• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to clean a pipe?

centurycigar

Rare Stamp & Coin Dealer
Hey Guys,

How do you properly clean a pipe?
How often should you clean them?

Thanks

E

Hey Guys,

Thanks

E

Depends on what type of cleaning you want to do. Generally after you smoke a bowl, let the pipe cool down. You then can take the stem out and run a pipe cleaner through it. Also a pipe cleaner in the bowl and the hole where the stem goes into the pipe and bowl.

If the stem is really bad I run some water down it and then run several pipe cleaners through it. I generally let the bowl cool down and wait till I want to smoke it again to clean it out.

Hey Guys,

Thanks

E

Depends on what type of cleaning you want to do. Generally after you smoke a bowl, let the pipe cool down. You then can take the stem out and run a pipe cleaner through it. Also a pipe cleaner in the bowl and the hole where the stem goes into the pipe and bowl.

If the stem is really bad I run some water down it and then run several pipe cleaners through it. I generally let the bowl cool down and wait till I want to smoke it again to clean it out.

Thanks for the advice....

Im looking for tips on general maintenence of my pipes.
Are there any good websites that have a step-by-step process?

The link covers it fairly well except for one thing I do. Before reinserting the stem I rub a bit of bee's wax on it to help ease insertion. I run a cleaner through the stem into the bowl right after each smoke. Every 10 pipefulls I wait till it's cool and do the full clean with the alchol. Perhaps a personal preference, but I use a shank brush instead of a bristle cleaner.

Alcohol and cotton balls every other week or so, alcohol soaked cleaner through the stem into the bowl after each smoke (or at the end of the day). The next day, I pull out the cleaner, fold it in half, take the stem off, and clean the inside of the shank and clean off the tenon (there's usually some residual gunk on the face of it). I've only need to use a shank brush a couple times since I started, but that was before I started more regular cleaning.