• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Home video surveillance.

xRanger

With the building of our new home, I would like to install a video surveillance system. I know little to nothing about these other than the basics I am looking for. A four camera system, most likely DVR based, not PC, and something that is affordable.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill, check Costco's on line resource. As I recall they had several different models that looked pretty good.

We have a monitored alarm system that I think is also a good idea. Most of the alarm companies will cut you a decent "pre wire" deal on suggested system wiring or at least provide you with input so you could pull your own wires. Might make a couple of phone calls. I'm not a professional but I have helped a buddy or two do the alarm pre-wiring for "home brew" alarms and they were very happy with the result.

Lastly, don't forget the home theater / Ethernet cables. So cheap and easy to do now, such a pain in the ass after the sheetrock goes up..... :laugh:

Good idea; keep 'em safe - B.B.S.

Bill, check Costco's on line resource. As I recall they had several different models that looked pretty good.

We have a monitored alarm system that I think is also a good idea. Most of the alarm companies will cut you a decent "pre wire" deal on suggested system wiring or at least provide you with input so you could pull your own wires. Might make a couple of phone calls. I'm not a professional but I have helped a buddy or two do the alarm pre-wiring for "home brew" alarms and they were very happy with the result.

Lastly, don't forget the home theater / Ethernet cables. So cheap and easy to do now, such a pain in the ass after the sheetrock goes up..... :laugh:

Good idea; keep 'em safe - B.B.S.

Yep, ehernet and cable wiring go in before the sheet rock for sure. I was also planning on a monitored system as well as the video. I will check Costco and see what they have to offer.

Thanks!

If you get the PC based system...we can all watch!

Ewwwwwww!

You dont need to see that, you already finished! :D Need a napkin??

I forget the name of the movie, but in it, there were machine guns which were triggered by a laser beam perimeter. They messed up a bunch of apes. Seams to be more proactive in terms of home security then cameras. Dont you have acess to an armory?

I am a low voltage electrical contractor in Florida. Our specialty is fire alarm systems, but we also install cctv, access control, burglar alarm, and computer networking. Maybe I can advise you in what you should be looking for when you go shopping.

Sharpness of the image is what is typically critical with a cctv system. Cameras are rated in lines of resolution. The higher the number the sharper the image. You should look for cameras at least 380 lines resolution.

DVRs are rated in fps (frames per second). For a high quality picture you want no less than 15 fps per camera. Four cameras means the DVR should have no less than 60 fps. Most DVRs can be motion activated, and only will start recording when activity is present.

I hope I have been of some help. Long ashes.

Peter

I am a low voltage electrical contractor in Florida. Our specialty is fire alarm systems, but we also install cctv, access control, burglar alarm, and computer networking. Maybe I can advise you in what you should be looking for when you go shopping.

Sharpness of the image is what is typically critical with a cctv system. Cameras are rated in lines of resolution. The higher the number the sharper the image. You should look for cameras at least 380 lines resolution.

DVRs are rated in fps (frames per second). For a high quality picture you want no less than 15 fps per camera. Four cameras means the DVR should have no less than 60 fps. Most DVRs can be motion activated, and only will start recording when activity is present.

I hope I have been of some help. Long ashes.

Peter

I forget the name of the movie, but in it, there were machine guns which were triggered by a laser beam perimeter. They messed up a bunch of apes. Seams to be more proactive in terms of home security then cameras. Dont you have acess to an armory?

Ahhh, Congo, a great movie!! I dont need to have the fire power wired into the cctv system though, I just need to know where they are! :cool:

I will take it from there.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will most likely be pm'ing a couple of you for some input.

Bill