• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How long to wait before smoking cigars just in?

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
Got in a discussion the other day about cigars just in from "the other side". I have in the past, smoked cigars immediately after receiving them- sometimes that day- other times THAT MINUTE after opening the package.

Recently got some stuff in, and later than night (maybe the next day?) smoked one and I commented that it hadn't come around just yet- My buddy asked me when I got them in- I explained, and he said I smoked it too soon. And I should let them rest in a humidor for at least 2 weeks before attempting to smoke one.

I made the comment that I smoked another cigar from the same package (different brand however), and burned my fingers trying to suck the last precious bit of smoke from its innocent little leaves... He said those will get even better after they've rested a while.

Now I know the longer a good cigar sit's, the better it becomes- but does shipping them really throw them into shock? and they need a couple weeks to settle back down and be truly smokable??????

I used to freeze all my shipments for 2-3 days, then toss 'em in the fridge for 1-2 days, then room temp for 1/2 day or 1 day then into the humidor- but since I don't think my freezer truly gets cold enough, probably -5 or -10 degree's, whats the point.

Opinions ?

Waiting 2 weeks would be the right thing to do to ensure that they are stabilized but I know very few people with that kind of patience.

If course eventually when you get a package in you can celebrate it with a smoke that is just at its 2 week waiting period.

I have found young cigars do not taste right after transit. Neither to aged ones. Aged ones will be alot closer in flavor than the young ones do. I guess it has something to do with the wide temperature swings. I will smoke and aged one off the truck, but will almost always put the young ones to nap for a while.

Emo

Lumberg said:
Waiting 2 weeks would be the right thing to do to ensure that they are stabilized but I know very few people with that kind of patience.
:lookup: That wouldn't surprise me.
bandit.gif

Weeks are better than days, months are better than weeks, and years are better than months. MOST all cigars benifit from age if stored properly. I believe what your friend was talking about is not so much ageing the cigar as allowing it to stabilize after transit and I would concur with him on at least two weeks, more is better.

Before I start receiving post saying how someone smoked one right from the box the day they got it and it was fine....... its possible. Day in and day out smoking cigars directly after shipping will present more burn problems than one should want to deal with. Give your smokes time to rest and you will be rewarded.
wiggle.gif

A lot of retailers that actually 'ship' cigars for their main business, store their cigars a little wet, so that they are at optimal RH when they reach the customer (they try to prevent them from drying out in shipment). Also, this helps keep the cigar looking nice after all of the temp fluctuations that may occur in transit. Heat makes them expand, and cold makes them contract. Too much of this, with a relatively dry cigar, and the wrapper may crack. If it is a little too wet, it won't crack. When you get the smokes, some humidor time will help bring them to the optimal smoking RH.

i have had this problem as well. but i have stopped smoking them so soon. it is best to let them rest a week or 2. its well worth the wait.

i know mrbunddles (uncle mikey) ships his gas very wet! to the point where i put the cigars in a drybox for a week fist. then into the humidor for a few more. i would dream of smoking one the day i got them!

being a guy, i want to smoke it the second the wraper comes off. but, like with women and beer, its best to take your time! lmao

think in terms of years not weeks.
any smokes i get(regardless of box age)i put away for a year...after that i will seldom open the box before they are 2 or 3 years old.'abanos take patience and most of the complaints you hear are (i believe)due to youth.

derrek :)

:sign: I just don't have the patience for something like that... I'll bet most of us do not. Anyone else buy a box of smokes and not open them for at least 1 year+ ?

I knew a guy who had a box of cigars for 7 years, and he said he wouldn't smoke one of them until they reached 10 years old! WOW... I'd have a had time waiting 10 months, let alone 10 years.

I usually smoke one right a way just to verify the authenticity. I find that some vendors store their cigars better than others so it is a good idea to let cigars rest after a long trip. Just my $0.02 :)

Toaster said:
:sign: I just don't have the patience for something like that... I'll bet most of us do not. Anyone else buy a box of smokes and not open them for at least 1 year+ ?

I knew a guy who had a box of cigars for 7 years, and he said he wouldn't smoke one of them until they reached 10 years old! WOW... I'd have a had time waiting 10 months, let alone 10 years.
I have a few that have not been touched in a year or two. I also have a few that didn't have a chance from the moment they hit my door step! :p

toaster
perhaps i misslead you ...i do open the boxes and look for evidence of bugs and get rid of the extra paper ,quadrilingual message etc. i dont smoke from a box for at least a year after i get em.

derrek :)

dvickery,

I completely understood what you were saying... I would only assume you acutally "open" the box, but when I say "OPEN" I mean SAMPLE :)

When I know they're good- quoting JoeM, they don't stand a chance! :p

If I get a box of aged smokes, I generally go with a minimum of 2 weeks before I sample. I crack the box open to humidify or dehumidify to 64%.

Smokin' em too early after I get them, I tend to get overhumidified tobacco that doesn't draw well.

I recently got 2 packages in and sampled both of them within 1 day of getting them. I know I know shame on me, but they were both sooooo goood. I try so hard but sometimes I break down.

1st was an HDM Epicure #1. The #2's are one of my fav's so I had to see what this one was all about. It was a great smoke. I won't bust into them for a while

second was my half a Cohiba Seleccion Reserva box, I had a corona media, SAME DAY I RECIEVED IT. Killer smoke, I am sure I should have waited and will before I have anymore, but I just couldnt.

So wait as long as you can is my opinion, I envy you folks who can wait for 1 yr + before smoking them. I just can't be curious for that long.

Phil

Phil, didn't your mama ever tell you "curiosity killed the cat?"

Patience, grasshoppa. Good things come to those who wait. :)

vewyphishy said:
Phil, didn't your mama ever tell you "curiosity killed the cat?"

Patience, grasshoppa. Good things come to those who wait. :)
Hehehe,

That's why I usually get at least 1/2 a box........

One now........

one in two weeks...........

one when they are smoking good...........

and one to blow your HOUSE UP WITH!!!!!! :0 :0 :0

Phil said:
second was my half a Cohiba Seleccion Reserva box, I had a corona media, SAME DAY I RECIEVED IT. Killer smoke, I am sure I should have waited and will before I have anymore, but I just couldnt.
Those SR's are from Nov. 02 and do smoke great right out of the box. But that is a rare exception IME. I rarely smoke anything that hasn't had a few weeks to stabilize at 65%. Too many bad experiences. So if you can it would be wise to wait at least a few days after arrival.

lucasbuck said:
Phil said:
Those SR's are from Nov. 02 and do smoke great right out of the box. But that is a rare exception IME. I rarely smoke anything that hasn't had a few weeks to stabilize at 65%. Too many bad experiences. So if you can it would be wise to wait at least a few days after arrival.
I am waiting on the rest.

Somehow I knew you would find that post and yell at me for cheating !!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

The funny thing...........

the anejo is still resting :0 :0 :0

Damn, I am hopeless huh?

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

I have to say I'm amazed the Shark is still swimming, LOL!

But seriously, the SR's are ready to smoke. Plus they had a pretty short trip from my humi to yours ;)

I always smoke one "fresh off the truck". Then I put them away for a few weeks and let them settle down and stabilize!!!

:thumbs: :thumbs: