• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you light your cigar?

See what I mean? Interesting ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ;)

Maybe I shouldn't have included the "about the original topic" qualifier. :sign:

Maybe you should refrain from posting backhanded jabs at the way things are done around here.

I love how somebody posts a basic noob question followed by somebody telling them to use the search feature followed by an interesting discussion on the original topic, which is pretty much the whole purpose of a message board.

Usually a newer guy chimes in with just what you said too. The thing is, after the 20th time you see the same discussion you will be a little jaded too. Thats why I usually just pretend we are talking about something else entirely and respond accordingly.

I also agree that after the last episode we can certainly empathize more with Jacob's nemesis. It seems fairly obvious why he is pissed off given the events that transpired, although it still isn't clear exactly where things are going regarding the island/candidates etc.
I wonder if the smoke monster uses matches.

See what I mean? Interesting ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ;)

Maybe I shouldn't have included the "about the original topic" qualifier. :sign:

Maybe you should refrain from posting backhanded jabs at the way things are done around here.

Oh, its not just the way things are done around here. I've noticed this trend on every single forum I've ever been on that covers a somewhat technical range of subjects. I shouldn't have commented in the first place but the ubiquity of the call to search followed by a continued discussion of the topic as though the call to search had never occured struck me as something to remark on. Though I'll admit, my approach was wrong. :thumbs:

I just use fire. :whistling:

I just use fire. :whistling:

Psh who uses fire...

I usually go for one of these :p
65291_9.jpg

May this newbie chime in... I have also in the pass have been hit by the USE THE SEARCH brick. First i will never try and buck the system here cause i know its the quickest way to have the hair on my butt burned off by flames from FOGs. But i do want to say that i think in my limited knowledge truly believe that just about ever subject that you could have on cigars have been spoken on it this great forum. I would reach further in saying if every person use the search for their questions there would be no post to read and laugh at. So i beg the FOGs in this forum to have more tolerance please. :sign:

Whats that smell?? Is that burning hair?? ???

May this newbie chime in... I have also in the pass have been hit by the USE THE SEARCH brick. First i will never try and buck the system here cause i know its the quickest way to have the hair on my butt burned off by flames from FOGs. But i do want to say that i think in my limited knowledge truly believe that just about ever subject that you could have on cigars have been spoken on it this great forum. I would reach further in saying if every person use the search for their questions there would be no post to read and laugh at. So i beg the FOGs in this forum to have more tolerance please. :sign:

Two things: 1) I don't think it's a zero sum game. There are bound to be repetitive topics/discussions and that is fine. There are many topics that are similar but just enough of a twist to make the new discussion interesting. But take this thread's topic as an example "How do you light your cigar", you really don't have to think very hard on whether it's been covered quite well before. I've been around a short while and have seen the topic "Best Inexpensive Smoke" so many times I have to take my socks off to count the number of times. So not every topic, though similar to past topics, warrants the "Search Brick". But certainly some do. 2) I think the older members show great tolerance. Like I said, in my short time I've seen quite a few repetitive topics, can you imagine the guys that have been around for 5, 6, 8 years? The vast majority of times I've seen people suggest the Search function it has been done in a civilized manner. Hell the guy with the keys to the place suggests it. When Jon suggested the Search route he first politely answered the question. I'm not sure how much more tolerant one could be. So I guess I would suggest repaying that tolerance with a little effort, it goes a long way.

Today is the first time I've checked into CPass in several months and this is the second thread I've entered. I saw the title of the thread and thought, "some newb's gonna be told to use "search"... Opened it up and sure enough...

BHawk, I love your "hit by the USE THE SEARCH brick" phrase. :thumbs:

Otherwise, it's like I never left.

Sorry, when I said I use fire I meant this.

fire.jpg

Flame on! :thumbs:

Today is the first time I've checked into CPass in several months and this is the second thread I've entered. I saw the title of the thread and thought, "some newb's gonna be told to use "search"... Opened it up and sure enough...

BHawk, I love your "hit by the USE THE SEARCH brick" phrase. :thumbs:

Otherwise, it's like I never left.

Haha, welcome back brotha!

Two things: 1) I don't think it's a zero sum game. There are bound to be repetitive topics/discussions and that is fine. There are many topics that are similar but just enough of a twist to make the new discussion interesting. But take this thread's topic as an example "How do you light your cigar", you really don't have to think very hard on whether it's been covered quite well before. I've been around a short while and have seen the topic "Best Inexpensive Smoke" so many times I have to take my socks off to count the number of times. So not every topic, though similar to past topics, warrants the "Search Brick". But certainly some do. 2) I think the older members show great tolerance. Like I said, in my short time I've seen quite a few repetitive topics, can you imagine the guys that have been around for 5, 6, 8 years? The vast majority of times I've seen people suggest the Search function it has been done in a civilized manner. Hell the guy with the keys to the place suggests it. When Jon suggested the Search route he first politely answered the question. I'm not sure how much more tolerant one could be. So I guess I would suggest repaying that tolerance with a little effort, it goes a long way.

Well i see your point on the repetitive post. But when i spoke on tolerance in the room i was referring to not letting the repetitive question aggravate you. It's just us babies trying to learn how to walk. So with that being said MoeCizlak step away from the brick :D :D :D

No comment on the FOG's vs newbs "use the search!" debate ;-)

I use a Ronson butane torch. ~$3 at walmart, IIRC. Looks nice, good hand feel, and works great. More expensive lighters are pretty, but I don't quite see the point (though I've never used one, so I could be missing out, I guess). I always start out by toasting the foot...to be honest, I'm not sure why, only that that's the way I was told to do it.

I saw a video on the "three match method" from (I think?) cigar afficianado magazine that looked neat but I've never personally tried it. He slowly rotated the cigar over the match flame until it was perfectly lit, before he cut it.

No comment on the FOG's vs newbs "use the search!" debate ;-)

I use a Ronson butane torch. ~$3 at walmart, IIRC. Looks nice, good hand feel, and works great. More expensive lighters are pretty, but I don't quite see the point (though I've never used one, so I could be missing out, I guess). I always start out by toasting the foot...to be honest, I'm not sure why, only that that's the way I was told to do it.

I saw a video on the "three match method" from (I think?) cigar afficianado magazine that looked neat but I've never personally tried it. He slowly rotated the cigar over the match flame until it was perfectly lit, before he cut it.

What a thread this has turned out to be :\ Sorry for not using the search bar more effectively, lol.

I just googled the "three match method" Gahdzila. That was an interesting little video. Thanks.

I was watching a movie a couple weeks ago and one of the characters was saying that you should never light a cigar with anything other than a wood match. Before I saw this movie, I had always thought the same thing because when I was young my grandfather did the same thing. He smoked about a pack of cigarettes a day and always used a lighter. But as soon as he pulled out a cigar, he would dig into his box of wood matches. Now, I am sure this is just preference. But I am curious if anybody else follows this "rule" or has this "quirk"?

Think the movie was Hellboy btw.

I will clarify this one. Hellboy used a Zippo lighter. The old bureaucrat that was in charge of the secret sector told him to never light a cigar with a zippo. Since it will affect the taste of the cigar and when Hellboy did it the old man's way, he agreed with the old man.

As for lighting a cigar, there is many methods. Back in the old days, it probably was better to use a match. Since the processing of fuel has improved over the years, butane lighters is the way to go now. IMHO of course. But if a cigar has a cedar lining, I use it to light my cigar once I have set flame to it. I've used cedar strips to light my pipes. I have my trusty Corona Old Boy that is a pipe lighter and I use to to light my cigars. I got one hell of a deal
on Ebay on a ST Dupont light that I had a authorized dealer to work on them fix it up. Only 2 lighters I use now and since I don't lose them, I never have to worry about them.

Back in my beginning days I did use matches and I still remember why I hate them so much. The damn wind. I had to use matches I took to Russia so I could light up my cigars. Oh how I hated it since it there was always a pretty good breeze. I was so happy when I was a place that sold lighters. :D