• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HERFs and Charities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home > Resources > Connie's Corner Archive > If You Find Yourself in a Hole, Stop Digging

If You Find Yourself in a Hole, Stop Digging
Whenever my Dad heard me complain about something more than once, he would mutter, “If you’re in a hole, stop digging.” To his way of thinking, life was a matter of common sense – if things weren’t turning out as hoped or expected, before too long it was time to consider a new course.

People are still reading too much into this so I need to make this last post.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY - not everything is about dollars and cents

I AM NOT AGAINST HERFS WITH CHARITIES - have been to quite a few of them with last quad state being one and as Charlie and others may vouch made generous VOLUNTARY donations.

THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON CHARLIE OR QSH -- Charlie had a dillema with free loaders and this was his solution. Thats fine its his HERF.

YES ONE HAS THE FREEDOM NOT TO ATTEND -- but if the laws keep being what they are some day even the ones in NYC might find themselves with an option of attending THE ONLY HERF OF THE YEAR where the charity of choice might be as Swissy wrote in jest " the right wing of the leftist movement to shoot the gay baby whales that were friends of the aborted seals that were clubbed by those that voted early and often ". If that is freedom we are leaving in the wrong country.

AND MY LAST POINT TO PONDER FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE THERE WILL BE MORE HERFS IN THE FUTURE:

A MANDATORY DONATION IS NEITHER DONATION NOR CHARITY BUT THE PRICE OF ADMISSION

You are correct.

Does "Charitable contribution " suit you better? (I'll have to double check the organization in question but I think they have that status.)

Look up the difference...the QSH may have been best to use that term...and others may use it in the future.

At this point you are splitting hairs...which is fine...unless you're Bug Bunny! ;)

Oh wait...I'm splitting hairs.

Dan, your points are valid...your timing, well that may need a little work.

I'll try to take a closer look later - this is a discussion I've been involved with before.

A MANDATORY DONATION IS NEITHER DONATION NOR CHARITY BUT THE PRICE OF ADMISSION
I guess I don't understand the dilemma;

- If you don't approve of the charity being donated to, vote with your pocketbook and don't attend.
- If you are indifferent of the charity being donated to, and the "admission" seems reasonable, attend and don't complain.
- If you really like the charity being donated to, and want to attend, donate generously and have a great time.

If the whole aspect of proceeds going to an agency bothers you, by all means, attend one of the many, many herfs that don't charge admission.

There are plenty of opportunities for folks to get together and smoke. I can't see any reason for the level of tension seems to have brought out.

Above all, don't try to tell other folks what to do with their events. If you don't agree, don't attend. It seems very simple to me....

B.B.S.

Oh fer Christ's sake. You have got to be shittin' me.

Doc.

So yeah, as you can see, "I'm not the go along to get along kind of guy". I hope someone actually reads this and then has thoughts of his/her own.
It's not that people don't read your posts, Dave, it's just that once read they don't make a ton of sense.

You are splitting hairs. The answer is so simple. If you don't agree with the rules, don't play. If you don't like the charity being funded by proceeds, don't go.

What is it you want from guys like Charlie? Do you want them to turn their whole event on its head, and provide you an itemized list of where your $20.00 goes so you don't feel "coerced"....?? In the case of the QSH, you're getting a bag of cigars, entries into a raffle, and a chance to herf with guys from all over the country. Forget that worthwhile organizations will benefit; don't you think that alone is worth $20.00...?? I am honestly trying to understand what you and Dan "want" from event organizers. If the answer is "Don't ever tie herf proceeds to public service agencies" you're asking too much. Their event = their rules.

There are many, many groups that conduct fund raising events that I'd like to attend, but don't because of political / moral / ethical reasons. Wasn't that simple?

B.B.S.

What is it you want from guys like Charlie? Do you want them to turn their whole event on its head, and provide you an itemized list of where your $20.00 goes so you don't feel "coerced"....??

That line right there is exactly why some events ask to have the checks made out DIRECTLY to a charity/organization...so the organizer does not have to field questions and concerns. :thumbs:

Doc...you hit the nail on the head! :laugh:

Oh fer Christ's sake. You have got to be shittin' me.

Doc.

Less filling!

Nice fill in for Wilkey, Dave. Still mad at me?

Dave,

I would like to apologize on behalf of all CP for Nullsmurf. Even if he is saying what we all want to say, he shouldn't say it. Because saying it for others is wrong. No one should say things for others. Are you getting what I'm saying?

DG

This is the type of stuff that goes nowhere, and only hinders the community. No need to bring up the past or insult members.

This is really quite simple - if you don't agree with the rules of attendance for a herf, don't go. Any herf that has to rent space and give away items is not going to be free, I think we all understand that. If the organizer wants to donate a certain percentage or even 100% of the money raised from a herf, then so be it. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Again, please don't dwell on past events, it only tears apart the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.