• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to do 1st class postage online

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
Reaction score
Have had a couple of PM's about this, so I thought I'd post it in plain sight.

Whereas with Priority you can link to the login page and go zooming on from there, first class is a little more complicated, but significantly cheaper. Basically, you

1. Bring up the USPS home page
2. Click on "All products and services"
3. Scroll down to "First Class Mail" link
4. Follow the prompts from there.

Apparently there are more limitations as far as package size goes. You need to choose from a. letters/envelopes b. packages c. domestic vs. international (I think there are other options too, but you get the idea.)

It's more time-consuming as there are more choices/options you have to go thru, but for some shipments I'd say it makes sense. Oh, you can still request delivery confirmation, insurance, etc. as add-ons.

EXCEPT (see what happens when you don't do ALL your research?), there's no option for printing a label and your postage.

ALL this does is calculate the postage. Now, if you had a good supply of stamps, or access to a PB meter, this would be really helpful. As it is.....well, if I wanted to send LB a little giftie, it would only run me $1.52 to shoot it up to him vs. Priority's $3.85. So that's pretty good.

Also, USPS claims the same delivery times as for Priority, so that's another good thing. Now if they'd just let you print the postage....sigh :(

Well, it's still good info Bob.

I keep an el cheapo postage scale on my desk and a sheet or two of 83 cent stamps (good for up to 3 oz.) and sheets of 23 cent stamps for each additonal ounce. $1.08 & $1.29 are usually what it winds up costing to send three or four sticks in a small box!! You know, kinda like the lottery winnings I KEEP sending you!!! :D :D

I do think that it will only be a matter of time before the USPS let's us print on-line first class postage.

That'll be GREAT :thumbs:

I read in the FAQ at USPS.com that they are planning on adding 1st class printed labels sometime in the future. I wish they'd hurry up already!

lucasbuck said:
I read in the FAQ at USPS.com that they are planning on adding 1st class printed labels sometime in the future. I wish they'd hurry up already!
seconded.

hey guys i just used their postage calculator to figure out the exact threshold where
pm becomes preferred!

at 14 ounces, fc = 3.75 & dc = .55 , pm = 3.85 & dc = .45 so if you're using dc anything 14 oz or over you should use PM!

i want to start an all fc pass one day, where the onus is on the participants to keep the weight of the package below 14 oz!!!!!!

i don't understand why they wouldn't have it.

i mean, the formula for printing first class shouldn't be all that different than priority.

some minor changes in the code, and bam. another program for printing first class.

usps is just evil.

Because priority is a huge cash cow for them. Virtually the same service as 1st class but 4 times the price = huge margins! I'm amazed they're even considering 1st class online.

i bet many people were bitchin about it, and they eventually gave in.

as they should, them money grubbin hogs.
silly government. if they could just cut back funding for research on either blatantly obvious outcomes and stupid projects, then mebbe we could all pay less.