• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has anyone shipped a piece of furniture across the country?

mu mike

It's not a lie if you believe it.
I want to ship a chair from Connecticut to Missouri and have gotten some crazy expensive quotes (highest was $560, lowest was $275). There's gotta be a cheaper way to do this.

Anyone have any experience doing this and if so, who shipped it for you?

Have you checked into one of those postal stores that will wrap and sent it via UPS?

Road trip? You drive and provide the cigars and I'm in.

Have you checked into one of those postal stores that will wrap and sent it via UPS?

Will UPS ship it though? I thought they had a size limit. I guess I'll call UPS tomorrow and see if they're able to ship a wingback chair.

Road trip? You drive and provide the cigars and I'm in.

I considered it, but I'm not man enough to make that trip. Any trip over 3 hours and I turn into a whiny bitch. I wonder if I can bribe someone to do it for me. :whistling:

I had my humidor shipped from Florida to Missouri. I think it was around $250 range but that was when diesel was cheaper than it is now. I can't even remember who the carrier was. And if I lived in Missouri, I'd offer to drive out there if it would fit in the car. All you would have done was pay for the gas since it probably be cheaper. I've been wanting to see the East Coast. Oh well...I'm down in HELL!!! :laugh:

It's a 2,600-ish mile round trip from Springfield. With the time it'd take and the cost of fuel, $275 for shipping seems like a better deal.

That said, I like road trips and am easily bribed. Brent can ride shotgun.

I dont think the lower figure is that far out of line. We've had several items damaged by the shipper so I'd recommend you pack it well if you decide to go that route.

It's a 2,600-ish mile round trip from Springfield. With the time it'd take and the cost of fuel, $275 for shipping seems like a better deal.

I think you're probably right the more I think of it.

I think you're probably right the more I think of it.

Just did a quick search...thry these guys. Or they may have a recommendation.

http://www.cratersan...cticut.com/home

(I spoke to Greg at the place above...he's emailing me a quote.)

There area a couple more that could be contacted as well.

I know when I looked into shipping a bike across country a lot of freight carriers would do it.
My buddy just had a bike shipped from FL for around $500-600. So, a chair at 1/2 that is about right.

I sent a re-cained chair to my aunt (PA to CA) for about 75 bucks through UPS the other year. There are size restrictions, but I want to say the box was about 4' tall, and 2.5' square. I double boxed it, and it was basically a custom cardboard job with a lot of foam around the contact corners and packing tape. Made it there no problem.

Will

I just realized what chair this must be.

Those prices aren't bad. Another option would be to find a friend/cohort/Gary to ship it out of a location that has an account and discount with a shipper. Weight isn't the issue most likely; volume is. Lots of empty space in a chair box.

Another option would be to find a friend/cohort/Gary to ship it out of a location that has an account and discount with a shipper.

How much booze/blow/bimbos is it going to take to bribe Gary into helping? :D

You definitely want to use an over the road trucker and not UPS. UPS is fine for smaller packages and whatnot but they are typically ill equipped to handle "freight". It would go through their hubs where it will be placed on a conveyor and most likely damaged. An over the road trucker will handle it with much more care and will likely be quicker. Just make sure the shipper protects it well and puts this side up arrows on the packaging as well as top freight only stickers. You don't want them placing an 1,000 pound piece of freight on top of it because it logistically fit.

The linky place that I posted ran around $630 shipped.

I'm in contact with another for a quote.

Both places are for pick-up/crate pack/ shipping.

Sell the chair where your at and buy a new chair at the destination.

Doc.

Gary road trip you drive to me and we put the chair in my truck. Then we drive and golf along the way. $1,500 plus cigars should cover this :thumbs:

Gary road trip you drive to me and we put the chair in my truck. Then we drive and golf along the way. $1,500 plus cigars should cover this :thumbs:

first_shot_beverly_hillbillies.jpg

Hi Josh!