• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

HF Ham Antenna - Cuschcraft R-6000

Whats the chances a dipole will get me to California ? I have used them before when we held field day here at the house/park but obviously its not the best antenna.

I have a tube TV tower I hinged in the middle back in the 90's and a basic TV rotor on top. Right now I just have a 2/44/6 Tri-band antenna on top and a couple of homemade scanner/2m welding wire antennas up there too.

I would think a tube tower and the basic Weingard TV rotor would handle a reasonable sized beam but they don't give away those beams away....

Looking at a new power supply too. Probably an Astron RS-35M but those aren't free either. My current power supply is only an 8 amp and has a terrible hum even if it was a 20+ amp.

My XYL and myself use a double extended Zepp dipole. We've worked all states on 40 and 80 meters and several countries. You'll need a tuner with the Zepp. We have an LDG tuner that has worked well for us.

Naturally, it's not like having a beam but it's been a pretty good alternative for us. We also have a loop (about 500 ft of 10 gauge stranded insulated wire). The loop is probably our best antenna, but the Zepp is a close second.

Let us know if you decide to build one and we'll send you some links!

Mike KE5FYR

I'll bet an inverted V dipole will get you to Calif.

Sounds like you have an Astron power supply. Mine is 15 years old, and has a bad hum as well. One of the diodes went out; usually the cause for the hum. I'm going to get a new power supply soon.

I think I'll get the antenna in the air this weekend. Going to be a bit of a job, as I have to mount the bracket, run the coax through the attic, and then hook everything up. Stay tuned... :D

Bruce - Get on 2M/440 and we can work each other via IRLP.

I reckon its time for me to get a rig or two. It's been years since I held a mic or key.

You should get on the air Bruce.

Check this out: http://www.irlp.net/

With IRLP, you can connect to repeaters around the world, just find an IRLP enabled repeater in your area. You can get some great deals on radios these days.