• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Have bee offered Cohiba Robustos - are they fake?

rflook

Hi there,

Im hoping someone can help me with this. I have been offered some Cohiba Robustos by a friend of a friend (i know that sounds dodgy but it truly is a friend of a friend). Its a box of 25 and was bought in cuba and I am being offered them for £160 which is a good bargain. Obviously i am worried about them being fake so have done a little bit of research into how to tell. However the one thing i cant find out is if each cigar should individually have a plastic transparent wrapper or not. I have look for images online and cant find any pics where there is a wrapper around the cigars. My friend says the cigars are sealed but as i havent seen the box yet im not sure if she is talking about the box or cigars, she says she thinks the cigars are individually sealed but she isnt sure.

Either way im seeing the box in a few days and so would be very grateful if anyone can tell me if the cigars are supposed to be individually wrapped.

Many thanks

Rob

First off, please go post an introduction so we can get to know you.

Secondly, we need pictures! Pictures of the box, the label (with black light if you have one), and the cigars.

EDIT (just reread the post): The cellophane isn't a great indicator if it is a true ISOM. You really need to look at the box.

Rob,

That's a big negative on the cello. See if you can get a good digital photo of the bottom of the box (box code and stamp)and the open box showing bands with some good detail and I am sure some of the good BOTLs here will let you know.

but here are a few good places to look for info.

Cuban cigar primer

Visit My Website

More fake info

As a rule of thumb, if they are cheap, they are fake.

Even in Cuba

Cohiba and bargain are two words that should never be used in the same sentance. It's obvious from your post that you are not very seasoned in Cuban cigars and what to look for authenticity wise. This website is a great place to get to know some guys that ARE seasoned. I suggest stick around a bit and read through some of the old threads on authenticating Cuban cigars. From my experience, it seems the "friend of a friend", "bought in Cuba", "bargain" Cohibas are 99.99999999% fakes. Just some food for thought....

mac

Cohiba and bargain are two words that should never be used in the same sentance. It's obvious from your post that you are not very seasoned in Cuban cigars and what to look for authenticity wise. This website is a great place to get to know some guys that ARE seasoned. I suggest stick around a bit and read through some of the old threads on authenticating Cuban cigars. From my experience, it seems the "friend of a friend", "bought in Cuba", "bargain" Cohibas are 99.99999999% fakes. Just some food for thought....

mac
True on all accounts ... well said mac. I would add that if you have to question your purchase, don't buy.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback (Cooke - will post an intro to myself asap). I will post pics as soon as i have the box in my hands - hopefully it should be with me by the end of the day for me inspect. With regards to the price - while £160 is a bargain i think it isnt overly cheap, they cost about 355 euros.

Which equates to about £260, as they guy selling them doesnt want them anymore i think £160 is a good price. Anyway i will hopefully know more when i have the box and ill pop some images online for you kind people to assess.

Rob

Wyatt - My girlfriend's were very expensive and they were fake.

OH... you were taliking about cigars. :sign: Yeah then that is almost ALWAYS true!

Hmmm, that's the exception to the rule I guess, rofl. Maybe, if they look TOO perfect, they're also fake :laugh:

rflook,

you may want to edit your post to remove the link and also read the sticky at the top of the cuban forum in regards to the posting of sources, discussion of sources, and linking to sources of cuban cigars.

rflook,

you may want to edit your post to remove the link and also read the sticky at the top of the cuban forum in regards to the posting of sources, discussion of sources, and linking to sources of cuban cigars.

Whoops, thanks for that. Editted as requested

There are a very large number of fake Cuban cigars in Cuba, sold to travelers, and they go for $20 or 30 per box versus $300 or so for CoRo. (Cohiba is the #1 counterfeited brand). If he bought them at the LCDH, (a legit source), then he will have a receipt, cuz you need to show your passport (if paying by plastic). They always issue you a receipt with your cigars at legit sources.... Ask for proof, and always know your source.