• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How bad are hard contacts

OzPod

Reaction score
I got diagnosed with keratoconus earlier today, which makes sense with my blurry and failing vision in my left eye while my right is perfect. My main question is for anyone who has worn hard lens contacts lately, the ones with the soft skirt on the outside instead of the hard edges. I have to get fitted for them next week and was wondering how long it takes getting used to and if they really bother you.

I havent worn the type you describe i only wore the full hard and i believe i saw better out of those than the contacts that i have now. the only thing i didnt like was trying to take them off after a long day of wearing them cause they felt like they suctioned themselves to my eyes.

I used to work for an eye doctor and worked with patients to help them get used to wearing contact lens. I actually tried to wear the hard ones just so I knew just a bit about what they felt like...I would never wear them, knowing that I have seen docs put people with pretty bad vision cases in soft lenses with great satisfaction. That being said I do not know your specific case, so maybe these are going to be better for you...I can only say, from everyone that has told me about them who wore them, comfort is an issue for a bit. It will take getting used to any kind of lens however, no matter hard or soft.

Melly

It's depends. How many times a day do you poke yourself in the eye?

It's different for everyone. Some adjust quite quickly, while others take longer.

It generally takes more than one fitting to find the right RGP or hybrid lens. Be prepared for that.

I've worn the hybrid lenses and did not like them. They cost quite a bit more than RGPs (which are already pretty expensive) and they tended to tear at the edge. They allow for less oxygen to pass through, so that can be a concern. They also fell out a lot more. There may be new ones available that are better now, I've not looked at them lately.

I've tried just about every lens out there (TheWife© is an optometrist). I see the best with the hard lenses, but the comfort and fitting issues are legitimate concerns. Your doctor should have your best interest in mind and he or she should be able to address your concerns. Ask questions and make sure they listen. If not, find another doctor.