• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How cool is too cool?

cigars&rum

"I changed my profile Rod"
Reaction score
I have an old wine cooler I am using "unplugged" in my finished basement to keep a constant RH% which seems to be working very well. However, my temps seem to be dropping close to 60 degrees. I can move it upstairs if I have to but would rather not. So I ask how cool is too cool?

C&R

I ask how cool is too cool?

I read that long term aging temps can be lower than the recommended 65-70 degrees.
I have a cooler that I keep during the summer in my unfinished basement, In the winter it gets into the 40-50* range down there. I move it upstair for the winter and it stays about 60 - 65 degrees. I have found that if the temperature gets too low the humidity is harder to maintain due to lack of evaporation due to temperature.
Just my 2 cents.

I've heard that storage temps cant get very low with no ill effects other than a possible slowing of the cigars development/agification/mojo...

But I have no experience or sources so...

This sounds like a good topic for Wilkey's "fact, fiction, fantasy" thread.

There isn't much data as far as I know. Anecdotally, 60F doesn't seem to be a problem. Humidity will be lower of course and you might run a slightly elevated risk of wrapper splits if the cigars are brought directly into a more humid environment.

Other than that, I can't think of a reason why it would be injurious. As has been mentioned, lowering temperatures and humidity (within reason) will, in all likelihood, slow down development.

Wilkey

Thanks guys...I think I am gonna play it safe and move it from the basement....

McK

There isn't much data as far as I know. Anecdotally, 60F doesn't seem to be a problem. Humidity will be lower of course and you might run a slightly elevated risk of wrapper splits if the cigars are brought directly into a more humid environment.

Other than that, I can't think of a reason why it would be injurious. As has been mentioned, lowering temperatures and humidity (within reason) will, in all likelihood, slow down development.

Wilkey

Oddly, the humidity has been steady at 70% for the past week. As posted earlier I will move the smokes upstairs...

McK

My temps haven't gone above 65 degrees in over a month and usually sit close to 60 degrees and subsequently my Rh is struggling to stay at 65%. The same happened last winter and all my cigars in the spring were great. I like my cigars at 65% humidity so I switch to 70% media in the winter to compensate for the low temp/dry air and the Rh usually stays somewhere near 65%.

It just drys them out faster and ruins the "mojo" or in better terms it slows the positive ageing affects. Other than that ive never heard of any other affect. Besides many here will say put cigars in the freezer for the first two days you own them. :cool:

Well I moved the wine cooler upstairs and the temp is now between 71 - 70 degrees with the humidity at still 70%. Thanks to all for you help and advice...

McK