• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

High End Pipes

CPT/VSG

Is a Dunhill or any other high end pipe that much superior to than a pipe costing $100 or less? I have 18 pipes so far, mostly GBDs from the early 70s and some Boswells. All smoke great as far as I'm concerned but all cost less than $100. But, I have to admit I'm curious about many lines that are $250+. Are they worth the extra cash in terms of smoking quality?

I'm not particularly interested in paying for beauty or uniqueness alone in a pipe--the smoking characteristics are most important to me.

Thoughts?

Though I don't have any first hand experience with those high end pipes, I don't think you can get much more custom than Boswell and he keeps his prices pretty low. I can't imagine them smoking a whole lot better than Boswell's do.

From what I've read, you're paying for exclusivity and pride of ownership. A Dr. Grabow can smoke as well as a Dunhill.

Doc.

"A Dr. Grabow can smoke as well as a Dunhill. "

True.

and a cob can smoke better than a grabow

therfore

a cob can smoke better than a Dunhill.

even if a $5 cob didn't smoke as well as a $250 Dunhill, there is no way
it smokes 50 times better as the price would want you to believe.

They my smoke the same BUT

High end pipes are made completely by hand instead of machine-made and hand finished :thumbs:

High end pipes are made completely by hand instead of machine-made and hand finished :thumbs:
I don't think that statement is true. I don't believe there are any handmade pipes made today. You might want to readThis

Doc

I don't think that statement is true. I don't believe there are any handmade pipes made today. You might want to readThis

Doc

Kinda neat read there!

Big difference between a grabow turned on a CNC Cad/Cam rig, versus a Boswell "Hand" dremelled/sanded/finished/polished. I still consider this to be handmade, since the craftsmans EYE determines when the product is finished, not the last line of code!

Just two copper discs

Doc

Kinda neat read there!

Big difference between a grabow turned on a CNC Cad/Cam rig, versus a Boswell "Hand" dremelled/sanded/finished/polished. I still consider this to be handmade, since the craftsmans EYE determines when the product is finished, not the last line of code!

Just two copper discs

Couldn't agree more with the conclusion. Totally machine made pipes can smoke really well, but there's something about knowing that an individual chose the block, decided on the shape, and worked on that pipe and that pipe alone until it was done that makes a hand made pipe special.

As far as the smoking experience goes....think Phillies Blunt vs. Ashton VSG. Both deliver smoke, but... :rolleyes:

I own both types and both smoke very well. A lesser end pipe that I am not enamored with will meet its demise via trade, sale or donated to the goodwill.

The more expensive one's will either be traded or sold. They retain a certain value that can be capitalized some day either by me or my heirs.

IMO