• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heartfelt bead question

thatsonofa

I have 70% beads in my humi. My humi is kept in a cool dry place and maintains an inside temp of 70 degrees. I also have a digital hydrometer which i calibrated twice, but the hydrometer is reading 72%. Is that extra 2% going to make a difference? Should I try 65% beads and see if it goes to 67%?

It really just depends on what you like. If they are smoking well for you then 72 isn't going to hurt them. If they feel a little too wet as you smoke them, get some 65% and use them, or use both and the RH will settle somewhere between the two.

some would suggest that, that is fine and then you can just dry box them b4 you plan to smoke it. at least that was something i read on here

So far they seem to be smoking fine. I wasnt sure if it could/would cause any issues long-term. I just wanted to make sure.

For me 72% would be too high. Not that the cigars would be damaged or anythign, I just don't feel the cigars burn or draw well at that RH. I agree dry boxing would help, but I do not know a few days in advance what I may or may not want to smoke, so I want to be able to grab what I want when I want.

Dave

Assuming the outside RH is lower than the RH you want to maintain in your humi, try leaving it open for an hour a day until the RH is where you want it.

B.B.S.

Sounds to me like your beads are just a bit oversaturated. Just leave the humi open for a bit.

72% would be too high for me though, I find that the majority of my sticks smoke best at around 65%. As it gets above that I tend to have some burn issues.

I have 65% beads in my cooler and sometimes right after I mist them the hygro reads 67-68. After a day or two every thing is back to normal. Like others have said I sometimes leave the lid cracked a bit. When you calibrated the hygro how many points off was it? Are you leaving some of the beads white so they can absorb excess moisture?

I may soaked the beads too much. I didnt have a spray bottle so I had to pour the distilled water out of the jug onto the tube.

I'm also going to try some 65% beads instead of the 70%. It does seem like my sticks burn too slow, but they always burn even.

Update:

I rearranged my humi so that the digital would have more breathing room and now it is reading 69%. I'm thinking that before it wasn't getting enough airflow???

I may soaked the beads too much. I didnt have a spray bottle so I had to pour the distilled water out of the jug onto the tube.
I used to do this and the beads eventually turned black with mold. Throw caution to the wind, next time you're at your local grocery emporium, and buy a little spray bottle for $0.99 or so just for this job..... :cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.

Back