• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you keep track of it all?

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
I have the not distinct pleasure of receiving two bombs recently where the sticks were labeled with the date of acquisition, and other information. HB's pictures of his bomb package to the troops showed a bundle, still in the cello with a date written on the top.

As my inventory grows, I'm losing control of what I have. Finding a place and a method of storing valueable cigars is relatively easy compared to knowing what you have. How do you keep track?

I'm considering perforated plastic bags or even "toe tags" with pertinent info.

You know, there's something really morbid about using toe-tags.

Doc.

Devil Doc said:
You know, there's something really morbid about using toe-tags.

Doc.

Sorry, Doc - quite right. Consider that I'm using dog-tags instead. :blush:

The blank cigar bands are definetely the way to go. I use the individual baggies too, however I find it wreaks havoc with any efficiency in storage because there is so much more bag than cigar.

Also, see if you can get yourself one of those handy little ring gauge cards with a measuring side to it. That way if you forget, you can always pull up a list of a particular brand of cigar, then measure yours to compare and find the right sizing.

I've made an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my inventory. It's nothing too complex but it keeps track what each cigar is, how may of each cigar I have, and how long I've had it in my humi. I'm not at my house right now, but if anyone is interested I will be happy to put it up once I get back home tomorrow so others can us it. Just let me know.

Nick

My inventory is split up into different boxes...One box has premiums, one box has ISOM's one box have everdayers and the last box has ones sittng for age. I keep bundled cigars out on top of all this and i have a lil shelf for the accessories. I think i should maybe excel spreadsheet it though although im not sure if i have the time for that!

Gonz said:
The blank cigar bands are definetely the way to go. I use the individual baggies too, however I find it wreaks havoc with any efficiency in storage because there is so much more bag than cigar.

Also, see if you can get yourself one of those handy little ring gauge cards with a measuring side to it. That way if you forget, you can always pull up a list of a particular brand of cigar, then measure yours to compare and find the right sizing.
[snapback]291329[/snapback]​

I use blank cigar bands and a label maker to identify bandless singles/fivers, etc. Works great. :thumbs:

Razorback said:
I've made an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my inventory. It's nothing too complex but it keeps track what each cigar is, how may of each cigar I have, and how long I've had it in my humi. I'm not at my house right now, but if anyone is interested I will be happy to put it up once I get back home tomorrow so others can us it. Just let me know.

Nick
[snapback]291356[/snapback]​

I have also created an excel spreadsheet to keep track of inventory. Like Nick's, it is not too complex, but it helps me to keep track of what I have, how many, and any dates/box codes that I care about.

I created an Excel spreadsheet as well. It has three tabs:

Tab #1 - In Humi: Brand, vitola, wrapper, date received, received from (B&M, Cbid, poker winning, etc.)

Tab #2 - Smoked: I move the entries from the "In Humi" tab to this one and include the date smoked and any comments I may have.

Tab #3 - Sent out: I move entries from the "In Humi" tab to this one whenever I send out sticks. I include info on where I sent the stick(s) and why (Pass, PIF, Bomb, Poker Loss, etc.)

It was simple, but useful... until I got tired of making so many entries. I finally gave up on using it last year, but can send it out to whomever would like a copy. Just send me a PM.

It might be cool for someone (read that as "someone other than me") :whistling: to get a copy of each spreadsheet and put together "the best of the best". Just an idea.

I also use this software, a little better than building it myself. It's free!

Somwhat cumbersome but not too bad to load up.

stevehawk said:

Tab #1 - In Humi: Brand, vitola, wrapper, date received, received from (B&M, Cbid, poker winning, etc.)

Tab #2 - Smoked: I move the entries from the "In Humi" tab to this one and include the date smoked and any comments I may have.

Tab #3 - Sent out: I move entries from the "In Humi" tab to this one whenever I send out sticks. I include info on where I sent the stick(s) and why (Pass, PIF, Bomb, Poker Loss, etc.)

It was simple, but useful... until I got tired of making so many entries. I finally gave up on using it last year, but can send it out to whomever would like a copy. Just send me a PM.

It might be cool for someone (read that as "someone other than me") :whistling: to get a copy of each spreadsheet and put together "the best of the best". Just an idea.
[snapback]291428[/snapback]​

Thats a damn good idea.....im glad i joined this site...

stevehawk said:

[snapback]291428[/snapback]​

That sounds like a great set-up. I just created a simplified version of it with all info on one tab and as much as I find it useful it can still cumbersome to maintain. I wouldn't mind taking peek into yours though just to get an idea for some improvements. Thanks for sharing.

golfgar said:

[snapback]291504[/snapback]​

I have just checked the link up and couldn't resist downloading it. I will try it out and report back. Thanks for the tip.

golfgar said:

I went and got it, thanks. If I could get my hands on the source code, I'd make some additions. Its a good start, but only maintains about half of what I'm looking to do.

NullSmurf said:
golfgar said:

I went and got it, thanks. If I could get my hands on the source code, I'd make some additions. Its a good start, but only maintains about half of what I'm looking to do.
[snapback]291747[/snapback]​
I emailed the creator of this program about a year ago and asked about getting the source code.
I was politely told no… :(

Hey Cigar dawg,

Do you use the label writer to actually print on the labels, or do you affix the label on the blank band?

junkman_56 said:
I emailed the creator of this program about a year ago and asked about getting the source code.
I was politely told no… :(

Guess I'll just have to roll my own... :laugh:

I have been working with a fellow stationed in Afghanistan who developed an Excel Spreadsheet we calls Stogie Tracker. It is a fairly elaborate spreadsheet already. I have been working with LT Rich the author, attempting to use the built-in data on-line feature to auto-populate some of the fields. It is still a work in progress but I'm optimistic. That is my plan for the software side of keeping track of things.

However, more importantly to me was the ability to quickly label the individual cigars. I actually searched a bit in an attempt to find a solution to the labeling of my smokes - just this past week I starting utilizing a ½" & 1" round labels that I print on a Brother QL-500 Label printer.
HW_91404.GIF

I bought it for about $50 after rebate, a while back and it is an OK label printer. It can print 25 of labels for a box of cigars in about 8 seconds.

I still have the last bit of the process to put together as the label printing program will do a merge with Excel for selected fields so I will not have to dual enter information.

Kind of decided I'll use the small one for the sticks and the larger labels for the boxes.

Here is a ½" label on a Tatuaje Noellas band, the print is small but I can still read it.

label_cig_001.jpg

Here is a ½" one on a Leon Jimenes Rothschilds:

label_cig_002.jpg
label_cig_003.jpg
label_cig_003.jpg

And here are the larger 1" labels that I will probably just use on boxes going forward:

label_cig_004.jpg

I use herferbuddy (palm software). Take it right into the store humidor.
See it and other programs here: link

If there was a website where you could maintain your cigar spreadsheet online, would you use it?

I'm between web projects at the moment and have been considering doing something like this for my own use. But, if there was interest, I could open it up to the public.