• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How things change in 6 months

sibernation

Hey folks, Is it me or has CP taken some drastic changes in the last six months or so? I am probably out of place ,and apolagize if this offends anyone but im really courios. Has this place turned to political banter, and mooching of cheap cigars. He*& Im probably all screwed up and maybe a bit of a tradionalist but it sure feels different. :( Oh well time will work things out. :thumbs:

sibernation said:
Hey folks, Is it me or has CP taken some drastic changes in the last six months or so? I am probably out of place ,and apolagize if this offends anyone but im really courios. Has this place turned to political banter, and mooching of cheap cigars. He*& Im probably all screwed up and maybe a bit of a tradionalist but it sure feels different. :( Oh well time will work things out. :thumbs:
The political banter was possibly amplified by a partly misguided post by myself...

but I got it out of my system, and I think LD did too... plus we had fun!

I hope the mooching part is not true... I am here mostly to talk about cigars, and do some equal trading.

I love this community
It's diverse, lot's of intelligence, and just enjoyable to interact with.

I really hope the political speak hasn't detracted from the community, I really hadn't planned on getting involved, but I just couldn't resist. :0 :sign:

boeman said:
I really hope the political speak hasn't detracted from the community,
IMO - it has taken away from the overall experience.

sorry everyone. i could tell it was coming on for awhile.
little flare ups here and there. so i decided i would start
a full on thread so everyone could vent and get back to
being cigar buds. do ya still luv me stevo? ???

IMO it's added to the experience because we get people engaged in conversations that can lead to who knows what. For instance, in my back-and-forth with Boe, I learned about a great product line of car finish products for my show car. If Boe and I had not gotten involved with a thread about politics, I would never have learned this.

Yes, the primary reason for the site is getting involved in Cigar Passes BUT we do need to post about things other than cigars in order to introduce ourselves to one another. This can lead to things like "Oh, I didn't know you were into home brewing, cool so am I!" or finding someone else out there in cyberspace who roots for your favorite college football team. Once you find that you have common interests with other members, it keeps you wanting to stay involved with this great group of people that much more.

I think that if we were to discourage discussion of people's other interests, we'd see a decline in interest in this site.

Sorry SD, but as bass fishing is to some and home brewing is to others and college football is to yet others here, politics is a big part of my life and discussion along those lines interests me and keeps me here.

I hope you'd think that my position does indeed add to the experience here rather than take away.

BTW, how's the rain down in hurricane land?

sibernation said:
Yeah, but that's life. Things do change unfortunately. I commented to a friend in PM a couple weeks ago that this site was starting to get touchy - and that was before the political talk :sign:

Anyway as I have said before I go to other boards for that (with the exception of the one thread I participated in here and this site is where I like to just "hang out" with my friends (which btw is most everyone here LOL).

I think things will calm back down soon, if everyone has their political banter out. And if not again I would invite those interested to CF, where a half dozen political topics at a time is going on with heavy debate. ;)

Sam

Oh, I do want to point out one major thing that has evolved here in the last 6 months.

PARTICIPATION

WOW!!!!!! Lots of new threads, lots of posting, lots of trading, lots of bombs going off, several passes, 3 buying clubs, etc. So in terms of people actually participating in or around the interests of this site, it has never (well to my knowledge) been more active than it has been in the last 6 months and it seems to increase almost daily.

Growth is a wonderful thing - painful sometimes, but still a wonderful thing :thumbs: and I for one am enjoying the influx of this new participation.

Sam

this site was starting to get touchy

Touchy Feely maybe :sign: :D

I think things will calm back down soon, if everyone has their political banter out. And if not again I would invite those interested to CF, where a half dozen political topics at a time is going on with heavy debate. ;)

We're done (for now)... next major political thing that happens, we'll start again.

Next one is on current events though! It took way too long for me to go through my archived articles (I had to bust through a lot of CD's) for another debate like that one.

SD_Stack said:
IMO - it has taken away from the overall experience.
I agree.

There are other boards that will welcome those threads with open arms. We all get along much better here if we keep it to cigars. :thumbs:

I find it very strange that the RULES of the Lobby are:

Come on in and talk about ANYTHING. Are you new to CP? This is a great place to introduce yourself to the group...

and yet many people keep saying:

keep it to cigars

Maybe some of you Cigar Purests who have no other interests in life might be a bit uncomfortable talking Politics, and that is fine, you can avoid the threads that are political.

But to try and unilaterally change the rules of the room is just wrong. ???

No offense intended but I am a lottle disheartened by this issue :(

gotta love that bro of mine. he's always got
my back! (unless he's the one yelling at me :D )
don't worry, bro. i got this! :thumbs:

BTW, did anybody notice that I now have 7 blocks and am listed as a Super Member?

I wonder if that means you have to listen to me now, Hmmmmm :p

"Cary on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done"

Personally, I find it to be a distraction at CP and hope Rod keeps it on a short leash.

PuroBrat said:
BTW, did anybody notice that I now have 7 blocks and am listed as a Super Member?

I wonder if that means you have to listen to me now, Hmmmmm :p

"Cary on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done"
No, it means you post on every topic whether you need to or not.

It's not just here but happening everywhere lately.

On a lifestyle discussion board that rarely ever talks about politics unless it relates to us has started in on the banter.

On a RPG forumn website for D&D that I cruise in sometimes, have started the debate.

On CF the debate has increased three-fold (but I have to admit I like debating over there LOL)

On CW, political threads are starting to show up.

Here they are showing up.

So it's a universal thing. On ALL of these occassions it has been as a result of

1) Someone says something that sounds repbulican - in support of the troops, or rememberance of 9-11.

2) Someone gets their underwear in a knot and flames the first poster and declares how their way is the right wat.

3) Everyone else gets pissed at poster number 2 and piles on.

4) More people form the left pile on.

Pretty standard. *shrugs*

Sam

Matt R said:
No, it means you post on every topic whether you need to or not.
Was that something that you needed to post Matt? ???

If it was then I respect your oppinion, tho I dissagree :D

You could at least have inserted just ONE emoticon so I could see you were not just being hatefull to me ???

PB, it was just a fact. You have more blocks in your info area because you have more posts. Not trying to be hateful at all. As far as if it was something I needed to post, you asked a question I answered.

Actually, it was not really Factual.

You see, you stated:
every topic

and I actually do not post on EVERY topic. There are many topics/threads/rooms on this BB that I have never posted on. :D