• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help, Mold!

EricNord said:

I plugged the drain hole per the guidance on puff.com since the drain hole allows outside air to come in. You are saying that water comes down from the fan?

I'm pretty sure it does. I ran into a problem where I had a plastic bag full of smokes pushed back up against the back wall, underneath the fan. My humidity readings were unusually high, so I pulled everything to see what was going on. The bag was wet, and the cardboard dress box the bag was on top of was soaked.

To me, it looked like water drips down from the fan area along the back wall to the drain plug. That water was instead hitting the bag and running down the bag to the box, and pooling there.

Luckily for me I didn't have any mold problems, and the box was mostly empty, so there was no cigar loss. HEre's the thread I started about it: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/72267-psa-to-anyone-with-a-vinotemp-type-humidor/

BlindedByScience said:
The 'trumpet' shaped foot usually implies that the sticks have been horribly over humidified.  Blue hair is another sign that things are too wet..... 
So, that's what's going on with the seniors in Florida?

I've had the same problem and wiped off the mold and tried to smoke them all soon, but still kept them isolated in a plastic bag.

For those that suggest wiping off the mold, do you store these cigars for long term storage or do you just smoke them ASAP?  Because in my mind, if you're wiping off the excess, you're also smearing a lot of mold all over the cigar.  which makes it a contamination source for everything it touches.

broblues said:

The 'trumpet' shaped foot usually implies that the sticks have been horribly over humidified.  Blue hair is another sign that things are too wet..... 
So, that's what's going on with the seniors in Florida?

...dry 'em out..!!  It'll do wonders....though, they likely can't be saved.... :p

I learn something everyday here! CP=incredible depth of knowledge.