Homemade Limoncello / Grapefruit Cello?

Added the basic simple syrup to Doc's recipe. Mines sat for 2 weeks instead of the 7 days listed on the recipe. I will let it sit for another week at room temperature and then bottle it and put it in the fridge. I had a taste and it's pretty darn good. Thanks again for sharing your recipe Doc. My second batch will sit for another 2 weeks before I add the honey.

Pugman1943

Doc, with only the two of us, could you reduce the receipe by half and have it come out as well?

Another good thing about this thread for me is, now I know what they were drinking on the beach in the movie “ Under the Tuscan Sun “.

Last edited:

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
Doc, with only the two of us, could you reduce the receipe by half and have it come out as well?

Another good thing about this thread for me is, now I know what they were drinking on the beach in the movie “ Under the Tuscan Sun “.
I don't see why not, but it will last forever in the freezer.
The Amalfi coast is a lot different than Tuscany; so, I wouldn't be too sure about what they were drinking. Could be, but might not be.
Doc

Last edited:

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
Added the basic simple syrup to Doc's recipe. Mines sat for 2 weeks instead of the 7 days listed on the recipe. I will let it sit for another week at room temperature and then bottle it and put it in the fridge. I had a taste and it's pretty darn good. Thanks again for sharing your recipe Doc. My second batch will sit for another 2 weeks before I add the honey.
That looks good man. Let us know how it is, after you've had it in the freezer for a while. I'm betting it only gets better.

So is it honey instead of simple syrup? That does sound pretty good.
Yes...I used 24oz. It gives it a different kind of sweetness...not so 'in your face' sweet...more mellow. I had to add a little distilled water because it was way too strong as it was after adding the honey. Not sure how much distilled water I added, I did it a 1/2 cup at a time, then tasted it. Bottom line is, I wound up with five 16oz bottles....80oz total....minus the tasting sips!

looks great. Mine is in the freezer and tastes great. Next time try a batch of grapefruit. I prefer it slightly over the lemon but, they are both excellent.
Yes...definitely! That'll be the next batch. I'm going to put them in ice when I get to the herf and see how it changes the taste. It's quite potent. :eek:

For the record, Paul drank the limoncello like he was going to the electric chair. He basically took over the distribution of that liquor. I had 5 bottles...my son Anthony & his buddies drank half a bottle. Paul grabbed three bottles (he asked permission each time and I folded like a cheap tent) and he shared them with a good number of people...he was the Pied Piper of this one. The last bottle was stolen by Kris (@Light this!)...he finally fessed up to the crime late Saturday night.

I ran the peach & apple pie moonshine distribution the night before. All in all...we went through 3 1/2 gallons of 120-130 proof booze via Dixie cups & other creative methods. Paul & I made a lot of friends this weekend.