• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Honey baked ham stores - never again!

I sat in line at the dinner table and had homemade pies. Lets see: I think there was a strawberry rhubarb, a peach, and a minced meat pie :love:

Why can't anyone bake anymore? The only thing I missed seeing was a sugar cream pie :thumbs:

Trust me, if I wasn't already committed to this ham (already said I'd get one from there), I would have kept driving too. I thought about leaving and going to Costco, but it would have taken me 1 1/2 hrs to get there due to traffic.

California...knows how to party
California...knows how to party

We traveled to my folks' place in Soldiers Grove, WI for Thanksgiving. While my father carved the turkey, he said in a quiet voice, "Remember the two turkeys we kept by the chickens. Well, we have one now."

And that's why I teach my boys that their Grandma and Grandpa McKenney cut out the middle man. :)

I sat in line at the dinner table and had homemade pies. Lets see: I think there was a strawberry rhubarb, a peach, and a minced meat pie :love:

Why can't anyone bake anymore? The only thing I missed seeing was a sugar cream pie :thumbs:
Careful what you wish for. I married a Woodchuck. These people have donuts fried in lard with every meal, not to mention pie for breakfast. She's trying to kill me for the insurance money. I'm sure of it.

Doc.

I was thinking the same thing. In the 2 hours spent at Costco alone, you could have made some pretty good pies. I made a pretty damn good pumpkin pecan one, with a killer butter-rum sauce in less time than it would have taken to go to the store. And while it baked, had time for a pretty tasty smoke.

We each have our strengths, and cooking is not one of mine. My hat goes off to those who can take an ordinary pumpkin and turn it into a great tasting pumpkin pie. I know very few people who can and do. I don't see much difference between a store bought pie and one made from cans of fillings. My one regret is in underestimating the line on that particular night. I'll go two nights before Thanksgiving next time.

Did you know that a lot of canned "pumpkin" can actually be squash. Squash, pumpkin, and yams can be interchanged as they generally have the same flavor when you add some cinnamon and nutmeg. Oatmeal raisin cookies is the other secret. Manufacturers sometimes use dates depending on market.

For those who can't bake or make a pie crust that is why they make premade pie crust. Maybe we should put ourselves to the challenge of making a pie for Christmas dinner.

I can just see the CP thread at Christmas time. Our wives will feel so threatened that they will ban us from the kitchen meaning they willingly make the food, we eat it, and then retreat to the smoke room and computer to post about our wiley plan. Our plan will have worked and they will never know our scheme.

Shhhh! keep it quiet Now get baking BOTL! (Bakers of the Leaf) :whistling:

you've never had apple pie until you have tried one of my mothers made from the apples off the trees in their yard and her homemade pie crust.