• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Have you ever balked at a B&M's price and they work with you?

emoshun

SoCal Herfin'
I love going into B&M's to ogle and pick up a few sticks I know I'll enjoy later. I am often hesitant to buy some sticks I'd really want as I can't believe what they're asking for them.

Yesterday I was in a hole in the wall cigar shop in the heart of Hollywood, and spotted a couple T52 Toro's I wanted but at $29.99 + tax a piece there was no way it was happening. I was feeling like pushing to see if I could get the price down and thought it was a great place to do it. (I most likely won't ever be coming back)

The manager walked over and we started talking, what do you smoke, how do you like them, try this blend it's good, yadda yadda yadda.

I mentioned I was thinking of picking up a T52 or two and asked if the price was correct at $29.99, he said yes.

Bantered back and forth for about 2 minutes and told him there's no way you're selling this stick at more than a 200% markup, at least not to me.

Before I could turn and leave he said "Make me an offer" (cash of course) and so I turned back and quickly said $25 for 2.

He looked at me, his collection, and said sure as he snatched the cash right out of my hands.

I said thank you and he said come back anytime as if he enjoyed the Egyptian bazaar type haggling of posted prices.

This is the first I've ever tried this, who else has had similar experiences? (good/bad)

Dickering as we call it in the Kingdom is a lost art. Most folks get offended nowadays. I grew up around hagglers. My father was a picker before it became popular on TV. It was expected, but not so much anymore.

From a retailers stand point, I usually have no problem working on price with customers that walk. The only time it is difficult is when they come in asking to match an online discounter that has something either below wholesale or right at it. $29.99 for a T52 is nuts, but then again I know they are hard to find right now and taxes in each state are different. Its crazy when I see prices like that, luckily for us in FL we don't have much of a tax at all. Drew Estate also announced another price increase on the Liga line so don't be surprised if you see them go up from there.

Wow man, two for the price of one. Congrats on that deal.

Hey you know it never hurts to ask.

Example: I was at a hobby shop a couple years ago, and was looking at a remote control helicopter (I was 24) 26 now. Anyway.
I asked the guy how much, and I think he said it was $150. I said "oh ok, I think I'm gonna pass, I didn't wanna spend that much"
I turned to leave and be said, "I'll give it to you for $120".

I actually didnt buy it.... Wish I would have but I'm cheap.

Anyway, never hurts to discuss about compromising on the price.

Congrats on the purchase, hope you enjoy.

Ol' Times Cigars said:
From a retailers stand point, I usually have no problem working on price with customers that walk. The only time it is difficult is when they come in asking to match an online discounter that has something either below wholesale or right at it. $29.99 for a T52 is nuts, but then again I know they are hard to find right now and taxes in each state are different. Its crazy when I see prices like that, luckily for us in FL we don't have much of a tax at all. Drew Estate also announced another price increase on the Liga line so don't be surprised if you see them go up from there.
Sorry for asking, but do you own a cigar shop?

Nah, he sells parts for '53 Chevy pick ups. Fuggin' noobs.

Doc

I would guess that most of the cause for that is the fact it's in a tourist type area. The B&M I used to deal with primarily is also in a tourist type area and they are high on most of their inventory, although they do have decent prices on some of it. Not really outrageous like what you describe. For example they were selling LFD Ligero L400s for $9.75, VSG Spellbounds for $17.50, in general probably MSRP +15-20% on a lot of their inventory. If you bought more than 5 sticks they would then knock the 15% off, so you pay MSRP or maybe a little higher and they try to make you feel like you have gotten a deal. In defense of that shop, it's pretty small and definitely in a tourist type area. The other shop I've started going to primarily although it is about 15 minutes farther away has a much better selection and their pricing is spot on or below MSRP (Illusione MJ12 Maduro for $9.75... same price as LFD Ligero L400 in the other shop?). I have to say I feel a great deal more respect for the owner of that shop as a true BOTL, and it makes me want to support him.

Turbolag said:
Sorry for asking, but do you own a cigar shop?

I am with Ol' Times Cigars, we are a B&M with a website in Central FL. I am not the owner, but it is owned by my family. Hoping to eventually be the owner down the road.

Devil Doc said:
Nah, he sells parts for '53 Chevy pick ups. Fuggin' noobs.

Doc
Correction I sell '54 Chevy pick up parts ;)

It never hurts to ask about pricing worse they can say is no. Although some people can be a little too proud sometimes.

I always try to work with my customers that come into the shop or online.  But....I do get a little offended when the first thing they say is...Your prices are to high, and I get my cigars off the internet, they are waaaay cheaper.  What can you do for me. Nine times out of ten, I have never seen this person before and they are only filling a gap due to the fact their order hasn't come in.  I feel we have some of the best prices for a B&M in a high taxed state.

Yes you do Mark, and I everyone here knows that!

My point in questioning price was that it was grossly inflated, obscenely so.

To that effect, if the occasional smoker came in looking for a great cigar I wouldn't want him to think he has to pay $30+ to get one.

When I see Padrón FR45's listing at $45, I just shake my head and chalk it up to greed on their behalf.

emoshun said:
Yes you do Mark, and I everyone here knows that!

My point in questioning price was that it was grossly inflated, obscenely so.

To that effect, if the occasional smoker came in looking for a great cigar I wouldn't want him to think he has to pay $30+ to get one.

When I see Padrón FR45's listing at $45, I just shake my head and chalk it up to greed on their behalf.

Some B&M's have ZERO regard for the way they price things. Even I get offended at some of the things I see.  It's pure greed and total gouging. It's down right robbery!

One of the b&m local has Padron Annis stashed behind their counter and priced 200% msrp. Some 26 and 64s, it's ridiculous.

Get back in the car, drive to the much larger, more comfortable and reputable b&m and choose from every Padron line sans millennium for msrp. And get discounts of 10% for 5 or 15% for a box.

NorcalMark said:
I always try to work with my customers that come into the shop or online.  But....I do get a little offended when the first thing they say is...Your prices are to high, and I get my cigars off the internet, they are waaaay cheaper.  What can you do for me. Nine times out of ten, I have never seen this person before and they are only filling a gap due to the fact their order hasn't come in.  I feel we have some of the best prices for a B&M in a high taxed state.
Good point. I have had people in the shop I have never seen before ask if there is a quantity discount. He wanted two baccarats and with a "multiple stick discount. They were under $4 at the time. Cases like that are a different story. I told him that I was sorry but that was the best I could do. He wasnt very happy and told me he would just go to ABC. So her drove 10 miles away to save something like 50¢. I guess you can't please them all.

I understand some retailers have much higher overhead but a mark up like that on Padron is crazy. Makes me wonder if they are an authorized Padron retailer or if they are getting them through someone else. We have a few shops around us that mark their stuff way up. One of the very large stores has crazy overhead so it is understandable to a point but something's are double what we charge which is a bit high even for hard to find sticks.