• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How Do You Light Your Cigars?

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
I have always been taught to light the cigar first, then draw and re-light with a Torch lighter. I have experienced above average results with this method. Anyone else suggest doing otherwise?

Hmmm, I use a lighter mostly but once in a while I use smoker's matches...
First I toast the foot, and rotate the cigar making sure the whole bottom is toasty.
Then I blow out whatever impurities are sitting on the bottom (instead of puffing, blow)
Then I start lighting, I hold the flame a little away from the foot, maybe about a 1/4 inch, and rotate the cigar while Slooooowly puffing.
I check to make sure the foot is lit, then enjoy.

If it ever goes out on me, I blow out the impurities and light up.

-Tony

Sometimes depending on the cigar and the situation I'll get more technical like Tony mentioned above...but normally the closest form of fire will do...I'm not picky...let the baby burn any way you can...LOL :)

Ya, that's true MPC.. I tend to be a cigar lighting snob :p

I just use plain old fire...tried ice once and the cigar just got soggy. :0

Torch that foot and sit back and enjoy. Prefer a torch first. But I have been known to get a quick light even from the gas cooktop in the kitchen :D

Any 'ol fire will do for me too. I have all types. Still carry my trusty Zippo.

As a sometimes potter engaging in the firing of woodfire kilns, I have been known to light a cigar right off the bricks of the kiln. 2500 degrees, cone 12, works fine too. This is an old ceramics tradition to light one's smoke from the kiln.

Haven't tried two rocks yet.

JerryG

I formerly used a disposable BIC lighter to light cigars. My method was to let the heat above the flame get a circle of fire started around the edge of the foot of the cigar - leaving the center basically untoasted. I felt that by lighting up the cigar in this manner it would not impart a burnt or nasty flavor to the cigar and would allow the subtlies of the cigar to exert themselves. This was especially important, in my opinion, because all of the cigars used to be so mild in flavor. The drawback of this method is that it takes a while and the BIC used to get too hot to hold comfortably. It is also impossible to do so outside if there is any breeze whatsoever.  It did, however, allow the true taste of the cigar to come through and did not impart the nasty burnt taste that I sometimes experience now with ultra hot butane lighters.

I am still of this opinion, although nowadays I just don't go to the trouble. Today I use a Promethus butane laser which makes quick work of lighting up. By the way, the Prometheus lighters are a real work of art...they are well made and work very nicely and there is no concerns over the butane contaminating the taste of the cigar. You can really char the heck out of the foot of a cigar though due to the extremely high heat of the flame - sometimes the first inch of the cigar can be harsh tasting. It's hard to light a cigar slowly with the intense heat of a laser lighter.

My only concession lately is that I STILL make a special effort to see that the foot of the cigar is lit uniformly -- so that it burns evenly.

There is a multitude of opinions as to the correct method and there are even websites that speak directly to the "correct" method of lighting up properly. The only "NO-NO" that I think that everyone pretty much agrees to is that a candle shouldn't be used because the wax can add an unnatural taste to the cigar. If YOU like to use a candle though...good for you. Zippos are also supposed to be bad for lighting up, but what the heck. If that's what I had available that's what I would use.

I've used an expiring cigar, a car cigar lighter, an electric burner on a stove, a burning stick from a campfire, an outdoor grill, etc. to light a cigar. I haven't used a magnifying glass and the sun yet, but there's still time. LMAO

In the long run...I agree with brother Matt...fire works pretty well! Happy Fathers Day.

Sam

All this talk of lighting one up has given me a craving. I'm going to my stash, selecting a smoke, and I'll be back in an hour. :D

I prefer matches..its a cleaner smell..no fluid aroma..but I have a really cool torch lighter I use in public!

I'll use a match, butane lighter or torch... usually a torch. I'll start by toasting the foot evenly... kinda like charring the bowl of tobacco for a pipe. Then, I fire the torch and keep it a little away from the cigar and start puffing and rotating. Works great for me!

Aloha,

Wade

I use Ohio Blue Tip strike Any Damm Where matches. Guess I'm a old-fashion guy. I bought two butane torches off cigar bid but the damm things I cant get to refill right. Any tips on that are appreciated.

Preferably I hold em' next to Dawn, seems to work good! :love:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

my head is spinning :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

<hey Lee, ya jealous?>

I have nothing to be jealous of...........why do you ask, my friend?? :lookup:

By now, you probably know that most of my knowledge about cigars, I have gained from the web. So, I have researched many a site about how the proper way to light a cigar is, and this is my compiled method from all of my sources.

Using a torch:
Slowly toast the foot, slowly rotating the cigar about 3 times until the foot begins to glow. I then bring the cigar up to the mouth and blow out once swiftly to get out the "impurities". I then puff a few times until I feel the foot is well lit. I then bring the foot around and gently blow on the ring until I feel it is evenly burning and a nice red ring has formed. I then again, blow once through it and start puffing away.

Using a match(actually several matches, almost a whole pack):
Strike one, strike two, strike three, strike four. Ah, fugheduboudit. Where is my Colibri?

Using a bic(or off brand):
I try the same method as using a torch, but usually end up burning my fingers! So, I send the kids to find my Colibri!

Using a match(part 2):
Sometimes, I find my long matches and am able to use these. The key word is sometimes.