• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hawaii in March

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
Going to be in Hawaii, Honolulu area for a family wedding around March 17th. I’m looking for cigar shops and store or Hawaii exclusives. Also any points of interest that I need to visit.
Thanks in advance.
Jon

I only know of a few places in town, but one has a lounge. I'd love to get together with you and William while you are here!

Hawaii has a 50% tobacco tax (correct me if I'm wrong there), so definitely bring a stash of your own with you. I'm sure O'Tool's will be having a cigar and whiskey night sometime during the month of March, and you'll be here on the right day to hit up the Irish places (which at least one of which you can enjoy a cigar in).

Also, if you like airplanes/WWII aviation, I may know of a museum worth hitting up... ;)

That sounds good. I’m not sure what my free time looks like though I’m guessing I won’t have much but you never know. I think I know of the ww2 bar you’re talking about and it’s on my list to visit. I love ww2 history. Also any good Irish bar on St Paddies day works for this Irish man. (Thanks grandpa for the duel citizenship!)

Hawaii is one of my favorite destinations. For several years I had the good fortune of traveling there for several times a year.

The Arizona Memorial is definitely worth the trip. Currently, they aren't letting people visit the memorial over the ship, but they expect it to be open again in March. The displays at the visitor's center are great, and you can easily spend a couple of hours looking at everything (normally, while you're waiting for your turn to go to the ship). Including a visit to the memorial, I'd budget 3-4 hrs.

The USS Missouri is anchored at Ford Island and you can tour it for a fee. I haven't been through that particular ship but I've toured the USS Alabama, which was the next class of ship. If you've never been on a capital ship it's worth seeing. It probably takes an hour or two to get though it, but I'm guessing.

There's also the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island. It has a nice collection of airplanes and artifacts about Pearl Harbor, and it's in one of the old 1941 hangars next to the old control tower, and being on Ford Island is part of the museum experience. You can probably get through that museum in an hour.

If you want to try authentic Hawaiian food, visit the Side Street Inn in Honolulu. Bring cash, and be prepared to wait for a table, but it's the best local food in town. Anthony Bourdain visited it during the Hawaii episode of No Reservations.

I always find time to do some glider flying at Dillingham Airport on the North Shore, but it's about an hour from Waikiki. There's a couple of operators there where you can book a sailplane ride. Here's the one I used to fly with: https://www.honolulusoaring.com/ The views there are spectacular! (This site is for pilots, but you can see some photos of the flights here: http://higlideracademy.com/photos/ )

There's a couple local CP guys, so they might have better ideas, but this is my short list.

You need to clear at least one afternoon and I'll take you up to my buddy's house on the North Shore in Waialua where we can smoke a cigar on the beach and speak about anything but work. It doesn't hold a candle to William's fam's place on the other side of the NS, but I love going up there once a month or so and forgetting about life for a few hours with Gabe (who is also a pretty good budding bladesmith).

You need to clear at least one afternoon and I'll take you up to my buddy's house on the North Shore in Waialua where we can smoke a cigar on the beach and speak about anything but work. It doesn't hold a candle to William's fam's place on the other side of the NS, but I love going up there once a month or so and forgetting about life for a few hours with Gabe (who is also a pretty good budding bladesmith).
I like the sound of that. Once I get a chance to look at the schedule of this wedding I’ll let you know when I think I may be free.
Jin