• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How bout them gas prices

My Cirrus gets around 20-22mpg. Original plugs at 160,000 miles but have to take of intake to change them. Will have to fit it in the budget. Oh ya, I live where I work and try to time my errands around my work related trips at a reimbursment of .45 cents/mile.

Wife gets around 22-24 on town and COuntry van.

My new Sequioa sucks on the gas mileage. I get 14.9 mpg on my daily commute to work and yesterday I had to take the wife to Memphis for an eye appointment. I thought the gas mileage would be better taking I-40 all the way with the cruise set. NOPE, I got 15 mpg.

The gas prices suck.....no doubt. But it could be worse I guess.

I don't get the complaints about gas prices. Gas in Canada is, on average, about $4 USD a gallon. Gas in the UK is on average about $8 USD a gallon. Don't even ask about Iceland... fact is we have some of the lowest gas prices in the world here.

My wife and I both live 10-15 minutes from our jobs. We have been waiting until weekends to do errands to conserve.

It's all about supply and demand folks.... ;)

Try paying for this price of gas on a very fixed and limited income. And the VA Hospital doesnt understand why I dont drive around 180 miles total to see my Doctors since they only give $11 for gas money. I've already seen food prices raised in town to accomodate the business profits. :angry: Its going to be a tough year on Disability.

We just got back from a 1500 mile round trip averaging about 27 mpg. That's the best we've ever done in my wife's 300M. Tried to keep it right about 60mph and easy accelerating. We got passed a lot, got some dirty looks, and added about 45 minutes to our drive time, but it took one less fill up each way to get where we were going saving us over $80.

I try to keep my Explorer at 55mph or so on the highway and am averaging about 18mpg with that (it needs a tune up and it would probably do better). Of course we don't live in a high traffic area, so I can afford to be a bit more leisurely in my speeds.

Once most cars get over 60mph or so the mileage really starts to drop. Some cars will have two dots on the speedo that mark the mpg "sweet spot".

I'm afraid these prices are here to stay for the most part, so I suppose we should all try to adapt as best we can. It sure stinks at first and is pretty tough on a lot of people, though. I guess we can all be glad we don't live in one of the other aforementioned countries. Just think what $5/gallon would be like. Ugh...

here is another take on this...what if the feds/states were to cut the fuel tax until pricing leveled out?(yeah, right)
i know we have 28 cents tacked on just in state fuel taxes ( State Fuel Taxes)
and 18.4 cents in federal tax.

I just bought a new Subaru Tribeca ( which I really like :D ) - Took it on a trip last week - averaged 22.5 MPG with 5 passengers and too much luggage - not bad for a SUV type car - I have not had it long enough to see what the MPG will be around town, but my guess is 16-18 MPG depending on how heavy my wife's foot is :laugh:

The gas prices suck.....no doubt. But it could be worse I guess.

I don't get the complaints about gas prices. Gas in Canada is, on average, about $4 USD a gallon. Gas in the UK is on average about $8 USD a gallon. Don't even ask about Iceland... fact is we have some of the lowest gas prices in the world here.

I don’t think there would be as much shock if it where a steady upward pace but it fluctuates so much. When it jumps damn near $0.50 and doesn’t change from there one can’t help but think something there stinks. Especially when they know everyone’s cutting there driving down with that kind of increase and spring is upon us so the refineries that where closed for repairs are now open to meet the demand. I’m sure there’s an actual reason, it’s just the sticker shock.

-Mark

04 Nissan Pathfinder
avg. 15mpg

meh,

i chose SUV, i stick with SUV

Just bought my wife a suburban.This thing rides like a cadillac.I wouldnt trade it for anything.I dont really sweat about the gas price because she has 5 kids to haul so my vehicle choices are limited to say the least.However,it does get better mileage than the mini van we had!Go figure.

I bet our gas prices in Hawaii are the highest in the nation. Good thing I drive a company truck and use their gas card and my wife works from home. We do fill her Honda CRV up once a month or so just for kicks.

I bought a 2000 Toyota 4Runner with a 3.4L V6 last June that I really like. The mileage varies quite a bit depending on what type of driving I do. I can get anywhere from 14 in the city to 22 on the highway.

I have thought many times of dumping it in lieu of something sporty and small, like a Mazda3. I like having the ability to load a bunch of gear in the back though whether it is for a camping trip, moving, or going to trial and taking the boatload of documents and equipment required.

Do you all think it would be cheaper in the long run to dump the 4Runner and get the small car, plus rent an SUV when I need the extra room? That really is the dilemma. Also, I get reimbursed at the IRS rate at work and tend to consolidate business and personal errands whenever possible.

I bought a 2000 Toyota 4Runner with a 3.4L V6 last June that I really like. The mileage varies quite a bit depending on what type of driving I do. I can get anywhere from 14 in the city to 22 on the highway.

I have thought many times of dumping it in lieu of something sporty and small, like a Mazda3. I like having the ability to load a bunch of gear in the back though whether it is for a camping trip, moving, or going to trial and taking the boatload of documents and equipment required.

Do you all think it would be cheaper in the long run to dump the 4Runner and get the small car, plus rent an SUV when I need the extra room? That really is the dilemma. Also, I get reimbursed at the IRS rate at work and tend to consolidate business and personal errands whenever possible.

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2001 4Runner. I almost sold it for a Mazda 3 but I only drive 10,000 miles a year so it would take many years to make up for the loss of trading or selling the 4Runner in gas savings if I went for the Mazda3.
Now if you drove 15,000-20,000 miles a year and could sell your 4Runner for the same price as you purchased it for, you might save some on gas. But dont forget the $1500 or so you have to pay in taxes on that new Mazda3.

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 2001 4Runner. I almost sold it for a Mazda 3 but I only drive 10,000 miles a year so it would take many years to make up for the loss of trading or selling the 4Runner in gas savings if I went for the Mazda3.
Now if you drove 15,000-20,000 miles a year and could sell your 4Runner for the same price as you purchased it for, you might save some on gas. But dont forget the $1500 or so you have to pay in taxes on that new Mazda3.

I looked at the numbers this morning on April's gas purchases and discovered the following:

1.) I spent $126 in gas for the truck
2.) I was reimbursed by the firm $119 for a trip to Carthage, Branson and Ozark
3.) I basically took a free trip to Kansas City last weekend!
4.) I should just be grateful I have an excellent vehicle that runs well and I work for a firm that promptly reimburses out of town mileage!

I own a Ford with a V6 and I get between 19 to 22 mpg overall average for gasoline mileage.

I decided to park the Expedition and picked up a motorcycle for commuting.

I never realized how much I used to stop and fill that beast up until now. :cool:

I looked at the numbers this morning on April's gas purchases and discovered the following:

1.) I spent $126 in gas for the truck
2.) I was reimbursed by the firm $119 for a trip to Carthage, Branson and Ozark
3.) I basically took a free trip to Kansas City last weekend!
4.) I should just be grateful I have an excellent vehicle that runs well and I work for a firm that promptly reimburses out of town mileage!

Sounds like a no brainer to me....enjoy yr 4Runner; and in 5-6 years when there are some truly efficient cars on the market (not a Mazda3), I will make the switch.