• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to cut a torpedo?

roboref

Where do you make the cut on a torpedo cigar? I have been working on regular ones to get a cut that opens about 75 to 80 % of the available area. Do I use this same rule of thumb on torpedos?

That prob. sounds about right.
I mean, it dep. on how long the head is pointed,
Opus xXx have shorter ones,
while Montie #2's are longer.

I guess you have to go w/ what works for you. ~75% sounds about right.

I think I read somewhere on CW about cutting torpedos at an angle. That way, you get the most area for a minimal cut. I sucked in geometry, but this seems like it would make sense.

I just lop the end off with a guillotine cutter so as to leave about 3/8" of area on a 50+ ring size torpedo (like a Monte #2)

vewyphishy said:
I think I read somewhere on CW about cutting torpedos at an angle. That way, you get the most area for a minimal cut. I sucked in geometry, but this seems like it would make sense.
I have heard the same thing about the reg. shapes.

I've tried the "dick" cut a few times since I smoke a lot of torps. I have to say I'm not a big fan. From now on I'll only use it if the draw is poor. I think part of why I like torps so much is because of the smaller drawing surface.

I use some variation on the dick cut everytiem I smoke a cigari with a pointed end. Always start small and test the draw, you can always cut again and again until you get the draw you want.

roboref said:
Where do you make the cut on a torpedo cigar? I have been working on regular ones to get a cut that opens about 75 to 80 % of the available area. Do I use this same rule of thumb on torpedos?
I'd say, cut it depending on how you want the draw to be. I cut mine pretty short... if it ever feels like it isn't drawing well, I just snip it a little higher up...

My preferred method is to use a v-cutter, 99% of the time the cigar will draw great. The 1% that does not draw, I will than use a guillotine and cut the cigar on a bias angle. I have never had a problem with a cigar using either cut. The v-cut gives you the advantage of keeping most of the cigar, plus if the cigar is great than the cut is ideal for nubbing. :thumbs:

Let it be known, the search function works, and newbies like myself can find answers to their dumb questions without starting a new thread.

But I'll post anyway, just to work on padding my post count!

I'm going to the store now to buy a Monte #2. So there.

I've found that when I've v-cut a torpedo, I get a lot of tar buildup in the little hole. I prefer to cut mine with my Xikar pretty high up. I've found that method to give me a better draw.