• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help with new Tupperdor

soccergod04

Ok, so I started a tupperdor a few days ago. It''ll hold about 125-150 cigars I bet. I got a hygrometer and the humidifying gel beads in a can to get it at 65%. I seasoned the 'dor with half an empty box in it. After calibrating my hygrometer I placed that inside. It was reading in about the 78-80% range, but I read you want it a little high before you add sticks. So when it held constant, I added about the 5 cigars I have on hand. The percentage dropped to 76%, but that's still in the high end of the optimal range and I want to get it down. I have been venting it daily to get air circulation, but how can I get it down? I figured more cigars would soak some of it up, but I'm a college student and can only get a couple a week. I guess if I could score some more empty boxes to add it would help, too.

I also have one more question. If I can't find somewhere to put it that may be at like 78 degrees for part of the day, is this bad? I know about beetles and all, but beetles aside, if I can't find somewhere cooler will my cigars suffer?

Thanks for your help in advance!

What kind and how many beads? How did you season it? I'm not entirely sure on the temperature, I don't know if there are other affects of heat on the cigar besides beetle issues.

The beads are Madelaine and I got one jar that will take care of around 50 sticks. To season it I did the old wipe the wood down with water, put a shotglass of water in and let it sit til the humidity plateaus.

The beads are Madelaine and I got one jar that will take care of around 50 sticks. To season it I did the old wipe the wood down with water, put a shotglass of water in and let it sit til the humidity plateaus.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with those beads, hopefully somebody else that is will be able to help you. The only thing i can think of is that the box you put in has too much moisture in it, you might want to try the tupperdor with out the box in it and just the beads, see what RH that sits at.

I seriously recommend you do a search on Kitty+Litter, output in posts. You'll find this one as well as many others. You don't need to much worry about adding humidity as much as you need to remove it. The gel will only add. the KLH beads will help you do both. But, in the event you are in the 70's for a while, don't worry. It might affect how your sticks burn, but won't really harm them. For more than a week or two, you're at risk for mold.

Should you get past your starving student status, invest in some Heartfelt beads.

Soccer,

I would definitely listen to Bruce (Nullsmurf). I used kitty litter for about a year in a cooler that I had, but I have since 'upgraded' to heartfelt beads (Highly recommended and don't use any subsitutes! No one is as good as David!!!!!) Even on a college student salary (I would know...I'm in school as well) beads wont set you back much at all. :thumbs: If you ever have any questions & don't feel like asking an old guy, private message me. I'd be glad to help.

-Aaron

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I suppose I'll be getting the 2 oz. tube of Heartfelts after the advice and research. Ends up for that amount it'll be less than 20 bucks with shipping. Payday comes on Monday, and besides a few sticks, I know what else I'll be getting. ;) :)

Hi Soccergod,

You can try the Mini pack from Rubbermaid Blue Ice in your Tupperdor to keep the temperature down during the day. They're reusable and inexpensive, under a buck @ Walmart. Along with dropping the temperature, you'll see a drop in the humidity as well. This just might be the right combo to get to you the magical 65~69% humidity.

1026_sm.jpg

Linky for product info.

Best of luck.

Hi Soccergod,

You can try the Mini pack from Rubbermaid Blue Ice in your Tupperdor to keep the temperature down during the day. They're reusable and inexpensive, under a buck @ Walmart. Along with dropping the temperature, you'll see a drop in the humidity as well. This just might be the right combo to get to you the magical 65~69% humidity.

1026_sm.jpg

Linky for product info.

Best of luck.

It defintely helps...but is a HUGE pain in the arse. Be aware that the ice will melt and you don't want a puddle of water sitting on the bottom of your tupperdor. I would recommend wrapping a clean towel around it. Possibly a hand towel for the icepack to sit on would work.

Nice. Yeah, somebody else recommended this to me as well. I currently have one leaning on either side of the outside of the box. Results will be in tomorrow.

screw the tupperware...get yourself a large 100~150 quart cooler.

Even better, a Vinotemp wine fridge from Target...sometimes on sale for $120...usually $190 or so.
Those wine fridges have saved me the grief and worry or heat.

When I was using the cooler, I had to change out blue-ice packs everyday...it was a pain in the neck.

Be sure to get some heartfelt beads as well, they work.

Just like getting more storage than you think you'll need, get more beads than you think. You'll be making more tuppordors! I use a few ounces of then inside an old butter dish in my coolidor. They hold true no matter what.

Besides that, get some old boxes to store your cigars in . The cedar will soak up the moisture and help hold your humidity better. Good luck.