• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HELP! Obvious newbie question?

twizz

IITYWYBMAB
So I finally dived into the 'proper' order of CCs, and made the mistake of ordering two different types of very (visually) similar cigars, with bands not included (yet...). I got a 10 stick sampler (2 each), including Monte Sublimes, Upmann 2s, and San Cristobal Oficios. The other four were two each of Romeo Short Churchhills, and Juan Lopez Selección No. 2s. They are the same length and ring, and have a very similar visual appearance. One is very so slightly darker than the other. Like one is a 7 and one is a 7.15, and calling the Sublimes an 8 as a point of reference. Any ideas FOGs?...I mean WOGs ;D

You're hosed :)

Both are 50 gauge and 4.8 inches. Minor variations in size and gauge are common and there can be more than slight variation in wrapper shade even in the same box. Smoke 'em both and give us detailed reviews and we'll see if we can figure out which was which from your tasting notes.

- Tim

So I finally dived into the 'proper' order of CCs, and made the mistake of ordering two different types of very (visually) similar cigars, with bands not included (yet...). I got a 10 stick sampler (2 each), including Monte Sublimes, Upmann 2s, and San Cristobal Oficios. The other four were two each of Romeo Short Churchhills, and Juan Lopez Selección No. 2s. They are the same length and ring, and have a very similar visual appearance. One is very so slightly darker than the other. Like one is a 7 and one is a 7.15, and calling the Sublimes an 8 as a point of reference. Any ideas FOGs?...I mean WOGs ;D

It should be very easy; the RyJs will be box pressed and the JLs won't be. The JL #2 does not come in a dress box, only 50 and 25 count cabs.

Welcome to CP. Maybe head over to the intro forum, tell us a little about yourself. And don't forget to read the newbie guides that Rod has set up.

It should be very easy; the RyJs will be box pressed and the JLs won't be. The JL #2 does not come in a dress box, only 50 and 25 count cabs.

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner.

The Juan Lopez also seem to have a more 'delicate' and sometimes lite wrapper....in my limited experience with that brand.

Thank you all for the help. If I had paid more attention, I would have noticed that my order confirmation email specifically stated they were in a particular order, but I had to go and f* it up. I can't recall if one appeared box pressed or not, but the 'lighter, more delicate wrapper' should do it for me. Thanks again, and I have certainly learned another lesson. They just keep on coming this week!!!

Figured it out...

Somehow, the bands for aforementioned sticks made their way to me, and it just so happened that one RyJ and one Juan Lopez were still intact. I did a test fit, thinking that both cigars are the same size, so it wouldn't help, but behold, 'tis not the case. The JL band on one cigar was probably 32nd of an inch too big, and loosely flopped around. On the other cigar, it fit snugly like it was made for it. BINGO!!!!

I hadn't smoked the Short Churchill yet, only one of the JLs. I lit up the Churchie and smoked half of it this morning, and it is absolutely everything it is cracked up to be. Looking forward to finishing it at lunch!!

FWIW, both are said to be a 50, its more like 49 for the Ryj, and 51 for the JL.

Figured it out...

Somehow, the bands for aforementioned sticks made their way to me, and it just so happened that one RyJ and one Juan Lopez were still intact. I did a test fit, thinking that both cigars are the same size, so it wouldn't help, but behold, 'tis not the case. The JL band on one cigar was probably 32nd of an inch too big, and loosely flopped around. On the other cigar, it fit snugly like it was made for it. BINGO!!!!

I hadn't smoked the Short Churchill yet, only one of the JLs. I lit up the Churchie and smoked half of it this morning, and it is absolutely everything it is cracked up to be. Looking forward to finishing it at lunch!!

FWIW, both are said to be a 50, its more like 49 for the Ryj, and 51 for the JL.

Yuck, good luck with the smell and taste of that baby. After a few hours, not even a sufficient purge will bring the original flavors back around.

Figured it out...

Yuck, good luck with the smell and taste of that baby. After a few hours, not even a sufficient purge will bring the original flavors back around.

I understand its not the ideal way to smoke, and some cigars handle it better than others, but there was no other option....well, not lighting it ::MAY:: have been an option, but not for me.

Figured it out...

I'm glad you figured it out. Of course, if you would have looked at my post above, it probably would have given you the answer sooner. Not to mention the reason why one band was loose and the other fit snug ;)

Figured it out...

I'm glad you figured it out. Of course, if you would have looked at my post above, it probably would have given you the answer sooner. Not to mention the reason why one band was loose and the other fit snug ;)

Mike that would be too simple, why miss the opportunity to make multiple posts. :whistling:

Truthfully, I had them side by side, and BOTH were slightly squared off. If I ever remember to bring my camera home from work, I'll take some closeups. Both were slightly squared off.

And yea, why not post-pad...lol

Back