• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Home Insurance Damage

Jyoung

Anyone ever dealt with having your home damaged from lightning? Wednesday night i was out of town and when I returned home Thursday night, half of my house suffered from a lightning strike. A high performance computer I built, 2 dell computers, 55" tv, DSL Modem,Wireless Router, and a huge dead tree was affected. On top of that random electric plugs and light switches no longer work. Having an electrician come out today and take a look at what will need to be fixed.

It really sucks when all your electronics no longer work. Lucky cigars require no electricity....

I'd dust off my home owners policy and read the fine print. Hope it is covered and that all will be replaced.

Anyone ever dealt with having your home damaged from lightning? Wednesday night i was out of town and when I returned home Thursday night, half of my house suffered from a lightning strike. A high performance computer I built, 2 dell computers, 55" tv, DSL Modem,Wireless Router, and a huge dead tree was affected. On top of that random electric plugs and light switches no longer work. Having an electrician come out today and take a look at what will need to be fixed.

It really sucks when all your electronics no longer work. Lucky cigars require no electricity....

If anything was on a surge supressor...you are most likely covered by that devices warranty!

If not, you're prolly SOL.

It's impossible to tell without looking at the policy, most companies vary their forms. If it is an HO-3 written on standard ISO forms, you should be covered up to your coverage C limit. Sublimits with electronics typically come in to play when located in a vehicle or used for business. Call your agent and they will walk you through this. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

edit to add: There are certainly going to be sublimits for the debris removal of the tree or replacing it, I don't remember what the standard amount. This experience will be invaluable in figuring out whether your insurance agent is just there to collect your check and deduct his commission or if they are prepared to help you through this. If you find yourself unhappy with their responsiveness, I would find a new agency.

-Matt

Well it is a new house, and my first house. I have had it for about a year and a half, looks like this is going to be one of them life learning experiences.

It's impossible to tell without looking at the policy, most companies vary their forms. If it is an HO-3 written on standard ISO forms, you should be covered up to your coverage C limit. Sublimits with electronics typically come in to play when located in a vehicle or used for business. Call your agent and they will walk you through this. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Good advice!

Good advice from CasaSoho.

I would add that if you have an HO-3 policy you need to understand that it is an "all risk" policy form. In other words unless the cause of loss is specifically named in the "Exclusions" section of your policy, it is covered. So to find out if something is covered or not, read your policy exclusions, if it is not listed there, it is covered.

Compare that to the less expensive Dwelling Fire policies (DP-1,2 or 3) which are "named peril" meaning unless it is specifically listed as covered, it is not. The two are basically opposites in terms of what is or is not covered.

Hopefully you have the HO-3.

The most common perils for which you will generally be covered under an HO-3 policy include:

Fire and smoke
Lightning
Tornadoes and windstorms
Hail
Explosions
Vandalism
Theft
Damage from vehicles
Falling objects
Loss of food in your refrigerator or freezer due to power outage outside your home (usually up to $500)
Weight of ice, snow, and sleet (except to fence, pavement, patio, swimming pool, or dock)
Accidental discharge of water from plumbing system (i.e. pipe bursts) or freezing of plumbing
Accidental cracking of your hot water heating system
Accidents resulting from your negligence on or off your property (includes damages award to third party, medical bills of third party, and your legal costs--up to policy limit)
Your personal property anywhere in the world (with some exceptions)

As has already been said, talk to your agent if you have any questions. Take photos yourself (the adjuster will also take photos but it's a good idea to have your own as well). Hopefully you have receipts for the electronics that were damaged or destroyed as they will establish value.

On the personal property valuation side of the claim; your policy will either cover the loss at ACV (Actual Cash Value) or at RC (Replacement Cost). If you have a good agent he will have sold you a policy with the RC endorsement because the difference can be significant in terms of how you get reimbursed.

ACV - The adjuster looks at the property damaged or destroyed and determines the cost to replace with new property of like kind and quality, less depreciation (age, wear and tear, etc..). Courts have varied in their rulings as to whether or not depreciation includes obsolescence (loss of usefulness as a result of outmoded design, construction, etc.).

RC - The adjuster looks at the property and determines the cost to replace the property on the same premises with other property of comparable material and quality used for the same purpose. This would apply unless the limit of insurance or the cost actually spent to repair or replace the damaged property is less. One thing to keep in mind with an RC valuation is that most insurers will only pay you up front, an amount equal to the ACV (less any deductibles). Then once you have actually replaced the item and present a receipt, they will cut you a final check to make up the balance so in other words you have to actually replace the item to receive full reimbursement.

In all cases refer to your policy documents for the definitions of coverage and how claims are settled to get the specifics as to how your specific policy will cover you.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

I would add that if you have an HO-3 policy you need to understand that it is an "all risk" policy form. In other words unless the cause of loss is specifically named in the "Exclusions" section of your policy, it is covered. So to find out if something is covered or not, read your policy exclusions, if it is not listed there, it is covered.

Compare that to the less expensive Dwelling Fire policies (DP-1,2 or 3) which are "named peril" meaning unless it is specifically listed as covered, it is not. The two are basically opposites in terms of what is or is not covered.

Hopefully you have the HO-3.

LOL, I don't know about where you all live, but we only use those references on the P&C test. The companies here never use those names for there homeowner or dwelling policies. ???

Anyways, in the great state of TN, lighting doesn't count against you, and I do realize that might be different per state, but you need to call and ask you insurance agent. Only they (and you) know exactly what the policy covers. ;)

Also:
and a huge dead tree was affected.

That's bad. With Nationwide, if you know a tree is dead, and you do not take the actions to have it removed, and it falls on your house... It's your fault. That's upkeep to your property. If lighting killed the tree that's different, but if it's been dead a while, I'd get it out of there.

LOL, I don't know about where you all live, but we only use those references on the P&C test. The companies here never use those names for there homeowner or dwelling policies. ???

I agree that most insurers call their policies by some sort of trade name like the "Protector Plus" or Deluxe Homeowners Policy" or some other nice sounding name it doesn't make sense to use a trade name when trying to explain the difference in coverage since in reality all policies are written on ISO forms and will ultimately come down to being a HO-1, HO-3, HO-4, DP1, DP-2 etc... with some minor proprietary differences.

If I had said "I hope you have a Next Generation Super Deluxe Guardian Angel Homeowners policy, it would have made zero sense" :)

Yeah, I understand. I just got a chuckle out of it. There's some thing like 20 different home and dwellings on the p&c test, I doubt I remember the 3rd one LOL