• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

High End, Retail, or Conversion?

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
So, I am in the process of having a new house built, when we move in I have already informed the Wife that I will be getting a furniture quality Cabinet Humidore.

My questions now are many....

Should I go with an aristocrat or Avello?
Should I get something from a min stream retail site ike Cuban Crafters or Cheap Humidors?

Should I convert a wine fridge? I think that I can get more bang for my buck this way, but the only place I remember selling conversions kits was Forrest, and I am not sure that I want to do business with him again.

I have about an $800-1000 budget and the house won't be ready until spring?

Please chime in with thoughts and comments.

Tim

I'd search Craigslist or eBay you never know what you'll find. Stabel or Avallo you can't go wrong. Biggest problem is shipping cost that eats at your budget.

I love my Aristocrat, but freight was minimal from Dallas to Houston.

Could you have a wine cellar/humidor built in to the new house?
There's some really nice ways to do it and not lose a ton of closet or wall space.

That may not be enough for an Aristocrat or Avello. My buddy bought one from Cheap humidors and it's kinda small (end table unit) for what you pay. Anthony gave sound advice about Craigslist/eBay with the budget you're working with.

I will say this, I'm on year 16 with my Aristocrat and it's still going strong. Bob builds pieces that you hand down to the next generation. When I croak, my son will get it packed with cigars. You should consider saving for a bit longer to buy what you really want.

I love my Aristocrat, but freight was minimal from Dallas to Houston.

Could you have a wine cellar/humidor built in to the new house?
There's some really nice ways to do it and not lose a ton of closet or wall space.
Thought about having one built in, but the cost is crazy through my builder....
Also, I am leaning toward the wine-o-dor. I will not need temp control as it will be in my basement.

what company does Forrest own, I forgot, been a few years since the last time I ordered from him.

T

You can buy a wineador on amazon for cheaper and less wait then forest, Think there is a guy on here that has a shop and made some drawers, if you go that route, and forest site I believe is wineador.com

The guys are right - a Staebell or an Avallo is a lifetime investment, but easily outside your 1K limit. Like Gary, I've got a decade on mine. Just sent the hygro controller in for a calibration, but other than water and wicks, it's been flawless and maintenance free. Worth saving for, IMHO.....

On the other hand, If you've got a 'man room' and a closet with a standard door in same, you should be able to make a very respectable walk in for that kind of money. Tons of storage, very convenient, I'd sure give it some thought.

I don't know anything about Avello but I do have a Aristocrat M Plus, 6 years old now and love it. At first I thought it was a bit too big but within three years I was playing Tetris every time I bought something. I check the water, change the filters and all is well. I suggest you hold out and get a quality piece of furniture that will also correctly store the cigars you've spent your hard earned money on.

Well Tim, you're asking for opinions and I have a million of them, so here goes :)

So you said you have told the wife you want a furniture quality cabinet. But then you're talking about a wine fridge conversion, not really the same thing.
I would first ask yourself several questions. You may find that after some sole searching, your path changes directions.

So you might want to make a list of all the variables, then give them each a priority and weight. Budgets are a funny thing. Maybe you have a specific budget now, but if you really want something that's not in that range, you might give more weight to delaying a purchase until you can afford what you really desire.

1. How much room? You didn't mention any size requirements or desires. I think everyone here can attest to the fact that you always want more room then what you originally plan for, so keep that in mind.
  2. Good enough for now, or life long investment?
  3. Free standing or is built in ok? Do you want to take it with you if or when you move?
  4. Pretty or only functional? You kind of answered that in your first statement, but how strongly do you feel about it?
  5. What's your environment? You said basement, so it sounds like it's a good environment, well regulated, that's a plus and leaves more flexibility on options.
  6. Boxes or singles? This could change over time, maybe? Consider configurations that are flexible for optimal storage.
  7. What is the maximum you are willing to spend on this decision? I know you said 800-1000, but is that really set in stone? You can always find ways to spend more, of course! How important this turns out to be will really have a limiting factor on the ultimate decisions you came make on most other things.
This is first phase of questions, that will help narrow things down a bit. Once you weigh these, you should be able to start looking at actual solutions that will fit the need/desires.

From my personal experience of about a year ago, I considered a larger cabinet but thought what I got would be fine. Now I think I should have splurged and gone bigger. If I do go bigger someday, then I'll have an extra cabinet to deal with, what a pain. Some parting thoughts....you're investing in something that's probably a long term investment, and it's designed to protect another big investment. So choose wisely with an eye to the future.

Nice George. Those are some great things to consider. Maybe even sticky worthy.

All I have to add is something that’s been said here before. “Buy once, cry once”.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Well Tim, you're asking for opinions and I have a million of them, so here goes :)

So you said you have told the wife you want a furniture quality cabinet. But then you're talking about a wine fridge conversion, not really the same thing.
I would first ask yourself several questions. You may find that after some sole searching, your path changes directions.

So you might want to make a list of all the variables, then give them each a priority and weight. Budgets are a funny thing. Maybe you have a specific budget now, but if you really want something that's not in that range, you might give more weight to delaying a purchase until you can afford what you really desire.

1. How much room? You didn't mention any size requirements or desires. I think everyone here can attest to the fact that you always want more room then what you originally plan for, so keep that in mind.
  2. Good enough for now, or life long investment?
  3. Free standing or is built in ok? Do you want to take it with you if or when you move?
  4. Pretty or only functional? You kind of answered that in your first statement, but how strongly do you feel about it?
  5. What's your environment? You said basement, so it sounds like it's a good environment, well regulated, that's a plus and leaves more flexibility on options.
  6. Boxes or singles? This could change over time, maybe? Consider configurations that are flexible for optimal storage.
  7. What is the maximum you are willing to spend on this decision? I know you said 800-1000, but is that really set in stone? You can always find ways to spend more, of course! How important this turns out to be will really have a limiting factor on the ultimate decisions you came make on most other things.
This is first phase of questions, that will help narrow things down a bit. Once you weigh these, you should be able to start looking at actual solutions that will fit the need/desires.

From my personal experience of about a year ago, I considered a larger cabinet but thought what I got would be fine. Now I think I should have splurged and gone bigger. If I do go bigger someday, then I'll have an extra cabinet to deal with, what a pain. Some parting thoughts....you're investing in something that's probably a long term investment, and it's designed to protect another big investment. So choose wisely with an eye to the future.

All great questions!!!!

1.I got the whole basement. Size is not a limiting factor, I will go bigger than what I think I need. My collection has lived in a 50qt cooler for a few years now, and by buying pattern supports the current size well. I am not a box buyer, but prefer buying 5/10 at a time.

2. Life long
3. Either is fine depending on what direction I go
4. Function first always, but I would like something to show off as well
5. Basement, Colorado Springs, I will use a mine of active and passive control measures
6. Singels (some stored in boxes, lol)
7. 1k is the top right now, but we all know things change......but I don't see the wife moving much from that mark.

T

I use my front bedroom as an office, and I've been eyeing the 4' X 5' closet in here since buying the house, so I . . . have a few thoughts, collected over the years.

1. Luaun plywood is basically the same thing as Spanish cedar, which is actually a form of mahogany, not cedar. I would need to put up some foil faced insulation board, because this is south Texas above ground, but for a basement in Colorado, you probably wouldn't.
2. We BOTH would need an electrical outlet in there for the humidification system, but for new construction that's easier for you than for me. I have to find someone who'll do a small job like that.
3. I also need to have a closet vent from my A/C installed, which is another holdup, but again, you wouldn't.
4. Humidification for a space that size runs around $300 or so. I'm thinking two cabinet units and some extra fans.
5. Wire closet shelving would run another couple hundred at most. You could add cedar trays, or as a friend of mine did with his walk in, an assortment of humidors (he'd been collecting them for years). Or you could go whole hog and have a local cabinet shop make you something pretty.
6. A nice glass door with some weatherstripping and a lockset would finish it off nicely.
7. LED or rope lights would keep the heat gain down.

~Boar

Boar,

that has crossed my mind and is indeed an idea, but I am past the adding stuff to the build stage, but it could still be done.....

T

I use my front bedroom as an office, and I've been eyeing the 4' X 5' closet in here since buying the house, so I . . . have a few thoughts, collected over the years.

1. Luaun plywood is basically the same thing as Spanish cedar, which is actually a form of mahogany, not cedar. I would need to put up some foil faced insulation board, because this is south Texas above ground, but for a basement in Colorado, you probably wouldn't.
2. We BOTH would need an electrical outlet in there for the humidification system, but for new construction that's easier for you than for me. I have to find someone who'll do a small job like that.
3. I also need to have a closet vent from my A/C installed, which is another holdup, but again, you wouldn't.
4. Humidification for a space that size runs around $300 or so. I'm thinking two cabinet units and some extra fans.
5. Wire closet shelving would run another couple hundred at most. You could add cedar trays, or as a friend of mine did with his walk in, an assortment of humidors (he'd been collecting them for years). Or you could go whole hog and have a local cabinet shop make you something pretty.
6. A nice glass door with some weatherstripping and a lockset would finish it off nicely.
7. LED or rope lights would keep the heat gain down.

~Boar
4'x5' is big...

I did exactly what you are describing in the wall off my master bedroom when i did the bathroom remodel. however it is 4'x2'x2' with plenty of room. It works great and doesn't take up any floor space. This is an easy project to build on you own.

Check out my NewAir281 build. I am in the process of getting a second. I plan to build a cabinet to hold them both, plus all my liquor and wine.

4'x5' is big...

This is a great little house. Bought it new construction right before the subprime crash; got probably the last zero down, costs paid, allowances in contract, 10K in free upgrades, annual tax credit certificate mortgage in America. :D

It's only 1002 square feet, but it packs three bedrooms with walk in closets, two baths, and a great room with a 9' tray ceiling into that. Sheer genius! Kitchen's apartment sized but has a big pantry.

~Boar