• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How can I tell if a cigar is a dud?

rashire

(In advance: if this has been posted I apologize, I did search before I posted and I assumed this would be a common topic but found nothing)

So I'm sitting out back smoking a Dominican made Cohiba Toro EMS. I still suck at terms but its a lighter shade wrapper, although a bit darker, like tan with a hint of brown, and either a churchill or robusto shape. Anyways, I taste nothing, it's not good or bad, light or strong, I just taste nothing. At one point I thought I tasted what I (in my noob ways) felt was a hint of spice but it went away a puff later. The burns steady and even, it produces a decent amount of smoke, no problems with the light at all. I'm just baffled. So the question is, is this a dud? I've yet to have any cigar that I didnt enjoy the taste of so this is just confusing.

I was contemplating ashing it as I was typeing but now it seems I'm forced to anyways (have to give mother a ride to hospital because shes 36 hours into a migraine). So if anyone can link me to a helpful article or provide some insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

-quick edit now that I'm finally home. when I meant it tasted like nothing I mean I didn't even taste tobacco. Name anything you ever tasted in a cigar or anything you ever smoked and it was absent.

I had this same experience plenty of times when I first started smoking, no idea why though. I have smoked that particular Cohiba and I can tell you that in my opinion, it wasn't heavy on flavor to begin with. I didn't really get any noticeable taste until about halfway through.

So I'm sitting out back smoking a Dominican made Cohiba Toro EMS. . . I taste nothing, it's not good or bad, light or strong, I just taste nothing.

. . . is this a dud?

No.

It's a Dominican Cohiba. :sign:

That's what they're like. CF: Macanoodle. Same traffic, different cigar.

~Boar

From one cigar it might be hard to tell if it was a dud or not. Smoke another one as soon as you get the chance. Take your notes from the first one with you and compare them.

If the second verse is the same as the first, then you might be on to something.

Also you can try shifting the humidity you store the cigar at and see if that changes the profile.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input guys, pretty sure I forgot to mention I smoked it till the half way point before I had to run out. Sadly (luckily?) I don't have a second one of these but I'm probably going to write this one off forever. (It's not the cc version so w/e) I do have 2 other sticks from the same variety pack left though have to burn one of them and see if i get a repeat.

As for where I keep the cigars my humidor is now resting in the nice cool basement for the summer and keeps a stable 70% RH(well little lower). I got a 50 count box, and about 20 sticks in it all with cello on, I don't smoke anything without a month of sit time, and humidity device is rated for up to 50. Also I've shifted the sticks at least once since the cohiba's joined the box. I really doubt its the storage.

I just found it really strange to taste nothing at all even a absence of tobacco, and since I'm still learning and posted to make sure I wasn't being stupid. Thanks again for the advice.

Try a LFD Chisel and get back to me.

Doc.