• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How high will it go ?

I was whipping myself earlier to day looking at that I sent my limit this month on the first already of oct. :0

I want to see what a full box would go for...

I really don't understand. I used to care but now I look at is this way... If there are guys out there buying Opus for way over MSRP that means they are not getting them where I do and I'd like to keep it that way.

CBid and CI suck. CI gets in Opus and Anejos and puts them on CBid so they can gouge. :sign:

How can an auction site be considered a gouger? The bidders set the price.

You can get good deals there ... but it's the idiots bidding these auctions up into the stratosphere that really make me shake my head. :0

I would think an auction site is not gouging, but it is definetly a bit morally questionable. Especially since they know it will get at least double MSRP. I have used www.cigarauctioneer.com and people on that site seem a bit more level headed. I purchased three Padron 1926 40th anni's at 30 bucks a stick (yes that is 5 dollars more a stick then MSRP) but nowhere near the profit cbid is making on these singles.

Kro

tedski said:
How can an auction site be considered a gouger? The bidders set the price.

You can get good deals there ... but it's the idiots bidding these auctions up into the stratosphere that really make me shake my head. :0
[snapback]233299[/snapback]​

kro77 said:
I would think an auction site is not gouging, but it is definetly a bit morally questionable. Especially since they know it will get at least double MSRP. I have used www.cigarauctioneer.com and people on that site seem a bit more level headed. I purchased three Padron 1926 40th anni's at 30 bucks a stick (yes that is 5 dollars more a stick then MSRP) but nowhere near the profit cbid is making on these singles.

Kro
[snapback]233320[/snapback]​

CBid is owned by Cigars International. I am quite certain that CBid does not get Opus and Anejos sent to them by Fuente for auction. They are sent to CI (i.e. CI has the Fuente account). Then, instead of putting them on their site at close to MSRP, they put them on CBid because they know they will go for 2-3x MSRP. Frankly, I think that stinks. Hence, I do not buy from CI or CBid - I do not support gougers, no matter how they try to disguise it.

mrjinglesusa said:
...Fuente account...
[snapback]233324[/snapback]​

all tobacco shops have a "J.C. Newman" account to order from Fuente. And I thought no online shops carried opus, so I can't explain that one. I know with a Newman account, you can request what you get, but never just ordered. We had 6 boxes of short stories one time! :laugh:

but I back up Jingles on this one, CI is gouging threw CBid... I've ordered from CI once, and probably never will again.

mrjinglesusa said:
CBid is owned by Cigars International. I am quite certain that CBid does not get Opus and Anejos sent to them by Fuente for auction. They are sent to CI (i.e. CI has the Fuente account). Then, instead of putting them on their site at close to MSRP, they put them on CBid because they know they will go for 2-3x MSRP. Frankly, I think that stinks. Hence, I do not buy from CI or CBid - I do not support gougers, no matter how they try to disguise it.
[snapback]233324[/snapback]​
amen, words of widom here...

Business is business. Gouging is an unethical business practice which is precisely why I don't support it. But CI is not gouging. If they listed them for retail at a set price for 2x msrp that would be gouging. Simply attempting to increase their profit by allowing the consumers to run the price up is not gouging. It's SMART!

Just because it's Opus or Anejos does not change the fact that it is an AUCTION SITE! Auctions serve two purposes:

1. To get rid of product for some amount of $$$ that may otherwise not move.
2. To increase profits through the mistakes of naive bidders.

That is business. It is unreasonable for one to expect less from a business.

I don't agree that Cbid is gouging. I do agree that it is smart business to put these "most-wanted-sticks" up for auction. No one is making anyone bid on the cigars. Hell, if someone does not want to pay over MSRP, then don't bid over MSRP.

It is like an auction house selling fine antiques. Some things go below appraised value and some things go for well above. Auction houses even stack the deck by advertising and personally inviting those that "just might be looking for this particular piece" to ensure they have people in the audience that want the item(s). If they get several people in the room that want the same item slugging it out and driving the price up...that's not gouging, that's good business and a successful auction.

Same thing over at Cbid. Lots of people want the cigars and they are going to slug it out to see who gets it. Yes, Cbid will make a lot of money on the cigars, but no one made folks bid. Out of curiosity, did anyone get an email advertising this particular auction. I get one to four Cbid emails a week and I got nothing on it. If they really wanted action, they would have sent out emails I would think.

Just my 0.02. :)

I do not support any company which makes up for their low priced items by charging high shipping rates.

I once bought a cell phone accessory from a guy on ebay (some small company). He works out of his house (same place he ships from). He was literly 3 miles from my house. I bought this item at a buy it now price of 1 cent ($00.01) The cost of shipping was $14. Shipping should have been no more than $3 max. I told him I would come down and pick up the item, and he said no, all items must ship, even though we are 3 miles from one another. Cbid runs a shaddy outfit as well. If you choose to support such poor business ethics, go for it, however I will remain clear of cbid and those alike.

Just for kicks I put several 5 packs and a few boxes on my watch list at Cbid, and found that I could get most of them cheaper, particularly at JRs, for most of the medium to lower end smokes.
As for having poor business ethics, that is debatable. Many auction sites are set up to make their profits on shipping. Selling an item for a cent has become a way to grab peoples attention, it is up to the consumer to check shipping rates and factor these into the total purchase price. Do they take advantage of people sometimes? Yes, but the responsability is with the consumer to make a wise and informed decision. There is ample opportunity on the internet and other areas for consumers to research products and prices and make informed decisions, but too often we dont take the time and get ripped off. This Forum is a great opportunity to share information to help prevent that.
just my .02

I don't blame Cbid... I blame the idiots who are paying close to triple MSRP...

Yep....it's just like crack...there wouldn't be much demand if the crackheads weren't buying it... :laugh: