• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HF Ham Antenna - Cuschcraft R-6000

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Now that we're finally settled into the house, I'm actually going to setup my HF station again. I already found the perfect spot for a vertical, and am going run the coax through the attic right into the room, so it'll be a very clean install.

I'm considering going with the R6000. I want to start with a vertical, and the bands of choice for me 20M and 10M. From what I've read online, this seems to be the best choice (unless anyone here disagrees).

I know we've talk about it before, but I really want to get a cigar net going too.

What do you think?

Here's the antenna I'm leaning towards:

R6000.jpg

Rod, are you doing a ground mounted vertical, or an elevated one...??

Edited to add - the one other vertical I'd recommend taking a look at are the ones that GAP makes. I have a buddy that DX's from crazy remote places, and he uses their antennas. They have differing counterpoise / radial requirements, but they can usually be strung along the roof with little problem.

When I had my HF rig, I ran a HyGain 18AVT mounted on the ground with no radials other than the earth below it. It worked great, and I got some great DX from it. Looks like HyGain has a new version of it, due to be out soon.

Can't fool the laws of fields; a vertical antenna has to have a counterpoise or radial system of some type. I"m not familiar with the one you show, but it looks to me like it's got an active match (in the little box) of some type. Issue there is that the bandwidth may be very narrow, and the angle of radiation will vary a lot from frequency to frequency. If the reviews are good, it may not be much of an issue.

I have to brag just a little....when Rush Drake (W7RM) was still with us, I was invited to operate his massive antenna farm during sweepstakes one year. Can you say "clean sweep" in about 12 hours...??....;-)

73's - NY7D

Hi Rod,

I've got a friend who has a R 6000 and he's really pleased with it. I'm sure you've read the reviews here http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/134.

I'd love to have a vertical but we just don't have the space. We use an OCF dipole, zepp, and a 160M loop.

Let us know how you like it!

73's

KE5FYR

Tom,

Ground radials are what I'm trying to avoid. I bought a 6BTV several years ago and ended up selling it, as it just didn't perform w/o ground radials (even though they said it would). The Cushcraft I posted can be elevated above ground, as ground radials aren't required; it has radials built onto the bottom of the system. This antenna seems to be designed better than the 6BTV I had. The reviews at eham are positive, for the most part. I'm really only interested in working 20M and sometimes 10M. Will be nice to be able to talk to other countries on 20. Back in the mid 90's I worked several countries on 10M. I would get down into Argentina almost daily. The best DX I ever made was during a tropical summer evening; I had a 3 min QSO with a guy in HI. I was on 2M FM. Amazing what tropospheric ducting will do.

I'm going to check out hy-gain and see what they have.

Stat - looks like you have an Extra class license. Are you active on 20M at all?

I have a Yaesu FT-840, however if I can get the antenna situation squared away and assuming it performs well, I might upgrade to the FT-2000. That's one nice rig. :) With all of the earthquakes and other natural disasters occurring, I've decided it's time to set everything back up again.

Hi Rod, we usually check into the 3905 Century Club 40M net when we're on the air. I haven't checked in within the past few months because of my schedule. We're paper chasers (my XYL and I) and we've made some good friends on that net and the HHH net. Last summer we flew to Nova Scotia and shipped our Icom 706, LDG 100 and a 40M Ham Stick to Halifax. We picked it up and made the trip north to Cheticamp and made a bunch of contacts on the 40M early net. We made a couple of contacts in South America (not bad for a Ham Stick, but I think the 'gray line' effect helped). (A couple of the guys had all the provinces except Nova Scotia so we were able to help them out.)
Most all of our contacts are barefoot. We had an SGC Power Cube but we weren't real happy with it and sold it. We've made contacts in about 65 countries (not spectacular compared to someone with a beam and a KW) but most all of our contacts were less than a hundred watts and made with a home brew dipole "zepp" about 30 feet off the ground. Christy, my XYL, has more countries than I. It's a lot easier for her to bust through a pile up (I think it's the "YL effect). That burns me up...LOL.
We've got 2M Icom V8000's in both vehicles and we're active in ARES during tornado and hurricane season.
Let us know how you like your vertical when you get it set up!
73's
KE5FYR

I actually ended up going with the Cuschcraft R8000. I have it put together halfway so far. Should have it mounted by next weekend (supposed to rain this weekend). It's nearly 30 ft tall, and highly rated.

Once I get the antenna situation under control, I think I might upgrade from the Yaesu FT-840 to the Icom -7000. It does 160M all the way up 440MHz all mode, not to mention the price is attractive. Will be nice finally getting back into the game again. Looking forward to hunting some DX on 6M. Once I get the station fully setup, I'm starting an on the air cigar net on 20M. :)

Taking a general class right now. Test is 16th. Then I need to figure out how to get some used equipment without wife complaining. Then will have to hunt down that Cigar net :thumbs:

Good luck with the general! There are a lot of great deals on radios, and I can help you hunt down the deals. :) I got my General back in '97. I am now studying for my Extra, and plan on taking the test this summer. Having the General will open up the doors to HF, lots of fun, especially once you hunt down the HF cigar net that's about to get started.

I passed my no-code tech in I think '95. My son passed his tech last year @ age 8. He is studying for his General too but I don't want to push him. He has a lot of stuff going on for a 10 yr old.

I passed my no-code tech in I think '95. My son passed his tech last year @ age 8. He is studying for his General too but I don't want to push him. He has a lot of stuff going on for a 10 yr old.

Excellent achievement for a 10 year old! Good job!

We've had good luck with used equipment from our local 'ham fest'. We've also been lucky with ebay.

I actually ended up going with the Cuschcraft R8000. I have it put together halfway so far. Should have it mounted by next weekend (supposed to rain this weekend). It's nearly 30 ft tall, and highly rated.

Once I get the antenna situation under control, I think I might upgrade from the Yaesu FT-840 to the Icom -7000. It does 160M all the way up 440MHz all mode, not to mention the price is attractive. Will be nice finally getting back into the game again. Looking forward to hunting some DX on 6M. Once I get the station fully setup, I'm starting an on the air cigar net on 20M. :)

Keep us posted on the cigar net! Be sure to let us know now the Cuschcraft works for you!

Congratulations!!! Great job!

I actually went ahead and ordered the Cushcraft R8. It's about 30 feet tall. I have it 99% completed, however Cushcraft forgot to include one of the 72" stubs. I called them last week and they said they're shipping me one; should be here by Monday. I also ordered a j-mount, so I'm ready to erect the antenna, just waiting for my last part to arrive.

I will be live on 20M in about a week or so; we should at the very least get a group going, and set a time to chat each week. We can quickly turn it into a cigar net. I'm also waiting for my LMR400 coax to arrive.

Check out the WIN System, you might have a linked 2m/440 repeater in your area - www.winsystem.org. If so, we can at least talk that way (for those who don't have HF capabilities).

Rod

nope. Win system not in Indiana. I'll get on the air eventually :D

Actually, all you need to find is a 2m/440 repeater in your area that is connected via IRLP. The WIN system is on reflector 9100. You can link the two repeaters together yourself. I'll search for a repeater local to your area that is connected to IRLP. Stay tuned. :D

Picked up a TS-440S/AT today. Found it on QRZ and itr was a local pickup too. Has the SSB and CW filters.

Now have to hunt down a power supply and antenna. Set up a decent ground.

Damn, I didn't realize that some of the most respected members of CigarPass are also amateur radio operators. I just earned my tech ticket in February, and then upgraded to General in March. Really happy that my late Grandfather's call, W5IEM, was available, so I grabbed it.

Anyone going to be at the Dayton Hamvention this year? I will be, along with my dad, and I know of a pretty good cigar shop out in Beavercreek.

Won't be making Dayton, however there's a hamvention that's happening soon out here in So Cal. Might try to hit that one up.

Get your stations setup so we can get the cigar net going! I finished building the R8, and will be mounting it this week.

That's all I need, another money sucking re-hobby. KH6SU, long ago ex WB5LAS.

Rod, if the antenna sticks too far above the house, spray paint it flat black. It's like a cloak of invisibility. I personally never liked attracting attention.