• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help with first humidor

UnromanticMe

Hey guys

Looked through quite a few posts now, and im sure youve heard this a hundred times. The time has come to get my first humidor, so that when the first batch of cigars start coming through I have a place to store them! Now you will have to forgive me as obvious im way too naive when it comes to where to get started, so there may be a few dumb questions, but bare with me if you could.

Ok, so first, I guess im looking for something to store about 100-150, obviously the more the better....budget, about £100, so about $180, but could stretch a lil if required. First, what wood should I start looking for? Is there an optimum for what its made from? Secondly, am I ok to mix all my cigars in it? Its not going to affect the taste of any of them?

Anything else I should be looking for when searching?, obviously I may as well be blonde and want something attractive looking...

Now my most naive point, the actual thing that keeps everything in order, the humidifier I think?? Ive seen so many variations in these, from hearing about beads, water, the puck....can anyone shed some light and break all this down for me, as to what does what, and which I should be after??

Any finally....if anyone has any suggestions on what to go for, post the links!! Im in the Uk too if that helps, but will buy from overseas if shipping isnt tooo bad!

Thanks in advance for your patience..

Jay

I am not an expert and I'm sure there are much wiser folks here but here are some tips I found usefull.

1. Stay within your budget or buy within your means. This hobby is worse then owning a boat!

2. There are some great starter packages (store names left out) on reasonably sized desktop humi's. Look around on the boards for a place near you.

3. Start with some singles. The best part of cigar smoking is to try different brands, sub brands, styles, wrappers, etc... Find what you like and others can help you find others that are similar

4. ASK QUESTIONS. Remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid people, or something like that

Fish

I am not an expert and I'm sure there are much wiser folks here but here are some tips I found usefull.

1. Stay within your budget or buy within your means. This hobby is worse then owning a boat!

I would add this, like a boat buy a bigger one then you think you need. ;)

I would add this, like a boat buy a bigger one then you think you need. ;)

My advice would be to go for the coolidor. No sense in spending a bunch of money until you know it's something you will be doing for awhile. If not a coolidor go for cheaphumidors.com and pick up something there...

X2 on shooters post. Coolidor with some viper beads is a great, cheap humidor. That will leave you more money to spend on cigars. But if you do buy a humidor, make sure it has spanish cedar lined on the inside. Stay away from ebay and those fakies. No problem in mixing cigars in a humi as well. I prefer to keep them in the cello, especially when aging. Try heartfeltindustries for viper beads and there's a post on putting together a coolidor somewhere but I'm too tired to search. :)

This should help some, first if you are going to by a humidor, buy one that is at least 100 to 150. The type of wood that you get is totally up to you. weather it is maple, burl, oak, mahogany, or exotic woods it doesn't matter. AS LONG AS THE HUMIDOR IS LINED WITH SPANISH CEDAR that is the most important thing of all. I bought my first humidor from thecigarstore.com But with you being in the UK, look for a good sight in the UK.

Next what you use for humidication isn't that critical. Some people use beads, some use the retangular or round foam fille humidifiers. I use what is called humi care. It is a propalyne glycol crystal that when wet will absorb 400 times it's size. It's great, I love it and it works great. No complaints. except it takes up alittle room in the humi. But pick one product and try it out. I have heard that the beads are supose to be the best though.

Next, I agree with the other posts, try buying sticks or 5 packs and samplers until you get a feel for what you enjoy smoking, and most of all use self control. Cigars are addicting, really addicting. I know from experience.

The next thing after you get a humi, you need to season the humi. purchase a Boveda seasoning kit to get your humi going, also purchase a good quality digital Hydrometer, don't trust the alnalog ones. Then purchase a calibration kit from boveda, for your humi.

Don't worry after the inital set up costs, which are not really to expensive, you are good to go and should be set to enjoy the way of the cigar.

Good luck and let me know if I can help anymore.

DONK

Man, here should be some script which could add Marks's topic link to every 'looking for new humi' topic :)