• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Harsh Tasting Cigars and RH

Flushnutz

I have done a some research and I know that RH and taste are very subjective, but I have been noticing that most of my cigars from my vinotemp taste very harsh and aren't really enjoyable. At first I was just thinking that it was my palate, but if I purchase a stick and smoke it right away I thoroughly enjoy it . I have 65% HF beads, but my vinotemp has always stayed right around 68-72%. I often have a hard time keeping the cigars lit and get tar build up at the end that plugs the cigar which leads me to believe the RH is too high. Is it the RH that is affecting the taste or could it be something else.

I have done a some research and I know that RH and taste are very subjective, but I have been noticing that most of my cigars from my vinotemp taste very harsh and aren't really enjoyable. At first I was just thinking that it was my palate, but if I purchase a stick and smoke it right away I thoroughly enjoy it . I have 65% HF beads, but my vinotemp has always stayed right around 68-72%. I often have a hard time keeping the cigars lit and get tar build up at the end that plugs the cigar which leads me to believe the RH is too high. Is it the RH that is affecting the taste or could it be something else.

Sounds like it might be high RH. I know 68 isnt too crazy but 72 seems a bit high. How big is the vino and how many lbs. of beads do you have? You might try getting some more in there. Remember, you can use more beads than you actually need for the volume of your humi.

ETA- More beads gives you better stability and faster recovery time after your humi is opened.

Also make sure to air out the humidor once in a while.

I usually leave mine open for a bit once or twice a week and fan air in with a magazine.

I let it drop down to around 58-59% percent before closing it back up.

Sounds like it might be high RH. I know 68 isnt too crazy but 72 seems a bit high. How big is the vino and how many lbs. of beads do you have? You might try getting some more in there. Remember, you can use more beads than you actually need for the volume of your humi.

ETA- More beads gives you better stability and faster recovery time after your humi is opened.

It is the standard 28 bottle vino that a lot of us have. I have just over 1lb of beads in there, which is more than was suggested on HF website.

Also make sure to air out the humidor once in a while.

I usually leave mine open for a bit once or twice a week and fan air in with a magazine.

I let it drop down to around 58-59% percent before closing it back up.

I do not really ever air it out. Why is this necessary? Maybe that is my problem.

You could try and dry box a few smokes. Then you can go head to head to see if humidity is really the cause of the harshness.

Ya I am not sure of the whole airing out thing either, been smoking for 14 years and have never heard of it...

To get fresh air into the humidor... to purge the stale smell and reduce the chances of mold.

And lets not compare length of time smoking cigars OK gentlemen. My 25+ years is still young compared to many here on the boards.

Let me just state, I've never had a sour tasting cigar (that wasn't a rocket to begin with) or mold once in that entire time and leave it at that.

And to clarify, its only a few mins once or twice a week.

I keep my humi at about 60% humidity. I find the cigars taste and smoke better than they do at higher humidity levels. I found a lot of cigars have tight draws (at least to me) at 70% but improve considerably after dryboxing for a few days.

I keep mine around 62 to 64%. I don't like the taste of most cigars at 68% or above

I keep mine right around 68 RH, but one of the best sticks I ever smoked was a Vegas Robaina that was probably about 60%. Amazing good.

I keep mine around 62 to 64%. I don't like the taste of most cigars at 68% or above

Same here! 62-65% for me. I also seem to have way less burn and draw issues at that percentage as well.

Good reads..........Personal for me, anything at 70% and above is to high. 63%-66% are acceptable
targets. Two half pounds beads should do it. How old is the Vinotemp? Was it new with the new car smell (plastic) ?
Any cedar shelving?

As long as we are sharing personal RH ranges I keep mine in the 65-68 range, much over that and I get draw/re-light problems.

Thanks for all the input. I think my RH is likely too high. I will try and lower it and see if that helps. Dry boxing is a good idea for comparison sake, but won't work for long a term solution as I rarely know when I will have the chance to smoke.

Thanks

Dennis

Why? Is that a MD thing?

I've got 65% beads. The top of the vino is 64, bottom is 66-67. All lanceros go up top, along with whatever singles I think are overfilled (or chance of being plugged). Generally try to keep larger RG, Fuentes, and Illusione at the bottom.

Still, every cigar is different. <-- (what makes this hobby-otherwise it would be boring).

I'm almost halfway through a box of Boli PCs where every other cigar is really tight. So I just smoke the good ones and eventually move all the pluggers to a drybox-idor.