• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much aging are these likely to have?

dk_ace

I have been smoking a lot of different cigars the last few weeks trying to find what does it for me. My initial favorite, the HDM Excalibur no. 1, is still the favorite. Right behind it are the AF Don Carlos and Cuban Beli. Anyway, I have been avoiding the excalibur as I still feel that I need to keep experiencing different sticks. I have been blessed to have the chance to try a large variety of sticks due to the graciousness of several forumites.

Anyway, I haven't bought any more of the HDM's so that I could try other things and develop my tastes more. I have been tempted every trip to the B&M, but I've held strong. Until this weekend when my bro came down for a visit. They had put out a new box of the excaliburs and he picked up a couple. When we left, we notice that he had put out some that have been aging for a while we presume. They have the old style band (The brown one), and the celo is very yellow (I made a rhyme :D ). So how old are these likely to be? I don't know how long it takes to turn the celo yellow, or how long ago HDM changed the band style.

If these are aged notably, I think I will have to pick up a few tomorrow. The temp in the humi is on the cool side, and I generally see the hygro reading 70%, although I have seen it at 72% once.

Thanks,
D

No one has noticed how long it takes the cellophane to turn yellow?

Find out when they switched bands by sending an email to the manufacturer, they should be able to tell you.

Find out when they switched bands by sending an email to the manufacturer, they should be able to tell you.
Sound advice.

I don't reckon most folks pay much attention to how long it takes cello to darken. I can tell you that you can see visible yellow for sure after 6 years and it just becomes more pronounced over the next 60 years. I suppose that isn't much help though. Conditions do affect the rate of yellowing though. The warmer and wetter, the faster.

Wilkey

I couldn't find a website for them or I wouldn't have asked without asking them first. Today I read the wikipedia article on them and found out who the parent company was and went to their website. I have e-mailed them, so I will wait and see if they reply.

These are not slightly yellowish as if starting to age. They ARE yellow, so maybe they've been resting in the humi for a good long time. I was surprised to find them after my third visit to the store, because I had looked for them before. They were tucked away on the bottom shelf where I had never noticed them. I think they have been smoked more here lately after the store gave them away around father's day. I think I will swing by there tonight and pick up a few before they're gone. I need a few in the humi anyway for when I want a smoke that I already know that I like.

Thanks,
D

PS cigarworld.com is the parent company website in case you're wondering

Frankly, who cares how long they've been aged. You know that they're not fresh. If you really enjoy the cigars, I say buy them all!

......They were tucked away on the bottom shelf where I had never noticed them.

Unless your B&M is like the Outlaw (which seems to have everything!) I've found lots of little gems that were tucked away on the bottom shelf or stacked on the floor behind something else. Usually they are off brands or old packaging or whatever, but still a great score.

Can you post some pics?

Just a thought.....if the box was opened then the cello would yellow at a rate faster than a closed box. If the smokes at the bottom layer have yellow wrappers, I'd buy those. If the whole box has just been opened and has yellow wrappers then buy the box.

I had some Padrons that I just finished that had yellow wrappers from year 2000. So I know that wrappers 7 years old will show some yellow.

I hope the title of your post was a "question in general " because based upon your info, the cigar could be 1 or 60 years. Typically a darker cigar will turn the wrapper darker faster.

The fact is that yes the darker the yellow of the cello SOMETIMES indicates more age, I have cigars that are wrapped in cello that is from the early 90's that have barely turned yellow, and I have smokes that are only a few years old and the cello is very dark.

Edited to add... http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=520996

I hope the title of your post was a "question in general " because based upon your info, the cigar could be 1 or 60 years. Typically a darker cigar will turn the wrapper darker faster.

The fact is that yes the darker the yellow of the cello SOMETIMES indicates more age, I have cigars that are wrapped in cello that is from the early 90's that have barely turned yellow, and I have smokes that are only a few years old and the cello is very dark.

Edited to add... http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=520996

The question was really more of a general discussion question than anything. As for the edit, rest assured that I always do a pretty extensive search before I make a thread.

Unfortunately I won't be able to post pics because I went last night to buy a few just to find that they are all gone. Apparently someone else decided they were worth buying up. At least I know that they were probably aged for a pretty solid length of time. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open when I'm there and see if I can find any other gems laying around.

Thanks for all your help,
D

Don't count on yellow wrappers being the tell all of how old these are. I have cigars with very yellow wrappers that are only a year old. The cigars themselves and the storing conditions has a lot to do with it.

Don't count on yellow wrappers being the tell all of how old these are. I have cigars with very yellow wrappers that are only a year old. The cigars themselves and the storing conditions has a lot to do with it.

I notice you're in Texas as well. I wonder if the climate has something to do with it. I really don't think that these had been there that long. This store is only 2-3 years old as far as I know. I've picked up a few sticks to age, so I'll keep an eye on them and see if I notice anything with regards to yellowing cellophane and age.

D