• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How "Dead" are you?

The only remotely Dead related music that I ever enjoyed was the stuff Garcia did with David Grisman and Garcia's New Riders of the Purple Sage. I love "Dim Lights, Thick Smoke.

Dim lights, thick smoke, and loud, loud music
Is the only kind of life you'll ever understand
Dim lights, thick smoke and loud, loud music
You'll never make a wife to a home-loving man

A home and little children mean nothing to you
A house filled with love and a husband so true
You'd rather have a drink with the first guy you meet
And the only home you'll know is the club down the street

A drinking and dancing to a honky tonk band
Is the only kind of life you'll ever understand
Go out and have your fun, you think you've played it smart
I'm sorry for you and your honky tonk heart

Best Country song ever written, IMHO. I wonder what that makes me?

Doc.

The only remotely Dead related music that I ever enjoyed was the stuff Garcia did with David Grisman and Garcia's New Riders of the Purple Sage. .......
Doc.

Yes! They made some great music together!

I like "Arabia" quite a bit.

"St. Stephen" and "Sugar Magnolia" from their list. But really I'm an "Uncle John's Band" kind of guy.

Saw them in concert many times between that age of college and grown-up. Lot's of good memories with friends and family. The music was just part of the atmosphere.

I am a big fan.

Love 68, 73, 77, and the 80s each in their own right.

Sadly, I lost a binder of CDs with most of my bootlegs 2 years ago, but still have a lot I was able to get from friends/online on my iPods. I had some cool stuff though that I cannot seem to find now, because it was mislabeled and I don't really know what it was.

Also like the Garcia/Grisman stuff, JCB, Merl Saunders stuff, pretty much anything.

I've tried to convince the girlfriend that Jerry would be a great name for a son (LOL, I was only half joking too), but she hates it. I did, however, gain some ground tonight (coincidence you should post this), when discussing baby names with her sister in law who is pregnant with a boy, I suggested Jerry for some laughs, and the girlfriend actually had the idea of naming a girl that, which I think would be very cool (you might have to do the "i" ending though, or maybe an "ie").

Great times.

I may get pummeled for this, but I could never get into the Dead. Tried....just couldn't get there.

I'm so "Dead", the only ice cream allowed in my house is Cherry Garcia. Whadup? I'm so "dead" I tell Phil to leave his Friends at the door, but he is welsome to come in.

I may get pummeled for this, but I could never get into the Dead. Tried....just couldn't get there.

Well, y'know, back in the day there were bands like, oh, Pink Floyd and so forth, who tried to replicate the effects of certain *ahem!* psychoactive compounds on the human sensorium . . . and then there were bands like the Dead, who were actually good for listening to had one, in fact, ingested such materials . . . :whistling:

"Friend of the Devil" is my favorite Dead tune. Guess I'm not on his list.

~Boar

Well, y'know, back in the day there were bands like, oh, Pink Floyd and so forth, who tried to replicate the effects of certain *ahem!* psychoactive compounds on the human sensorium . . . and then there were bands like the Dead, who were actually good for listening to had one, in fact, ingested such materials . . . :whistling:
....yeah, crappy albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" were such a talentless ripoff.... :laugh:

I digress; I grew up in a town where the Dead were tremendously popular and I just wasn't there. My rock and roll beast just never found their wavelength, I guess.....

Sort of like smokes; "like what you listen to, listen to what you like...."

Party on, guys - B.B.S.

....yeah, crappy albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" were such a talentless ripoff.... :laugh:

???

Didn't make any disparagements of talent. Like Pink Floyd quite a bit, pre "The Wall" anyway.

I'm guessing you never made friends with Owsley. :cool:

Just sayin---some music reminds you of things, some is for experiencing them. Not that I would know either. :whistling:

~Boar

Where were you when you first heard the alarm clock? I can remember vividly where I was. :whistling:

Doc.

Not too.
I saw a few enjoyable shows in the early/mid '70s. I think JG was a great song writer and pedal steel player, was a huge influence on other great songwriters and bands in the '60s and he/they (the Dead) DID exhibit a few moments of sonic brilliance here and there...but way too few moments for their thousands of hours of playing together. Just hours and hours of noodling that usually went no where.
Peace, love and tie-dye! :thumbs:

???

Didn't make any disparagements of talent. Like Pink Floyd quite a bit, pre "The Wall" anyway.
No worries; comparing Floyd and the Dead are like comparing grapes and potatoes; both are good, but they are very different animals.

I'm guessing you never made friends with Owsley. :cool:
...you'd be guessing wrong. But, that was a looooong time ago. I've got to nurture and preserve the few sequentially firing brain cells I have left.... :laugh:

Cheers, guys - B.B.S.

Tilden, nice archive. I probably attended a few of those concerts!

US Blues, Not Fade Away, Friend of the Devil...
Too many to list.

Chemyst :cool:

I'm an Eyes> Scarlet>Fire Shakedown Peggy-O type of guy. Lately I'm only listening to Phish and Jerry Garcia Band. That 70's JGB with Donna really gets me. Before that I was on a really big early 80's Brent kick.