• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to ccok venison

thinde

Lobstah; the other white meat!
I gifted a youngster on the job site a fiver of Gurka Legend’s for his bothers stag last week and now I find myself with a venison roast, loin and some ground meat.

Not being a hunter or having any friends that hunt, I have never tried venison. The kid tells me to cook it like any other meat, just don’t overcook it. No problem there, I like my steak still kicking…..

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

The slower you cook it the better it tastes.If you don't like the gamy taste associated with most wild meat soak it in white vinegar over night.This draws the blood out of the meat & tenderizes it.

Venison is very lean. You could actually starve to death if it's all you had to eat. Around here, the Woodchucks sauté it in a ton of butter in a cast iron skillet. Try not to over cook it.

Doc.

The burger can make some good hamburgers if mixed with the proper amounts of beef fat.

Otherwise, if you want to play the safe route, cook it in your favorite Chili or spaghetti recipe.

If I understand you correctly, and you have backstrap loin, here's two of my favorites.

For both: clean up any membrane and trim until you have just "clean" meat.

1: Take the meat and cut into about one inch or a little thicker chunks.
2:Liberally season the meat with Montreal (or the like) Steak Seasoning and black pepper.
3:Take slices of bacon, cut them in half. Then lay them out to form an "X" pattern. Lay the Venison on top and wrap the bacon, using a tooth pick to hold it in place.

4:Bake on a foil lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes or, until desired doneness. Pull out after fifteen minutes to baste with bacon drippings. I like mine with just a touch of red inside.

5:I also turn the broiler on the last few minutes to brown and crisp the bacon as I don't like it rubbery. Watch it closely though, it's easy to burn bacon with the broiler if you walk away.

The other favorite is to marinate in A-1 sauce, black pepper, and Garlic Powder all day long after cutting into one inch thick steaks.
Cook it on the grill to desired doneness

Great, I'll give it a try both ways...Thanks men :) ...Tom

Outstanding jfields....thank you.

Ok here goes, This is my secret recipe for deer steak simmered in gravy.

Saute onions and green peppers in buter until tender, remove from pan. Season deer steak (as you would beef steak) dust lightly with flour, add oil to pan that you sauted onions and peppers. Pan fry steak just until flour is crispy, remove from pan. Now you can either make your own gravy from drippings in pan,or you can use store bought gravy. Add deer steak, onions, and peppers to gravy. Cover and simmer at low heat for 30-45 mins. ENJOY!!!!!! Did I say ENJOY?? This is melt in your mouth tender.

Tom,

Without getting to crazy in preparation, here's what we do. If you take the loin roast and slice it to a pepper steak thickness (1/2"-3/4"), you can then marinate them in rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, and some teriyaki sauce. Ratios depend on what you like, less oil than the other ingredients and you can eliminate the teriyaki if you want. I like all 4...with twice as much rice wine vinegar than the other ingredients.

Put the meat and marinade in a zip lock baggie, put in the fridge for about an hour or two....turning the bag around and massaging them occasionally. Remove from the fridge and let them sit at room temp for another half an hour or so. Then take them out of the baggie, discard the marinade, and put on a HOT, oil coated BBQ grill and cook to rare to medium rare....a minute to a minute and a half each side...depending on the thickness. When done, just add a little cracked pepper to one side...NO SALT!

A little grilled asparagus, some baked potatoes made on the grill, the melt-in-your-mouth venison steaks....Very tasty :thumbs:

You guys shot Bambi?

funny-pictures-bad-news-for-bambi.jpg

nope... was Bambi's mom....

a nice way of getting some of the game taste out is to soak the meat in buttermilk for a few days. Soak it already cut to the size you plan to cook.

My favorite way to cook backstrap is to pound the hell out of it with a meat hammer and then country fry with cream gravy. MArinating and wrapping with bacon is also very good. If the venison is from an older animal cooking a hind quarter or shoulder usually ends up with a fairly tough and gamey result unless you cook slowly and marinade.

Smoked sausage and pan breakfast sausage is also very tasty.

Enjoying wild game anything other than medium well is risky, but I eat mine a shade under medium. Remember that they are not treated with antibiotics or other medications so they will have parasites. Be sure to cook to 160 degrees at a minimum if you want to be certain that it'll be safe. If I'm feeding children I cook medium well for them as its not worth getting your kid sick over.

If you soak the meat before packaging it in iced salt water over night the blood will leach out. Then cut the membrane before making burger, etc.

I like to pound the steaks out to super thin and batter and pan fry them. Put in a sandwich. Breaded tenderloins. Its an Indiana thing.

Wife takes the roast and covers in olive oil and sprinkles garlic powder on it. Add some carrots, potatoes, quartered onions, cover w/ water and slow cook in a crock pot, roaster, or oven.

Backstrap is typically cooked this way in my house:

Slice it into thin medalions. In a hot frying pan (cast iron is best IMO) melt some butter add some worchestershire, chopped garlic, chopped onion. saute onion and garlic and then add the venison. don't over cook it or it gets tough. you want it medium to medium rare.

For a change of pace to the above add some red wine to the pan when you saute the onion and garlic.

The taste and texture of venison is decided in how it was butchered and if it was aged. I do my own butchering and I hang/age the meat between 34 and 40 degrees for as long as possible (three-four weeks). It breaks down the enzymes and tissue which make it gamy and tough (same as any other meat). The best venison I have ever eaten was from one year when I was caught out of town and the meat started to rot and turn black, I shaved the black part off (clean the knife frequently) and the remainder was incredible!

As far as how to cook it:

Loin = Marinate it and cook it hot and fast like any other steak.

Roast = I keep it whole and inject it with marinade and then add some marinade to the ziplok bag and let it go for a few days in the fridge. Slow cook the roast on a grill with a few guys while smoking cigars! Cook one side of the roast for 10 minutes and then flip it over and shave bite sized pieces about a 1/2 inch thick (just deep enough to get some charred and some rare) with a fillet knife and hand them out. Once that side is all shaved off, flip and repeat. It's one hell of a crowd pleaser!

The taste and texture of venison is decided in how it was butchered and if it was aged.

Yep! Take the time to cut the membrane off the meat using a fillet knife. Takes the gamey taste right out. When you get down to the end of the legs, ribs, etc don't be afraid to throw the sections with intense membrane away. It takes too much time to filet those tiny sections out and throwing it in the ground meat taints the taste.

First doe of this year took us about 30 minutes to debone and maybe 2 hours to cut and package.

Last weekend I used MrMaduro’s recipe with a couple small deviations. I added some crushed garlic to the onions and peppers, also some dry red wine and a little gravy master to the sauce. Severed it with mashed potatoes. I was impressed at how tender the meat was but my son (14) was the only one that asked for seconds. Of course at his age he’s constantly grazing on something. The wife and I were not too keen on the flavor. I have not made a decision on what, but the next loin is going to be marinated in something.

Thanks goes to everyone for their ideas.

Tom

Last weekend I used MrMaduro’s recipe with a couple small deviations. I added some crushed garlic to the onions and peppers, also some dry red wine and a little gravy master to the sauce. Severed it with mashed potatoes. I was impressed at how tender the meat was but my son (14) was the only one that asked for seconds. Of course at his age he’s constantly grazing on something. The wife and I were not too keen on the flavor. I have not made a decision on what, but the next loin is going to be marinated in something.

Thanks goes to everyone for their ideas.

Tom

I marinate with whatever is in the fridge but Italian dressing and Worcestershire sauce together come out nice. Marinate for a couple days and rub daily.