• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Harviestoun Ola Dubh Special 16 Reserve

Aventinus

Sorry no pictures. Here's the hype from the brewery:

"Ola Dubh (or ‘Black Oil’) is a collaboration between Harviestoun Brewery and Highland Park, Distiller of the Year*. It is based on Harviestoun’s award-winning Old Engine Oil. With more than a stylistic nod to the classic Imperial Porters (and Stouts) of the nineteenth century, this deliciously rich, dark, 8% a.b.v. beer is the first ale to be aged in malt whisky casks from a named distillery and, with traceable casks and numbered bottles, the first with genuine provenance."

11.2 oz. bottle served in a brandy snifter.

Appearance: Poured a deep brown/black with a finger of tan head.

Aroma: There was a lot going on in the aroma. Chocolate, vanilla, some fruit, also a hint of peaty smoke.

Flavor: The whiskey was more in the beginning, but not very strong. Plenty of chocolate and roasted malt. There was some sweetness, but the finish was very dry with cocoa flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, very smooth. I felt it was a bit thin for me.

I was a little disappointed with this. There wasn't as much Scotch character as I would have liked, and it seemed a little thin. I guess I've been spoiled by all the great American Bourbon barrel brews! For $7 a bottle, I expect a little more. I seem to remember the Special Reserve version having more whiskey flavor. I'm going to pick up a bottle the next time I see it.

With more than a stylistic nod to the classic Imperial Porters (and Stouts) of the nineteenth century, this deliciously rich, dark, 8% a.b.v. beer is the first ale to be aged in malt whisky casks from a named distillery and, with traceable casks and numbered bottles, the first with genuine provenance."

Nice review Pete. I got a couple bottles of each version of this when they first were released, but haven't had one yet. I like the original Old Engine Oil and cask aged beers a lot, so I was expecting big things out of this. Maybe I'll have to crack a bottle and see for myself.

I remember reading about it being the first ale to be aged froma named distillery, but I don't think that's acurate. JW Lees has a version of their barleywine that is aged in Lagavulin casks?