• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hip Replacement Surgery?

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I found out yesterday that my mom needs hip replacement surgery. I don't know the why/when/how's of it and I don't know much about the actual surgery and out patient treatment other then it is pretty invasive but a fairly common surgery. I’m a little nervous due to the fact the she lives on her own and has two small dogs which need to be walked and fed. I was wondering if any one here has any info they could PM me with. Thanks.

I found out yesterday that my mom needs hip replacement surgery. I don't know the why/when/how's of it and I don't know much about the actual surgery and out patient treatment other then it is pretty invasive but a fairly common surgery. I’m a little nervous due to the fact the she lives on her own and has two small dogs which need to be walked and fed. I was wondering if any one here has any info they could PM me with. Thanks.

From my experience with this in litigation involving such surgeries, depending on her age and the reasons necessitating the hip replacement surgery (i.e., fracture, avn, etc.), it will vary on the procedure and how fast she recoups (moreso with regard to her age, health condition). She will likely need, and be provided with, some manner home health aide to assist with her ADLs and such aftewards. If not, you should probably arrange for it asap.

With regards to its invasiveness, there are minimally invasive procedures out there, but it definitely take an orthopedic surgeon to determine if she is a candidate for such.

For some more info, there are some great tutorials to check out:

Here

and

Here

for example.

Excellent links noted above.

My wife is an OR nurse and one of her sub-specialties is orthopedics. I use to work in critical care and emergency services. My wife's suggestion is to find a surgeon that does a lot of these procedures. Any ortho guy can do the case, but the really good ones get that way because they do a lot of them.

Postop period will be dependent on her overall health. Warn her that they are going to make her work hard after surgery - this will get her home much sooner. She will be out of bed on the evening of surgery and walking with assistance the next day.

Physical therapy is a must while in the hospital as well as visits at home.

Best of luck.

Thanks MC, those links were really informative. I know more and feel better about the situation.

From whay I understand you can do a partial or a full.

My friend(who is in his mid-40's) had the partial done and was back golfing within weeks.
(not fully golfing - but practicing)

He had the partial because after so many years it will need to be redone.

Good luck to her.