• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Harley Davidson

How about CC or NC? :laugh: Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. :whistling: Don't waste your money on a premium stick until your palate's developed ???

Brian

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yep, and there it is Brian, the irony.

Either way, you're gonna look bitchin' on a motorcycle with a leather jacket, and here's to hoping you give my wife a ride!!!! :p Good luck in your search my friend, & hurry home. I'm running out of sanity! :whistling:

My next bike! :D

RocketClass_gallery_pop_1_2008.jpg

Abuddy of mine bought a Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic last year. The Screaming Eagle in case you don't know means it comes with all the up grades you really can't add much more to it. It also comes with the 110 cubic inch motor. He rides alot has already got over 20K miles on it. He and his wife just got back from a 5,000 mile trip which took them up to the edge of Canada. He used 3 qts of oil on the trip between leaking and burning. He had already been having problems with it leaking around one of the jugs and the dealer had worked on it a few times. Anyhow when he got back he took it in and Harley Davidison put a complete new motor in it for him free of charge.

This is his second Harley and he still has his first bike also, it's a Road King. This guy is a diehard Harley guy as are most of my riding buddys. I ride a Suzuki and the are always giving me hell about not having a Harley and when am I going to get one. I am sure the next bike I buy will be a Harley but for now I am happy with my Bulavard. Funny thing is the other day I told him I thought I might just get me a Goldwing next and he told me it might be better if I was going to do alot of traveling. They are really more rider freindly and I think you get more for the buck.

If money is not a problem get a Harley but there is alot of good bikes out there cheaper. A Road King or a Ultra Classic is going to run you between 20 and 25K. The Screaming Eagle Ultra Clkassic will run you around35K if you can find one.

Brian,
I haven't riden a motorcycle in over 30 years, and then is was a Husqvarna 250 Dirt Bike. so I can;t give any personal advice.

I do work with a lot of folks who are retired from the Military, or Civil Service, and working a nice paying job with us. All have a nice amount of mad money.

A lot of the 50 to 70 year old fellas have been getting motorcycles. The biggest thing I seem to see, after the importance of safety and riding classes, is that some have changed to bigger smoother bikes, as their Kidneys and other body parts were taking a hell of a beating.

One Harley I haven't seen mentioned is the Road Glide. Unlike the other FLH's, its fairing is mounted to the frame rather than the forks. Any wind buffetting won't make the front end squirrely--as greatful1 mentioned, a lot of people don't like the Ultra Glides for that reason.

One Harley I haven't seen mentioned is the Road Glide. Unlike the other FLH's, its fairing is mounted to the frame rather than the forks. Any wind buffetting won't make the front end squirrely--as greatful1 mentioned, a lot of people don't like the Ultra Glides for that reason.

I didn't mention it because of the fixed fairing. I think that type of bike (with a fixed fairing) requires some getting used to. Or maybe I had riden non-fairings for so long that the fixed seemed odd. I did have an FXRP (P=Police) model with the fixed fairing. It was a great bike - both sport and touring - just 'different when you point the wheel one way and the head light shines another! :D

Although, that may be just what you're looking for...a sport tourer...too bad they don't make that model anymore - great cornering with some comfort and bags!!!

I don't own a HD, Probably never will now that I have been riding my Yamaha Warrior with minor mods now for 4 years. Most people confuse it with a custom. HD guys will pull up next to me and just before I get the nod or customary wave they notice the Yamaha badge and turn up there nose. It is so bizzare, I would have bought a Vrod if it was 5 grand cheaper. I'll stay away from HD.

I sat on one of these the other day and I must say it is NICE. STAR Now thats not to say that all HD rides are like that but a lot try so hard to act hard that is funny. The triumph Rocket is an amazing bike also.

What I find amusing is that no one has bothered to ask what your experience and skill level is. Do you have your endorsement? Have you ridden in the past and just haven't owned a bike in a while. All of these Harley's and others that folks have mentioned are very big, very heavy bikes. For someone without alot of experience they are hard to lift off the sidestand, let alone off the ground. And maneuvering them around a parking lot takes alot of skill or the patience to do a 30 point k-turn. Or how about making a u-turn at a stop light? These are all skills that are not easy, and made ten times more difficult on a larger bike, especially if you have a passenger on the back!

In the end it's your decision, get the bike you like, just please be careful!

It's not clear if you've done much riding in the past. If not, the MSF basic course is terrific, and, depending on the state you're in, may count as your "road test."

When I was a kid, before I got married, I rode bikes. Nothing like a touring Harley, sport bikes up to 500 cc as I recall.
That was so long ago I'm surprised I can remember :laugh:

Gary mentioned taking a course in a PM to me, which is sound advice. The course or courses will also enable me to get my bike license which sorts out
the rental side.

There is the MSF suggestion and his (limited) riding experience.

Hmmm... I stand corrected! I guess I failed and didn't notice those posts. If you're into the styling (which is very extreme thanks to Mr. Ness) I'd vote for the Victory. Otherwise consider a Goldwing. My inlaws just got a new Goldwing, and several of their friends who have purchased the Harley equivalent regret their decision and really wish they had gotten the Goldwing instead. Plus, if you're into the power, that thing is absurd with a 6 cyl. engine putting out somewhere around 130-150 hp. And the comfort factor is amazing.

Hmmm... I stand corrected! I guess I failed and didn't notice those posts. If you're into the styling (which is very extreme thanks to Mr. Ness) I'd vote for the Victory. Otherwise consider a Goldwing. My inlaws just got a new Goldwing, and several of their friends who have purchased the Harley equivalent regret their decision and really wish they had gotten the Goldwing instead. Plus, if you're into the power, that thing is absurd with a 6 cyl. engine putting out somewhere around 130-150 hp. And the comfort factor is amazing.
Comfort is prime Andy.

I have too much information right now. However, I do get it. What I've learned from opinions offered is take my time, do some courses and test several bikes. I'll know it when I ride it.

Brian

You want the "mystique" then get a Harley. You want better technology and more bang for your buck then look elsewhere. Have you considered a trike?

Have you considered a trike?

You're kidding right? :sign:

I don't know, I just feel strongly that trikes are great if you are disabled and therefore physically unable to ride a real motorcycle, otherwise trikes are bad news and the cause of way too many unskilled, dangerous people getting on "two wheels". They handle absolutely horrible. They're like trying to steer a shopping cart really. And as a result if you're ever riding with others on real bikes they screw everything up because they have to slow down and accelerate at all the wrong times for those on bikes. But, in the end if trikes are your thing and you're enjoying yourself than fine, good for you. :thumbs:

No, it was because he wants to tour and you can certainly load up more stuff on a trike. Plus you can damn near have an armchair for a seat and even tow a trailer if needed. It was just another option for touring.

Have you considered a trike?

You're kidding right? :sign:

Ray, I have never ridden a Trike but I have to agree with Andy. I just could not see myelf getting on one, just as I did not allow my friends to see me on a bicycle with training wheels when I was 3 :laugh:

Brian

I can't speak from a position of authority, since you are where I was six months ago. (Except for the harley bit of course). I'd say that when it comes to your wife, demand the same standard of yourself that you would if someone asked to have your daughter ride along. Which is to say, quite a bit.

1) To start off, you need your endorsement. Take the Basic RiderCourse even if you don't have to. It's basic slow-speed stuff, but it's a foundation for what you're going to do in the future.

2) Pick a lightweight bike to familiarize yourself with, and to take the Experienced RiderCourse on. (And also to drop - some of your candidate bikes are faired, and since you're going to drop it, you might as well not pay to repair the fairing).

3) Get a fair bit of experience riding solo before getting a heavier bike, at least 6 months.

4) Take the ERC on the heavier bike, and make sure you've ridden it for at least 6 months.

5) Then you're barely ready to take someone else's life in your hands.

When I took the BRC - only a month ago - the coaches had a private laugh about people who bought liter sport bikes or heavyweight harleys. Not that they're bad bikes, but those riders have a, let's say, diminished chance of still riding in 12 months. You're at the greatest chance of having an accident in the first six months riding any bike, and you're at the greatest chance of having an accident on a bike that exceeds your abilities, so why rush?

Hi

I have a Harley-Davidson Sportster and I bought the "smallest" one as this is my very first bike, it was the cheapest option and I wasn't sure how much I would drive. But I'm having a blast with the bike so far and I have had it for about 3 years. It is not a bike made for crusing long distances as you are pretty exposed to the wind...but it is fun riding it :)

harley_davidson_sportster_downtown_stavanger.jpg

Here's what you need Brian...

Small. Sporty. Drop top. Wind in your hair.

2007_pontiac_solstice_gxp.jpg

Pontiac Solstice

Reminds of a local sports guy here on the radio. His favorite saying;

Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Best to ya' my friend.