• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help, Please: I Keep Ruining Cigars

It seems like the humidity is improving. I now have it reading 70%, though I do have to calibrate it to make sure that is accurate. The temperature is reading 75+ though and that is not cool. I may need a new Credo humidifier, too. It seems like the box itself is quality, but I need to work on some of the other stuff.

emo, give us your tip on the way to tighten up the seal anyhow , ya sparked my interest. ;) ;)

mc, I just started a discussion on temp control, got some good advice mayve you could use it. also do you use a digital temp/humi gauge? ya cant beat em :p

I started a coolerdor today.  I presently have a 50/50 mix in oasis medium, but will go to VERN beads next paycheck.  IT is presently reading around 64, but no stabilization yet.  I hope to get it stabilized so I can take my humi in to the local tobi shop to have it professionally " set up"  ( they do this as a courtesy).  Heh that way I can transfer my stash to the coolerdor while my humi gets fixed!  ( it does not leak but wont seem to stabilize at 68=70!)

Coolers stabilize fast depending on the size, because coolers do not have cedar that helps regulate RH by absorbing/releasing moisture slowly over time. I would suggest a large credo or makeing you own humidifier. Because there is no cedar, the humidifier has to do all the work.
As far as sealing goes, go to the nearest marina and get sail makers wax...Now for all you land lubbers who don't know what a marina is...Never mind, would take to long to "splain it to ya". Take the wax and cut out a flat piece. Next cover your 'dor so nothing can fall in. Now with the flat side of wax you cut out(at least an 1 1/2 inch thick), lightly rub it on the lip of the 'dor. Long strokes from one end to the other as to apply as evenly as you can. Only one layer at a time(close it and let it rehumidify). Also, make sure the wax is left in a warm place for a few hours prio to application so the wax is malleable. In most cases only 1 layer is needed because good humidors lid fits well as it is.

Emo

Jason, check your thread, I posted on there.

Emo, that sounds like it would work pretty well. I might try that if I have seal issues.

Sorry Vern, I would have liked to recommended Climmax, but since I have never used the product........ ???

Congratulations Devin!!! That had to be the smoothest mooch attempt I have ever seen! You should give lessons to Lee and Beast! :D :D

Vern is of course too smart to fall for that, but DAMNED good effort!

* applauds*
:love:

I am just waitin till I get the 65% Havana media done and then I think my Blues buddy will be seeing a BIG box in his mail. :cool:

Firestorm, Shoot me an email brother with your addy and I will get some stuff on it's way. you can pay me later, and BTW , I do smoke cigars so you could take care of me that way also.
My email is TEVECAKA@aol.com

Hey Vern, I just realized that you're about the only person on here that I haven't mooched from!

LMAO :p ;) :thumbs:

LOL @ Leebo

Vern those are mighty fine products you have there :D I saw the unit you put into the "Dixie Darling" pass, all I can say is sweet unit ;)

Emo sez:
As far as sealing goes, go to the nearest marina and get sail makers wax...Now for all you land lubbers who don't know what a marina is...Never mind, would take to long to "splain it to ya".

Hey emo....I live in the Rockies. Ya think ski wax would do? ;)

As for the whole humidification problem in general, there is a good faq out there that talks about this (among many other things). You guys may already know about it, but I haven't seen it mentioned so I'll go ahead and toss out the URL for it:
http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/

Hope it helps.

Is ski wax anything like board wax that I used to use when I shreded on the meager waves here in FL? If so, then no. Just go to West Marine's web site and order some. It is very cheap.

Emo

Ahhhh, a fellow Floridian. I moved out here last year from Tallahassee. My bro just moved to P'cola.

To be honest, I have no idea about board wax....or ski wax for that matter. I'm still renting my skis. But I'll file that tidbit about West Marine away in case I ever have a problem. That's an awesome tip. It's brutally dry out here so underhumidification is a constant worry.

:D father t used to be a floridian? I thought I was the only one to leave the state. born+raised in palm beach county (but I can vote so they kicked me out)
:sign: :sign: :sign: