doesn't mean I can't improve upon what I'm doing. I'm new to the forum, but not to cigars.
---4cblnc3po, or whatever, I do enjoy science and facts, that's why I asked the question. Doing my own experiment will not offer science and facts, just an observation. I could prefer a drier smoke, but storing it at low humidity for extended periods could ruin it as opposed to storing at 70% and dry boxing or transferring to a lower humidity humidor prior to smoking. Science would be able to tell us that. Science is awesome.