• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you mantain your Farenheit temperature in your humidor?

I just got my digital hygrometer a couple days ago. After I calibrated it I put it in the humidor. Where it previously was it was 78F. I moved it to my room, which stays cold all the time. 

I checked it earlier today and it was 70F.

Hopefully that is cool enough. 

Howcome the walk in humidors are hot ? They feel like they are around 80F. Would that put the cigars at risk ? No clue what their humidity is, but it is humid and pretty warm when I walk into one. How come they aren't kept at a cooler temp ?

Turbolag said:
Howcome the walk in humidors are hot ? They feel like they are around 80F. Would that put the cigars at risk ? No clue what their humidity is, but it is humid and pretty warm when I walk into one. How come they aren't kept at a cooler temp ?

An air conditioner is a dehumidifier the best way to cool a space is to pull out the humidity first then the air will cool more evenly and if a shop that has a large walk in (which is normally over humidified anyway) that is air conditioned they would be sucking most of the moisture right out of the air that their humidifiers are putting in. The electronic wine coolers don't use refrigerant cooling so their dehumidifying value is much lower than an air conditioning system or a compressor cooling wine cooler. These wine coolers are great at keeping cool but being able to stay just above dew point. When you have large amounts of water vapor or humidity in the air your temps need to be slightly above dew point so that you don't condense all your humidity. Example: At sea level you are trying to maintain 70F with 70% humidity that puts your Dew point around 62-64F so when your 70F 70% air is going into an air conditioning system to be cooled off that air hits a refrigerant coil that is about 38F so you air temp drops rapidly below dew point allowing all that humidity to stick to the coil and the air now being blown back it the room is around 50F at 40-50% humidity removing all your humidity. 

Dew Point-The dew point is the temperature below which the water vapor in a volume of humid air at a given constant barometric pressure will condense into liquid water at the same rate at which it evaporates. Condensed water is called dewwhen it forms on a solid surface.

396px-Dewpoint-RH.svg.png

There are systems out there that would achieve a cool humid room for a walk in but its just not practical for a cigar humidor that has high product turnover due the the equipment cost and cost to run it. I work on stuff like this all the time for medical labs and pharmacies IMO the best way a shop owner to cool a room but also not pull the humidity way down would be to perilously oversize the air conditioning system. So if the need 4 tons of cooling put in 8 tons. This would short cycle the compressors not allowing them to have a nice long run time which is where they remove the most amount of humidity. However the electric bill would be high and this will shorten the life expectancy of the compressors. Most shops are air conditoned outside of the humidors with the hopes that the back and forth traffic in and out will keep it somewhat cool and temps will not be a problem.

Just my $0.02
Paul

Thabks man. That clears up a lot. I guess sense the cigars are sold quickly the temperature doesn't have to be ice cold.

I was just told the other day that too large of an air conditioner and your house will start having moisture standing.

Air conditioning is really interesting to me. Especicially how the air condition system works in a large building like a sky scraper etc.

Cooling towers, chillers, blowers on each level. Really a clever way to do it. Really fascinating to me.

Turbolag said:
Thabks man. That clears up a lot. I guess sense the cigars are sold quickly the temperature doesn't have to be ice cold.

I was just told the other day that too large of an air conditioner and your house will start having moisture standing.

Air conditioning is really interesting to me. Especicially how the air condition system works in a large building like a sky scraper etc.

Cooling towers, chillers, blowers on each level. Really a clever way to do it. Really fascinating to me.

Exactly why I am a Commercial HVAC Tech for for a living. The industry is always changing but the fundamentals are all the same it is a great field and there will always be work!

Tall Paul said:

Exactly why I am a Commercial HVAC Tech for for a living. The industry is always changing but the fundamentals are all the same it is a great field and there will always be work!

Sorry for getting off topic. That sounds like an awesome job. Do you work on big stuff in commercial buildings? 

Yes for the past 8 years but here in NH our large buildings are not tall but big in area. Schools, Hospitals, Medical facilities, and colleges are our key customers all over NE but mainly NH.

BlindedByScience said:

My humidor is regularly 70+ degrees. I have never had mold/beetle issues. I think humidity comes into play quite heavily. 

You can think about it all you want, but it's well documented that temps much over 70F will cause beetles to hatch.  Humidity has little to nothing to do with it.  Now, the truth is that the tobacco farmers and cigar manufacturers have gotten much better about controlling the pests, but if you allow your storage to regularly head above 70F, you'll find out, someday.  Hey, by all means, don't take my word for it.... :whistling:

This.

I had a coolidor for years, no problems. Till I had a problem.

Then, pretty much you have to toss them all out, and start over. Thankfully, at the time, it was mostly cheaper stuff.

Now I have had a wineador for years.

Since the moisture content of relative humidity is partially a function of temperature - works best for me at 65/65.

The wineador will run you several hundred and not be beautiful. 

However, if you smoke cigars that are $8 and up, doesn't take many cigars with beetles to make it a worthwhile investment.

If you decide to build one, go with the 28 bottle one. I did, and thought it would be overkill, now - it's full.

If you are going to get further into cigars, unless you live in a area where the ambient doesn't exceed 70, pretty much a necessity - unless you have some really cool spot in your house to keep a coolidor.

personal User said:

My humidor is regularly 70+ degrees. I have never had mold/beetle issues. I think humidity comes into play quite heavily. 

You can think about it all you want, but it's well documented that temps much over 70F will cause beetles to hatch.  Humidity has little to nothing to do with it.  Now, the truth is that the tobacco farmers and cigar manufacturers have gotten much better about controlling the pests, but if you allow your storage to regularly head above 70F, you'll find out, someday.  Hey, by all means, don't take my word for it.... :whistling:

This.

Then, pretty much you have to toss them all out, and start over. Thankfully, at the time, it was mostly cheaper stuff.

Since the moisture content of relative humidity is partially a function of temperature - works best for me at 65/65.

However, if you smoke cigars that are $8 and up, doesn't take many cigars with beetles to make it a worthwhile investment.

If you decide to build one, go with the 28 bottle one. I did, and thought it would be overkill, now - it's full.

If you are going to get further into cigars, unless you live in a area where the ambient doesn't exceed 70, pretty much a necessity - unless you have some really cool spot in your house to keep a coolidor.

Thank you for the information and your personal experiences.  I would suggest you go and read the rules of this community and adhere to them.  Make sure you post an introduction and try to fill out your profile.

I personally have a wineador, a cabinet that has a Cigar Oasis in it, a smaller cabinet that just uses KL and a desk top that uses KL.   I store all in my basement office and have no issues with temps.  If you don't have a cool place in your living quarters it is almost impossible to keep temps down in the summer.  If my humidors get over 70*, I freak out.

personal User said:

This.

Two good first posts and neither is an introduction! Please follow the rules here http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/forum/34-introduce-yourself-here/ Click that link and read the Bold black letters at the top and follow threw those rules that are linked there.

Tall Paul said:
Two good first posts and neither is an introduction! Please follow the rules here 
Sorry bout that. Several times, attempted to do that. Registered twice, and couldn't get access and posting privileges. Dunno, what the glitch was. So, each time I waited a day or so for posting to be enabled, kept trying to post an introduction but that didn't happen. Finally sent an email to admin and got posting privileges enabled. By that time, I had slept several times and forgot about it and was glad to just be able to post.

Do you know the saying "I've slept since then?"

One of my favorites, along with "my wife says I don't listen to her! At least, I think that's what she said."

Introductory post made now.

Kinda sorta not the first one I had in mind, but I think works reasonably well

Paul, I'll bring a tanker of glycol HTF for you at next year's QSH.  Ethylene or Propylene based, your choice.  You're welcome.

MoeCizlak said:
Paul, I'll bring a tanker of glycol HTF for you at next year's QSH.  Ethylene or Propylene based, your choice.  You're welcome.

As long as its pink that's my fav...  :D

kyanmyson said:
How do you mantain your Farenheit temperature in your humidor?

I only maintain Celsius temperature so I can't help  :p

But seriously, I think the most common solutions are basement, wineador, and a/c. I personally use the basement, it rarely gets over 72.

I have a couple cheap ideas I have used over the last few years. The first one is to buy a used mini-refrigerator from a graduation college student. Turn the thermostat to the warmest position and you are about right. They run very cheaply. You can buy one for around $50 if you watch classified ads.

The other option I tried recently was using a small portable air conditioner designed for an ice chest. I used it to add a little cooling to my storage cabinet, but you have to be careful to direct any condensation away from your case. I bought this little AC for $60 online. I only turn it on when the temperature starts climbing too high.

Neither of these methods is perfect, but they are inexpensive and get the job done.