• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much less 'should' one expect to pay for a car

That's some excellent business acumen right there Rich.

For used cars, I would look into private sales only. I think right now used-car sales are selling well at retail and auctions.

I'm curious to see if there will be any significant price reductions on new car sales on closing dealers? On one hand, they have inventory to sell, but on the other, they are losing the mfg incentives & promos which would offset the price.

Dealers will do everything in their power to sell their inventory before they shut their doors, even if they have to sell below cost. It's better for them to write off a small loss on a car they get out of inventory as opposed to a big loss on a car that sits in inventory.

The excess inventory that the closing dealers have, will be picked up by nearby dealers. I have committed to half of one dealers inventory on June 7th. Other dealers I know are helping others out with their inventory. By the way Jeeps are very hot right now, and getting very scarce. If a dealer calls me for one of my trucks., I'm getting a jeep back!

Rich

Rich, what is the logic behind picking up the extra inventory? I can't imagine that the majority of the Chrysler models are selling well enough right now to have excessive inventory on the lot. Unless you are getting the extra inventory way below invoice or you are picking up some hot models that you can actually move quickly, what's the reasoning?

Due to the situation of not knowing what was coming, dealers for the most part, ordered very light from the start of the year, or just cars they knew would sell well,(ie I only oredered Jeeps one month)so inventory was lower than usual. Since the bankruptcy will delay orders for atleast 8 to 16 weeks, you will need the extra inventory just to have something to sell. Even customer orders placed 4 weeks ago can not be delivered until the court case is done. We are actually doing very well and things are selling. But if you want a Chrysler product within the next 2 to 3 months the inventory will be slim.

Rich

MMR Averages
2007 Solstice GXP $16044 w/20115 m
2008 Solstice GXP $18591 w/7610 m
2006 Audi A4 $20456 w/ 33609 m

AUDI! I've got a 2002 3.0 Quattro Gary, I love it! All around much better car. Get a warranty though!

AUDI! I've got a 2002 3.0 Quattro Gary, I love it! All around much better car. Get a warranty though!

It come with an extend (6yr/100k)...so it's got 4 years 60k left.

BUT...they place has a 2007 2.0T black on black with 20k miles...for a little more! :D

:laugh: When I asked about the 'car hopping' she said: 'See, now you know how I feel!!' :sign:

Ok...so the Audi quattro is OUT.

(Which is what I hoped. :D)

She's keeping her car and getting a fun convertible!

I still can't talk her into a VETTE!!

It's back to a Solstice....OR...Saturn SKY.

We saw a NEW Sky all decked up with an auto tranny....nice red....for $34K..WTF...a SATURN!!!
<although I like those lines better that the pontiac>

So...it's off to google these two makes and see what's out there.

The good part is, keeping the subbie allows to change up on a convertible.
heck - she could look at the z3 or a friggin BUG!

more will be revealed! :laugh:

Tell her to go to the dealership the last day of the month, and start negotiating 2 hrs before they close. Seems to work. :)

Used cars are hot right now, so deals aren't that great unless you work over the salesman. If they're not willing to negotiate that much, go elsewhere. End of the month, late at night does indeed help. Good luck!

I recently got a hell of a detail on a certified pre-owned. But - I saw it was sitting on the lot for more than 90 days - so figured I'd hardball them. They caved.

Shartly after - the sales guy told me their sales had plummeted due to the ecomony. Literally - one day the lots were tons of cars rolling out the lot - the next day - they were selling 12 cars a month. New Volvo sales dropped 65%!

I'm told it depends on what you're looking for. In my case - I picked up a G35X. Apparently Inifiniti had been leasing the crap out of them 3-5 years ago. Many are coming back after lease and were being sucked up by dealerships because there was decent margins in 'em.

But the same sales guy recently told me they've been selling used cars 6 to 1 over new cars. Lots of theories why - but from converations he's had, he thinks most are purchasing used because they do not was to commit to a huge note at the present time.

Which leaves the '08's sitting on their lot. They were recently selling brand new '08 G37's for '08 used car prices. Buy a brand new car without taking the huge hit you normally do driving out of the lot.

It's really strange - I've seen dealers that are going crazy right now - and others that are starving. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it. But what others are saying is true - GM and Chrysler are really looking to dump their inventories. And with the factories being shut down, and production halting on a number of models - now is likely the time to pick up good deals. You're not likely to find as many great deals in another year to two...

So...she's now keeping here Subbie and looking at a 2006 350Z.

Here we go!!!!

I was told yesterday that Chevy dealers are making deals like crazy on their 09' inventory. This is just hearsay from my boss who talked to a dealer but incentives like no interest for 6 years. Said you can get them to take at least 7k off the sticker price. Not sure, but it may be looking into if your in the market.

SO....this is what she test drove on Saturday:

http://mitchellautogroup.vinmanagersites.c...aspx?ID=3568490

I offered a lot less due the the numerous issues with the paint(a lot of scratches/nicks).

The dealer called me back and talked about 'putting money into fixing that stuff once they had a commitment'.

I almost laughed out loud.

I told him we want to get out hte door for $20K....he also said he had 'ho-sailors offering $20K for it' and they have around $21K into it.

He then told me he went online and looked at 'comps'...and said retail pricing was right...I told him the CLEAN retail pricing maybe...but the car wouldn't be a clean trade in!!!!!!

He's gonna get back to me on what they can do with the scratches...at this point...I'd pay more for a newer car.

Oh yea...he also said...'they have to make some money on it.' I agreed and told him I didn't knwo what they paid..but on a trade-in...well...it woudln't have been at 'clean value.'

Oh oh..it had a Nismo cold air intake and Nismo Mats...and the rear badging is not on.(WHere the Nismo badge was...well, it appears ripped off and the paints gone.)

Hmmm...the search continues.

A nismo CAI isn't much, but drivers vary. It could be a small hint that the car was raced, so be approach with caution.

A nismo CAI isn't much, but drivers vary. It could be a small hint that the car was raced, so be approach with caution.

Yea...it's around $300ish for the CAI and mats.

I mentioned the 'raced' part to her...she was like...'cool'! :laugh:

Buy her THIS and a one year supply of gas and spend the rest on cigars :thumbs:

She called me just now, from a dealer, and said...'I want it!'....dunno if it's the car or...well, prolly the car!!!

Baby gets what baby wants!

2005 350z Roadster

Grey with black interior and Navi.

Just turned 30K when we pulled up to the dealership.

Paid a few hundred more than what I wanted...but that was on others that didn't have Navi.

Thanks for the help!