• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much of your cigar do you smoke?

highdudgeon

Hi,

I found this site whilst looking for hints on humidor maintenance. Quite a lot a here.

One post in this forum, which I have now lost track of (I read it one week ago) mentioned tossing some cigars after they started tunneling. The poster talked about smoking, as I recall, a corona in half an hour or forty minutes and most responders stated that perhaps he was smoking too quickly and that it took them considerably longer.

This reminded me of a Gordon Mott video on the Cigar Aficionado Web site. Mott states flatly that he smokes one half to one third of a cigar and then chucks it. Why? Because I do the same. Amongst my cigar-smoking friends I am a bit unusual for that. Still, it's true, and de gustibus non est disputandum. Great example: I have a box each of the Oliva V belicosos and torpedoes. I loved the belicoso -- love it! The first half was a real joy. Then, a bit after the middle, it started to become more ordinary and not nearly as flavorful. I put it town before the 1/3 line. And, I've done that four times now. Thinking about it, there are a few cigars that I have or do smoke to 1/4 (and never past that) but, mostly, they get the 1/2-1/3 treatment. That's just how I smoke, I've been smoking for twenty years, and so please don't try to convince me of what I'm missing or doing wrong. Again, there's not point in arguing about taste. One result of this, getting back to the point, is that I do, fact, smoke faster, although I rarely take more than 3 puffs a minute and it's usually around 1 or 2.

So, I'm wondering, are there other slightly finicky or impatient smokers out there? I'm just wondering how odd, or not, this is. I've been around so many people who smoke their cigars down to the nub...but I've personally rarely found pleasure in that. (exceptional: montecristo #2 -- always down to 1/4 or so).

That's about it, just a thought for the day.

PS, I *do* that he was smoking on on the fast side, assuming he was smoking more of the cigar than I would smoke!

Depends on the cigar.

Two weeks ago I chucked a Churchill in 5 minutes because it was so badly plugged.

If the smoke is good, I'll go right down to the nub until it burns my lips. Sometimes the smoke is great and then loses it with 1/4 to go. So, I have no rule.
I have never chucked a cigar half or third of the way for no apparent reason.

Brian

usually close to the band, if it's good, and sometimes nubbed. As a rule of thumb, the last 1/4 i don't care for, it gets bitter / ashy tasting. I chunked a Dav. Mille. blend last night about slightly over 1/2, i judt didn't enjoy it, and when sitting around w/ 4 friends, didn't wanna waste the experience on a cigar i didn't enjoy

That's one of the things I'm specifically thinking about. When I first started smoking, I didn't really know what I was doing and I tried to smoke them all the way down. The results were often unpleasant.

Basically, it's about learning your tastes and proclivities. Me, I'm very sensitive to bitterness. If it is bitter, I don't want it, whether it is early on (I'll always give it a chance) or toward the end.

I guess I wasn't clear. It's not that my "usuals" are arbitrary -- it's just want comes naturally. To me.

Interesting how many different ways there are to enjoy a cigar. Even when it comes to drink. I'm a water, single-malt, or armagnac man (don't care for cognac; love the earthy cousin). I read (in CA) about some insane collector who smokes super-rare and expensive cigars -- and all cigars -- only with Coca-Cola.

Personal preference is everything.

It just depends on the cigar. If its a decent tasting cigar then about 3/4's of it. If its crap anywhere from 1/4" or till I can't stand any more. If it is an exceptional cigar, then I use something to hold on to it with and don't stop till my lips can't handle anymore.
B

I never give up! I smoke every cigar to the band, though usually beyond. What about sticks that start off not so hot, then end well? If I had chucked the bottom half of the Boli I was smoking last night (a little bitter and tight on the top half), I never would've gotten to what turned out to be a pretty nice smoke.

Like the previous posters, preference plays an important decision. Just because a cigar is expensive doesn't mean that it needs to be nubbed, hopefuly just enjoyed for time period x. I will also add that since I smoke outdoors, temperature, present company and ambiance (I have outdoor speakers) certainly play a role as well.

Bob

Company, or lack thereof, makes a difference! It took a while to get over the "it's expensive so I need to finish it" mentality. I have no remorse in chucking expensive cigars and take great pleasure in some less expensive ones. I guess that, the thing for me, is the first hint of bitterness (and heat, really) means it's time to lay it down and pour another drink. Or...light another smoke! (I'm serious. I've had a habit, developed over the last year, of keeping something small handy 'just in case' -- usually a Tatuaje Angeles, Monte #4 or #5, on Cohib. Secretos. Does it count as a whole cigar if I smoke half a Churchill and then 3/4 of a mareva or whatever?! ;)

Like the previous posters, preference plays an important decision. Just because a cigar is expensive doesn't mean that it needs to be nubbed, hopefuly just enjoyed for time period x. I will also add that since I smoke outdoors, temperature, present company and ambiance (I have outdoor speakers) certainly play a role as well.

Bob

I've had cigars that were so good, I finished them using a hemostat. :laugh:

According to Zino Davidoff, a gentleman only smokes one half of his cigar. Ya bunch of Philistines!

Doc.

I have no such rules, each cigar is different and to be smoked accordingly.

As for Zino, he had the luxury we do not an endless supply of cigars :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I believe the cigar tells you when to stop Ie unpleasent taste to hot each cigar is diffrent.

I get kind of bored so I usually smoke it to the band and then put it out. Sometimes I have to give up early if the cigar is really strong. On the other hand, I once smoked a '98 PSD4 and I nearly ate the nub.

When I first started smoking, I definitely felt the same way you did. The flavors in a cigar definitely change as you smoke them down. I found as the cigar smoked down, the flavor changed, cigar heated up, etc. I did not enjoy the later at first.

After time, I began smoking further into the cigars and started enjoying some of the changes in taste. I still enjoy the first quarter (after a few pulls to get it going) the most, but the nubbers are really just as enjoyable.

The cigar tells me when it's done. Some go to the nub, some go about half way......depends.

Cheers - B.B.S.

I never give up! I smoke every cigar to the band, though usually beyond. What about sticks that start off not so hot, then end well? If I had chucked the bottom half of the Boli I was smoking last night (a little bitter and tight on the top half), I never would've gotten to what turned out to be a pretty nice smoke.

Beyond the band you say??? :sign:

I usually smoke down to at least the band, but it depends on the smoke. If its a nice cigar, I will try my best in taking my time with it, and keeping it lit (which generally I've found it to be easy with a better cigar). If its not a good cigar or I just don't particular like it, I may chuck it early. (Those times are usually if i'm visiting friends at a bowling alley and they are handing me a backwoods or a flavored cigar of some sort)

Boils down to personal preference. I like to take my time and enjoy a 'good' cigar.

LOL @ DOC.

I generally smoke it to the band, and if it's a REALLY EXCELLENT one, then until there's about 1/2 inch left... Lot of purging at that stage though...

I am a die hard 2nd half of the stick smoker, imho opinion I have yet to have a cigar (granted it was not already bad to begin with then all bets are off) that did not improve as it went along from the 1/3 to the 2/3+ mark. Additionally , again on mans opinion, do I ever seem to enjoy any cigar for the first inch or so ( not to say I hate them either just waiting for the flavors to open at that point). I have tried every conceviable variation on lighting,cutting, not cutting, cedar strips, quintuple refined, toasting, torching...etc Always the same story to me.