• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hiding Humidification Device

handypilot

One thing I saw in common with custom humis was that the humidification system was out in the open. Some of the parts for obvious reasons but others not. Not only does this detract from the space also the form. Most of these humis are works of art, but when you just throw in a Avallo system it looks bad. Sure you can conceal it with cigar boxes, but you're still taking up space.

I'm either going to do a conversion of a curio, or other comparable piece, or a built-in cabinet in my office. If I choose the latter, then it might be easier to hide related components behind the cabinet. However, a curio conversion might not do as well.

Here is my thought...
I could make a thin 1.5"-2" compartment on the back of the humi than runs the length and width. Within this compartment are heartfelt beads somehow open to said compartment but contained (with mesh maybe?). I would have DC CPU fan(s), on a timer, circulating the air to/from this compartment. The only thing you can see are the fans, but these could be disguised leaving a very clean look. This would be the equivalent of a low profile April-Air system that needs bead maintenance once in a while.

You think this could work?
Have you seen any comparable custom designs?

Now were getting a little closer!

Would you use these in conjunction with the 'camber' I described or would you just lay them down in the humi. If it's the latter than you can still see it which I want to prevent. This is a much cleaner looking alternative, especially if you were secure it to the sides, but I think I want something you cant see.

Has anyone used the heartfelt bead sheets? How good do the work? Are they as effective as regular beads?
Maybe viper could chime in if I don't find a thread that talks about them.

Here's picture of what I'm talking about. Sorry for the drafting skills...haven't done this since 1993.
humi2.jpg

The back has a window so you can assess bead condition, and the bead panel would be attached to a door you can tilt out so you can spray the beads with DW. I'm guessing I'll go in my humi only once a day max, and the fans would be timed to run for 5 minutes every 1/2 hour or when the door opens and shuts.

This would be installed in my basement office which stays between 45% humidity in the winter to 55% in the summer. We have a radon mitigation system in the basement so the humidity doesn't change much between seasons.

Couple questions...
Given you all's vast experience, would this be enough to keep humidity in a large build-in cabinet...if you had enough beads?
Do you think I'll need some other active humidification device in addition to the beads?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't see why that wouldn't work the same as using the plastic ones that hold floral foam. I cut mine open, removed the foam and but 65% beads in . . . works like a charm and is essentially what you are planning to do.

First of all...I like the way you think (and sketch).

Secondly...

I'll go in my humi only once a day max, and the fans would be timed to run for 5 minutes every 1/2 hour or when the door opens and shuts.

I would think maybe you could have the fans activated by RH instead of on a timer. Like Cigar Oasis or Avallo. You set the RH that you want via a nice looking digital controller and the fans kick on when the RH drops below that and stay on until the RH is restored.

I bought a couple of sheets thinking I could leave it on the bottom of my fridgidor to sop up any extra humidity (just in case, never can be too cautious). Ended up forgetting they were there and only humidifying my beads. If anyone has better directions on using them, I'd like to know too as they take up very little space.
I cut one of them into 4 sections and laid one on top of a tupperware container when I store some cheap smokes at work. And I have some on the sides of my cooledor as they take up less space although I still have beads in there.

The only drawback to using them is you cannot just pour distilled water on them as the water beads up and rolls right off. Plus one side is grey, the other yellow so I'm not sure which side does what, if anything at all. I spray them with a bottle sprayer and wait till they absorb and turn a darker shade. I guess 30% of absorption is relative to what size you cut it at. Also, I can't tell at a glance how many are opaque versus translucent so you're hygrometer needs to be accurate. FWIW.

Sorry, I have no input on Avallo or Cigar Oasis, as where I live always has humidity, it's getting it lower that's the problem.

First of all...I like the way you think (and sketch).

Secondly...

I would think maybe you could have the fans activated by RH instead of on a timer. Like Cigar Oasis or Avallo. You set the RH that you want via a nice looking digital controller and the fans kick on when the RH drops below that and stay on until the RH is restored.

I was starting to think the same way, but instead of buying a cigar oasis I was going to build a custom unit.

I did some research and there's a guy on eBay that sells a circuit board that is programed through web GUI. It can be set up to measure temp and RH%. The chip can be set up to trigger on/off at a certain temp, RH%, time, etc. and it sends a 5V 25ma signal to a solid state solenoid, which can switch power on/off to said fans. The real cool thing is you can manually control the until from anywhere that has internet! And let's say your on vacation...the unit can be set up to send you an email or text if the trigger temp and/or RH% get out of limits. This would be a great feature given I'm a pilot (gone a lot), because I couldn't expect my wife to babysit my sticks 14 days out of each month.

This whole setup cost about 1/2 the price of a Cigar Oasis and can do much more.

I'm probably going to do this and use bead sheats on the sides of my cabinet to maintain an even balance. Do you think bead are necessary if you have a pimped out humidification system like this? Cuz I would have separate fans that are only there to circulate.

Also does anyone have experiences with building custom programmable system such as this?

Cheers!

A compromise that takes up space BUT does hide it is a nice cigar box humidifier.

Also, a drop down, false top would be a more complete hide than in the back. People would have to look up inside to see the fan openings - not likely. Humidity falls so it is a good spot from a functional point, too.

I am happy i came across this thread.I have a curio cabinet that i thought about transforming into a humidor.Has anyone done this with success.I would hate to go through this and find out it wont work sufficiently.Any and all help concerning this is welcome,Thanks Bill