• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heartfelt beads

NiteSeer

After reading the forums and giving it some thought, I purchased a large 70% rh Heartfelt Aluminum humidifier from Heartfelt industries, but I need some clarification: I read that when one fills this particular humidifier ,with distilled water, you only saturate 75 % of the beads. Is that correct? I have also read that it is a good idea to add some Alcohol. Is that correct? If so, how much does one add and what kind of alcohol are we talking about?l I have 70% alcohol(rubbing alcohol) in my medicine cabinet. Thanks for your help!

You're making this way harder than it needs to be.

First off, use only distilled water on the beads. Nothing else. Period. Get DISTILLED water, not "filtered" or "drinking" water. Any grocery store, for about a buck a gallon.

While your at the local grocery emporium, pick up a small spray bottle. Use it to "mist" the beads until most of them are clear. You can do this right though the tube or sock containing the beads, as the case may be.

.....done.

It really is just that simple...... :cool:

No worries - B.B.S.

B.B.S. gave you good advice. Let me stress the point, don't put anything in or on the beads other than distilled water.

If you get a spray bottle as he suggested you can spray the distilled water directly on the mesh on the front of the aluminum unit. JUst spray until most of the beads are clear with a few still white or opaque.

After reading the forums and giving it some thought, I purchased a large 70% rh Heartfelt Aluminum humidifier from Heartfelt industries, but I need some clarification: I read that when one fills this particular humidifier ,with distilled water, you only saturate 75 % of the beads. Is that correct? I have also read that it is a good idea to add some Alcohol. Is that correct? If so, how much does one add and what kind of alcohol are we talking about?l I have 70% alcohol(rubbing alcohol) in my medicine cabinet. Thanks for your help!

I have read people using alcohol but not with beads. I believe the Jack Straw uses alcohol in his Avallo Accumonitor cannisters to prevent mold but that was a minute amount and had nothing to do with beads. Good Luck!

Yeah, I got some 65% beads from Heartfelt recently, and I was kind of nervous about how to fill them up, too, because I didn't want to mess "something" up.

I don't actually use a spray bottle, though. I just kind of slowly drip the distilled water from the gallon jug onto the beads while I rotate the tube (I've got the tube version). Then I wipe off the excess after I let the beads and water sit for a minute.

My advice is that whichever way you go, just be careful not to overfill your beads because that can cause over-humidification. The beads apparently absorb humidity along with exuding humidity, so if you fill all of the beads up, then your unit won't be able to absorb humidity if your container becomes too humid. If you don't fill up your beads enough the first time, though, you can always put a bit more distilled water into the beads whereas it's harder to dry out your beads.

Hope that helps! Don't be too nervous. They're just beads. ;)

Anyone else having trouble telling how much water is enough water when spraying down the tubes?

I bought a 2oz tube from heartfelt & sprayed it with distilled water, i'm having a hard time seeing the ratio of clear beads to white beads....i'm hoping its 70%clear but i'm having trouble telling.

Anyone else having trouble telling how much water is enough water when spraying down the tubes?

I bought a 2oz tube from heartfelt & sprayed it with distilled water, i'm having a hard time seeing the ratio of clear beads to white beads....i'm hoping its 70%clear but i'm having trouble telling.
- Dump the beads into a cookie sheet.
- Count them
- Multiply the number of beads by 0.70
- Separate that many from the rest
- Soak the seperated beads with distilled water
- Replace them in the tube at the ratio of three soaked beds to one un-soaked bead, to ensure uniform mixing of the hydrated beads to the un-hydrated beads.

...or, just mist them in the tube until "most" of them are hydrated. Honestly, the beauty of beads is that careful measuring, hydrating, etc. just isn't needed.

Your choice - :cool: - B.B.S.

- Count them
- Replace them in the tube at the ratio of three soaked beds to one un-soaked bead, to ensure uniform mixing of the hydrated beads to the un-hydrated beads.

...or, just mist them in the tube until "most" of them are hydrated. Honestly, the beauty of beads is that careful measuring, hydrating, etc. just isn't needed.

Exactly. Appreciate the beads as an easy way to keep humidity in check and spend the rest of your time pondering about your next purchase. Make sure your hygro is calibrated first.

- Count them

You are a sick man! :laugh:

Again Guys, thanks for your participation. Thats what this hobby is all about. I got my heartfelt beads yesterday and I am ready to put them to work.

...and don't sweat the details. The good natured ribbing I dished out what to point out to you that the beauty of the beads is the lack of "fiddling" that's required with them. Get a spray bottle, hose 'em down with some distilled water, and don't worry. You'll see..... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

On a slightly different subject, where did you buy the beads from? Find a good price somewhere?

(If there is an obvious/well-known answer, please excuse my noobishness :))

Get them from Viper139 at Heartfelt Industries thats where i got mine

Get them from Viper139 at Heartfelt Industries thats where i got mine

That's where I got mine, too. Prices are good and the customer service is even better.

Also, I wanted to say that in addition to the spraying technique, I've had a lot of success with placing a very small container of distilled water next to the tubes in both my humidors. Everything stays right at 65% and I don't have refill very often. I find this easier for me. I guess I'm just lazy. :laugh:

"On a slightly different subject, where did you buy the beads from? Find a good price somewhere?"

the best price for beads is at PetsMart.

8lbs of ExquisiCat Pearl Fresh for < $15.

Link